1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[1560am] Daryl Morey says Rockets explored Damon Stoudamire trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

http://odeo.com/audio/17679203/view

John and Lance really asked Morey some straight questions about Rafer, Battier and T-Mac. I thought it was a good listen, but, the reason I started this thread was Morey said the Rockets had talks with Memphis about trading for Damon Stoudamire, but that the Grizzlies did not want to take any salary back. By Stoudamire becoming a free agent, he is off the table for the Rockets.

2. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Damn. I always think Stoudamire is a nice help for the Rockets.

Now, I can only hope Alston keep getting possessed.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Very interesting. I would have welcomed his attitude but he is another low % guard.

4. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

Memphis wouldn't trade a valuable backup PG to a division rival for Kirk Snyder ... sounds about right.

It must suck to be a Grizz fan, knowing your team is horrible and management has little to no money to make any immediate improvements.

5. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I like Morey's honesty/openess. That being said, the conversation was probably short: "Just calling to see if you were interested in trading for Mike James? No? Okay, well, thanks for taking my call."

6. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

No, salaries dont match. If the Rockets have 5 mil expiry contract, then I think the trade is done deal.

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Which means that if they wanted to deal Bonzi and Snyder, for example, they could have had Stoudamire. They didn't want to.

I think they were offering Mike James ... maybe Rafer Alston, but that's less likely. Both players have one year longer on their deals, and both are point guards... and Morey had said, "It is hard to add a point through trade when our main thing to trade are guards."

8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

"It is hard to add a point through trade when our main thing to trade are guards."

translates into...

1) We have a whole bunch of crappy guards.

2) No body is stupid enough to give us a good guard in return for a whole bunch of crappy guards.

That's the stark reality for the Rockets.

Rockets not getting Damon is not really a loss. Last thing this team needs is yet another over the hill guard that takes bad shots. Quiet frankly, I would rather have Brooks take the time to develop his game and gain some experience. This team isn't a quick fix or two away. Heck, this team isn't even in a playoff slot as of today.

#8 Zboy, Jan 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  9. hooroo

hooroo Member

Croatia? Maybe this guy, his name was thrown about in the last draft.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft.../tracker/player?playerId=18884&draftyear=2007
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ante-Tomic-257/
    http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/antetomic.asp

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2bm9yfJ1ZVA&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2bm9yfJ1ZVA&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

10. newstart

newstart Member

More guard? No unless we can trade MJ out.

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

that's a pretty simple philosophy. why would a team willingly downgrade their PG spot without strengthening another position?

one thing i like is that they are looking into 2-for-1 deals. there is no real need to be 15 deep.

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

It's gotta be Mike James. That is the only truly "bad" contract on the roster. Pretty much any other player or combination of players likely would have gotten a deal done.

Bonzi Wells - expiring contract
    Kirk Snyder - expiring contract (restricted)
    Dikembe Mutombo - expiring contract
    Steve Francis - expiring contract? (but player option)
    Steve Novak - expiring contract? (team option)
    Carl Landry - expiring contract
    Luther Head - 1 year remaining (then restricted)
    Aaron Brooks - 1 year remaining (multiple team options)

Bottom line: At this point, I'm sure the Rockets are exploring trades of Kirk Snyder and a future second round pick to a team with a large enough trade exception in exchange for the TE and "future considerations".

13. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I agree, it's difficult -- but not impossible. The Rockets could take on a bigger contract, or sweeten the pot with a rookie or draft pick. Just as an example, Mike James' contract has two years left after this season at 6 to 6+ million per. Mike Bibby has just one year remaining, but at $14 million. So Bibby is actually owed more money.

James + expirings + asset could be a way to net an upgrade at PG. Ditto Rafer if that is any more desirable to the receiving team since he makes a million less per season.

14. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Parker is out indefinitely. Spurs need PG badly. Maybe we can trade MJ to them if they don't get Stoudamire.

15. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

bring vspan back?

*ducks*

16. bbjai

bbjai Member

I don't think Les will want to take on more money on a contract. Like in that example Bibby is infact owed more, but factor in luxury tax and you got even worse situation for the Rockets. Les would never do that. I would love for the Rockets to pick up a player in that type of $ range. Even $10 mil player. But The luxury tax implications will probably stop that.

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

which is why the rockets have to look into moving snyder of francis to a trade exception.

the rockets are about $2M over the LT, meaning that either one of those contracts is costing les around $4M. moving one of them for a TE woud save $4M and moving under the LT would earn les the $2.5M that the league gives teams which are under the LT. so that move would save les $6M. possibly enough to make a trade siilar to clutchs senario possible.

18. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

We should try and take JR Smith outta the ButtNuggets hands...George Karl doesn't have the patience or eyes to see his talent. The Nugs could also use a vet at pg like Mike James, who would probablt fit better in their offense anyway. Just hopeful thinking...

Cod

19. dedong22

dedong22 Member

as i could think of, all the guys on their team are either untouchable or too old

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

Eddie Griffin, Lonny Baxter... JR Smith?