1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[1560] Thomas Robinson on being traded to Houston 2/26

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by H-TOWNSFINEST, Feb 26, 2013.

1. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Don't forget our very own Jeremy Lin, and he was an "old" rookie. Everyone I know laughed at me when I said that he had tremendous potential, both in college when I saw him and when he was at Golden State. Keith Smart played Acie Law ahead of him, far ahead of him in fact, and Law was out of the NBA by the next year. Barkley with Yao. Lots of people with Nowitzki. It just goes on and on.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Uhhhhh... Evan Turner isn't a franchise player. He's actually a pretty big disappointment.

But I'm confident TRob will be much improved next year. It will be good to have him backing up DMo.

3. rocketblood713

he sounds like hes just glad be with Rockets lol

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Turner is probably not the best example...but,

I think you get my overall point though...at least I hope you do.

#24 Aruba77, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  5. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Look for Trob to be very similar to favors. I was really high on him also as I am with Trob and that was before the rockets aquired him. Favors has some of the best post moves from a young big in the NBA. Trob has that kind of potential also because of his athletism and how fluid his body moves he's very coordinated for such a big player. He also has good form and touch around the hoop to be able to become a dominat player on the block.

6. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

With one summer with mchale and cd he will be a much improved offensive player. This is the type of player who wants to learn and I think mchale will teach him because he has all the tools to be able to dominate in the post. Mchale did wonders for al Jefferson and Klove I looks for him to have a similar success with Trob.

7. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

Thanks! Would rep if I could.

8. Roachiep

Roachiep Member

Sacramento could ruin Lebron and Jordan. Saying Thomas Robinson has less potential and is less capable than he was 8 months ago is ignoring his obvious natural abilities and the hell-hole, talent wasting suckfest that is the Kings current organization. Time will tell, but you really have to be looking for a reason to not like this deal for the Rockets to say that this trade was anywhere close to even. Talent goes to die in Sacramento. Apparently, as the media and pretty much all of the NBA GM's and players now see it, the Houston Rockets organization has rapidly become a desirable location and a place where hope for the bright and fast-paced future is optimized. I trust D. Murray and his philosophy. The Rockets are on the fast-track back to where all us longtime fans from the early 90's always hoped we would be.

9. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Ed Davis was not the reason Memphis traded Rudy Gay.

Derrick Favors and Evan Turner are not franchise players, the 76ers were looking into Turner's trade value because he's been a big disappointment. Favors is a talent, but hasn't yet shown that he's a franchise player.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

People who say that Sactown is a bad place for young players may have a point. Cousins wouldn't be such a dumbass if he were in LA, Boston or San Antonio.

11. alX

alX Member

i wouldn't call douglas trash. i think with the patrick beverly signing, we got a younger, more in-control, higher motor and ceiling potential than toney.
    td always gave a good effort. however, i too, would opt for beverly.

aldritch was trash.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Ground Zero: the center/origin point of a cataclysmic event

I like it.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Ed Davis is a good young player that Memohis sees as their starting PF when ZBo is gone (btw: they were thinking about moving ZBo too)

Utah does consider Favors a franchise player.

Turner, on the other hand, is probably not the best example.

But you get my point ...or not I guess.

14. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Biggest bust so far is Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, #2 pick and is a starter, playing like a role player. Even had the guts to tell the media that MJ at 50 beat him in a game. I can't wait TRob's future here.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I do. I think rebounding carries over from college to the pros, so I can see TRob becoming at the very least what Hickson is this year. I'll gladly take that.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

MKG will not be a superstar scorer but he will be a quality player. He is a wing pulling down a lot of boards, making steals, and getting blocks. I see him as an Andre Igoudala type of player that will give you more at the defensive end than at the offensive end.

He does need to work on his shooting though.

17. HardLin

HardLin Member

If you're judging the trade by their draft positions post-pick it's:

Kyle Lowry (#24) + #14 + #16 VS. 2Pat(#14) + Cole Aldrich (#11) + Toney Douglas (#29)

Either way its 3 mid to late 1st rounders for #5 + Garcia (#23) + Honeycutt (#35)

I'm not sure draft position is a good way to evaluate the trade, because either way it looks about even. The thing I'm wondering about is trading Marcus Morris (#14) for a second round pick. I don't think Marcus can be considered a bust yet. I would say he's about meeting expectations for a #14 pick so far. So couldn't Morey at least get a #14 back for him?

18. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

If D Mo starts next year we will most likely have Dwight or Bynum at center. Championship center/Power forward combos... Look them up and you will see McHale needed a Parish, Dirk needed a Tyson Chandler, Gasol needed a Bynum, bad boy pistons same deal... If D Mo gets really good he'll need Asik to become much better or Dwight/Bynum.

19. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Nah I agree with your point just not your examples. You can't declare a prospect a bust simply based on his performances in his rookie year, I agree.

20. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I do have to respectfully disagree with your thoughts on this matter. There is only so much ball to go around. If D-Mo performs any where near expectations the Rockets will have 4 players who need the ball to be effective. Asik focusing on defense and rebounding is the perfect fit on a team like that.

And Bynum/Howard have been the worst possible thing for Gasol. Gasol has to have the post in order to be effective, and neither Bynum or Howard have the range to give him room on the low post. Gasol won his two rings with Kobe, playing center. And the few games Howard was out and Gasol was healthy showed Pau for what he truly is - a 20/10 NBA center. Also by the way the Lakers won those games.