1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[1560] ClutchFans on 1560am radio

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 31, 2008.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I noticed on the podcat, you could barely hear what I was saying. You answered it though, I was basically saying how is Adelman going to be able to manage a roster full of so many quality NBA players, can he keep them all happy?

This team is so deep it is amazing, Morey has done a job that reworked the roster in only 2 years, into one of, if not the deepest in the league.

Amazing.

Also, are you going to be doing Sunday morning? I always liked the relaxed atmosphere of that show.

DD

2. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Well Crikey, Just listened to the podcast.

I didn't know I asked a question that was pretty much answered in the morning segment. Sorry.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've got to pay more attention to your radio sessions, Clutch. You sound very, very cool, collected, and professional. In short, you make it seem easy. I'd be nervous!

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I should create a better thread for this, but I'll be on in about 5 minutes...

5. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

No problem Clutch. Btw, I am listening.

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Thanks Clutch!

Please talk about if there are actual viable trades for Rafer, and if it is really necessary if we really want to have serious title aspirations in our near future (like this year).

Yao getting pwned by the rim lately. He's gotten blocked by midget players in the past, now the rim is owning him.

7. Hayesfan

I'm listening too. Can we talk about rebounding Clutch? What's the issue and please don't say its just lack of height. ;)

8. DaDakota

Clutch and 1560,

The other part of the comments I had was that I think Rafer actually NEEDS shots to get a rythmn and I believe he just won't get those shots and he will actually decline in abilities because he has no shots available.

And as far as AB at the defensive end......quickness is more important than bulk, very few PGs post up...and AB can handle them in quickness.

We need a better starting PG ...Rafer is not it.

Trade Battier now, while you have time to get the chemistry together going through the rest of the season.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The spurs are struggling because you only have to guard 2 people....and the rest of their team sucks.

Great job as always Clutch.....

DD

9. LoveRoxHateJazz

10. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

First of all, good interviev Clutch. Hope to listen more of that.

But I kinda dissagree with your Rafer's standpoint. You said he doesn't hurt the team because he doesn't take many shots.

Well, first of all with Artest in the lineup it is pretty obvious that Rafer even Scola will shoot the ball less. Actually we can only appreciate that he doesn't take more because with his shooting we wouldn't have won 3 games so far.

Of course, he had a great last year, he did some great things for this team, he stepped up in the playoffs. But this is a new year, more important year. This guy is getting only good shots, wide open shots. So even if he only takes 5 or seven a game, he should made them without a doubt. It will make the difference in close games sometimes and I belive it made a difference in Boston's game too.

But at least he can control the tempo and play defense.

As for Battier. I agree, Morey is not gonna trade him. He likes Battier a lot and he loves what Shane brings to the table. But really, maybe trading him for a real pg will help? But I know one thing. It would have to be something really good and needed if Morey was gonna move Shane.

11. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Morey will not trade Battier. No way... One of the biggest reasons why Morey brought Artest here was to pair him and Shane together.

12. worzel gummidge

Rockets might not have to move another starting calibre player to improve PG. Hinrich is looking unhappier as his days coming off the bench progress. So his value could be falling?

Morey said a couple of days ago it's the top 4 or 6 players who count the rest of the roster don't really matter.

Rockets team salary (14 players): $69,974,120
    +Justin Reed $1.573M
    Total team salary: $71,547,120
    Luxury tax threshold: $71.15M
    Over LT by $397,120

4 players for 1 (Hinrich) trade scenarios

Alston, Head(expiring), Francis(expiring)

+Wafer(non-guaranteed), team salary reduced by $294k
    or
    +Dorsey, team salary reduced by $313k
    or
    +Hayes, team salary reduced by $1.26M
    or
    +Landry, team salary reduced by $2.49M
    or
    +Scola, team salary reduced by $2.59M

Rockets would then need to add 3 players to achieve the minimum 13 player roster

Say the Rockets are able to trade with the Wafer combination. They can later on salary dump Hayes to keep under LT and still keep their top 8 players.
    <table border="0"><tr><th>Hinrich</th></tr><tr><td>08-09</td><td>09-10</td><td>10-11</td><td>11-12</td>
    </tr><tr><td>$10M</td><td>$9.5M</td><td>$9M</td><td>$8M</td.</tr></table>
    Looking ahead: Artest 2009 free agency
    Rockets: start $9M @ max 10.5% increases over max 6 years = c. $70M
    Any other team: start $12M @ max 8% increases over max 5 years = c. $70M

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't think trading Battier + filler for Hinrich makes us a better team. I don't consider Battier a redundancy. And Hinrich is making like 10 million a year for the next couple seasons. That'll hurt us.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

In a playoff series, that may be true to a large extent. But over the course of the season, depth and versatiliy matters and I'm sure he recognizes that. We lose both by adding Hinrich for Battier (we're not going to play 3 PGs in the rotation), and I think the gains at PG are marginal if last season was any indication. Plus Hinrich just costs too much.

15. worzel gummidge

IMO, he can be easily moved maybe even next off-season if they want to and importantly not have negative trade value.

I'm not advocating a Hinrich trade involving Battier. It's Rafer + expirings. The next tier down salary-wise you're looking at PGs like Earl Watson, Luke Ridnour, Marcus Banks, and Antonio Daniels. IIRC the Rockets had past interest in Daniels.

16. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Rafer's bad shooting is hurting us THIS year so far and the past years.

Crossing our fingers and hoping for the best is no longer good enough. Morey needs to be proactive in this problem.

Let's just say we get to the playoffs and Rafer's bad shooting is the main difference of why we couldn't advance to the WCF or the Finals. (I don't think I'm stretching reality by assuming that.)

Is that good enough for us Rockets fans? Can any of you live with that result?

Frankly, we're too close in not trying to rounding out the rough edges to maximize our chances in the playoffs. Morey would actually be doing a disservice to himself in realizing that all the brilliant moves he made went for naught if we get bounced in the playoffs because he didn't make a move on the one last glaring issue we have.

If Morey can get Hinrich without giving Shane, I'm all aboard. I don't think we have enough filler contracts to add to Rafer's though. (No Landry or Scola in deal)

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

18. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

thank you very much, listening...

19. Hayesfan

me too, thanks clutch

20. DaDakota

I would but I have a conference call in a few, if I end in time I will try to listen in.

Clutch see if you can find out about Hayes shoulder injury.

DD