1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

15.5 million in dead wood?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by anitasri, Jun 14, 2006.

1. anitasri

anitasri Member

I am not sure how we even got here- but the prioirty should be to dismantle the 15.5 million salary ( Swith Jho and Sura) that will basically make sure that the Tmac?ming Dynasty will never happen.

I know a lot of stuff is said about character etc etc- but at this time I will basically trade for Zach Randolph and Miles and any other guy who has not yet fired a gun at someone!

It is OK that we tolerate Sura eternally being the secret shopper at Night clubs and Jho failing to pay for costly sunglasses before he gets caught- but somehow people argue passionately about others.
    Heck I will even consider getting a "mature" Stevie Franhchise back ( knowing that it is an Oxymoron) or heck even Stephon Marbury.

What good is our first round pick for next year or the the 8th pick- let us do something about this dead wood that will come and haunt us.

Any- and I mean it sincerely ANY stable PF and SG combo worth their name would give us the boost needed as long as they accept their roles. a 3 way deal with LA where Lamar goes to Rockets, PJ to LA and we get NOK's pick and LA gets our 8th?

We will be light years ahead at PF spot- we have the NOK pick for the SG heck if Redick drops why not? Or we always have Brewer or Ager!!

I am proposing a man law against this kind of salary dead wood!

2. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

If you think these guys are deadwood, why do you think anyone is willing to take them on (Especially Juwan with 3 more years and about to hit his mid-30s making over 7 million a year).

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

And further, if you think that this 15.5 million dollars in dead wood is crippling the franchise, why in gods name would you take on a contract like Darius Miles? Not only is his contract bigger than any of those guys you mentioned, but it's for another five years or so. Same thing with Zach Randolph. Zach Randolph can at least put up numbers on a bad team, but Darius Miles? C'mon.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Nearly every team has deadwood, including the good teams like Dallas and San Antonio. It comes with the territory. Teams that have no deadwood salaries are usually very bad because they aren't trying their best to win (see Charlotte).

When trading one deadwood for another, the goal should be to shorten the term of the contracts.

5. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

let's see... so we traded #8 for Lamar Odom and NOK's pick; LA traded Lamar Odom for our #8 pick and PJ Brown; and NOK traded PJ and their 1st pick for..... hmm... nothing. you sure are smart, I like your trade idea ;)

6. anitasri

anitasri Member

The Other teams deadwood does not hurt them as badly it does for us.
    Sure the prospect of Darius miles on Rockets Jersey is not something I welcome- but how pretty does Jho look for the next 2 years?

If we dont get our ShXXT together this coming season- the Ming Mac experiment is over.

We took back Moochie did we not and we got rid of MoT- There is a price for everything in the NBA- if it means taking on Darius miles well I would do it in a heart Beat? Rasheed was a malcontent in Portland- but he did OK In Detroit- While Darius is no Rasheed- still he is good enough for me ( if we get rid of some of our deadwood)

If he does not work out- atleast he is young enough to be traded or atleast be a part of trade. Agreed his contract is longer- but if that frees the team up to win 2 championships in the next 4 years- I would not give a damn?
    If you want to be an elite team you cant keep doing the Salary Cap calculations- strategically it would be silly for us to worry about that.

A trade with Picks - especially a 2007 first round pick and perhaps this year 2nd round should be good enough for Jho for Miles- We will be dealing with other Dead End teams- you just have to lump that. At this point the market for D Miles is not exactly hot!

What do you expect for Jho a Stud Power Forward?

If we dont make it to the elite next year ( ie Conferecen final)- we may as well trade Tmac away- before his health catches up with him. I am the biggest fan of Tmac and his game- but I love my Rockets more than any one Individual.

I am at a point- if we get a decent deal that addresses some of our needs- I am willing to trade our 8th round pick ( since I doubt we will trade up for Roy- who is the only guy worth any thing for Rockets) Any other pick would be a toss up- I like Brewer though!

From a risk reward perspective- it is better if we chance second round picks ( there is a ton of talent that could go a "Manu Ginobili " on us- James White, Diaz, Gansey, Pittsnoggle, Hassan Adams, even the Chinese PG/SG so Yao can trash Talk in Chinese! At least we will have a bench that is younger and hungry to prove themselves.

7. anitasri

anitasri Member

Charlotte- my friend has not been in the league for long to even have deadwood.

And who passed that rule on Deadwood? Not sure where people come up with these golden rules!

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

One way to get the dreaded deadwood out is to swap the #8 to a really good team wanting to develop a guy (as in Dallas with Harris). For example, something on the line of Daniels/Stack for Howard/filler/#8. Or an SnT to Indy for JuHo and filler for Peja/SJax. As examples of a concept, NOT a trade thread.

9. anitasri

anitasri Member

I would not be taking comment about my intellect very seriously. Well they can take anyone ont he Rockets except Ming and Mac and also the next year first round- if they take Juwan and Sura- or even Stro and Sura!

10. anitasri

anitasri Member

I like the second idea- I am not sure Peja would be a possibility, they are trying to move Sjax- so any thing like Jasakevicius and Sjax would be just great. Steve Jax has talent.

Unless you want to take a chance on Tinsley before Isiah grabs him!!!!!!!1

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Tinsley's per game cost is too dear. What does the guy avg, @50 games/year?

12. anitasri

anitasri Member

Can you name the Dead wood on SA and Dallas that compare to ours? I hope you dont come up with Mike Finley now!

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

BBarry/Rasha/Nazr...Daniels/Dampier

But, no, their rosters are replete with solid oak (who even elevate the deadwood mentioned).

14. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

"DEADWOOD" is like a plague in the NBA! There's no doubt that JHo's salary in 3 more years will hunt us down. I'm okey on Sura if he'll be able to play and contribute in any cause defensively and offensively on both end of the floor. But Stro's will be the X-factor on these team if he mold the team the right way. :rolleyes:

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

A deal involving Juwan for Darius could not possibly hurt this team. On the other hand, it could turn out to help us quite a bit.

16. anitasri

anitasri Member

I will take any or all of them over our dead wood even today ( welle xcept Dampier so he can be Yao's BiXXTHC!)

Dampier- if you are watching the finals- has more than made up for his lacklusture performance- well almost!

I would take Barry/NAzi And Daniels on our team for our trash. There is absolutely no comparision with our guys!

17. anitasri

anitasri Member

I still expect Stro to do well under a Coach who can motivate him- JVG cannot deal with players like Stro-I personally think we should have an Asst Head Coach slot- just to have a good cop/Bad Cop routine! Preferably some one like Mario Elie!

18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Easier said than done. And if you don't know how we got here, you must either be 1. figuratively speaking or 2. just realized that Houston had a professional basketball team. If the Rockets are so anxious to make this 'dismantle', then why haven't they done it? Maybe because no other team in the NBA wants them?

I hope this is just offseason boredom talk. If you've been a Rockets fan for a long time, you better remember the Rodrick Rhodes, the Randy Livingstons, the Pete Chilcutts that have came and went. One lottery season because of so many injuries is not time to be irrational. But yea lets entertain your desire of Randolph and Miles. How are we going to do this?

So what if Sura goes to night clubs? Has he been caught toting a gun around town? Has he been caught with mar1juana in his bag or car? Has he even punched his own teammate like the guys you wanted have?

You must be on some of that homegrown stuff if you think that we can get rid of "deadwood" by enticing other teams with our 8th pick.

Are you new to the NBA? Because you obviously think that teams are out there waiting to suck the Rockets off. This is the NBA--why should any team do a service for us and a disservice for themselves in the same deal?

We don't need a 20/10 guy at PF. It'd be nice if we did but we don't need one. We need a PF that can defend and rebound and hit the occassional jumper.

I am proposing that you keep on posting because idiocy like this only comes around during the offseason and it keeps me entertained.

19. anitasri

anitasri Member

I have no problems with all of your comments- just dont get personal. Either you are too slow or dont understand a rhetorical question ( the one regarding how we got here).

I will not live in the past-We have made a lot of disastrous decisions since the one's you mentioned. That does not mean we dont address the main issue- to me it is not who we pick in the draft- I would sacrifice the excitement to get a known quantity.

I have no problems with what Sura does including his now famous "hair Dye"- when My team is paying serious money, I have the right to complain. let him take the money- I have no problem, let him retire and scout for the best night spots for Yao!

50% of this country has smoke Pot? So what are you suggesting?

Trading happens for a reason- and worse people than Juwan and stro were traded- so I am not sure what authority you are assuming to say no market exists- for heaven's sake we had offers for David Wesley's expiring contract- I just hope we dont bring him back because of loyalty factor ( except as a veteran at the minimum salary)

Who is asking you stop just at the 8th pick, Dont touch Yao and Mac- and everything and everyone is on the table.

Let me hear about your wish list for the PF other than from the draft? If you can find them why not! Bring the guy right on. Let me hear how you will bring such a person on the roster.

You are entitled to you opinion- but dont get personal, go ahead debate it with logic not " it wont happen or can't happen"- there is price for everything in the NBA- I think getting rid of someone like Juwan for Darius Miles is possible if you want to do it- that may not get you the power forward- but I would rather lose a guy whose =/- or on court/off court is so loaded against the team. Why do you think we retained Hayes? Do you think Morey was hired just because he has a fancy degree?

20. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

At ther very least, if not directly but by a package deal Swift, who needs an up tempo team & an uptempo coach to flourish and Sura last year contract should be worked into another package deal. If this dead wood money is not made available quickly to the Rockets then you must be patient as it is going to take another three seasons to build our championship team!
    J. Howard can still be a decent back up spot up shooter, but I rather on some other team than the Rox.