1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[12th year]Clyde Drexler Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kam, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Tommorow, Valentines day, is the 12th anniversary of the trade that brought Clyde Drexler back home to Houston.

Clyde is a Houstonian. He played his high school ball in Houston. He played his college ball in Houston.

His number hangs high in the rafters of Toyota Center.

By doing this trade, it brought Clyde Drexler back to Houston. He was traded for Otis Thorpe.

With this trade, it helped the Rockets win their second championship.

this trade also ended the career of Vernon Maxwell. No, it did not "de-clutch" the Rockets.

He was still Mad, but never MadMax again.

<3

Happy Valentines Day.

2. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

I was at the game. Most people did not know about the trade until they announced Drexler being a Rocket at the half. That was an awesome experience.

3. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Good memory for sure, especially since I was at the game that night when he (and Tracy Murray) walked in on a standing ovation. It was by birthday so it made it a VERY nice occasion.

Still hard to imagin they acquired him for just Otis Thorpe.

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Slower people in the group are talking again!

5. kjames44

kjames44 Member

That was an awesome experience! I was happy to see Clyde and Tracy walk up that tunnel during halftime. I don't know if we'll ever have a more memorable trade...we haven't had one since and that's for sure.

6. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Now let's trade Clyde again -- this time for Calvin Murphy!

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

yeah, i was def. there when they walked in the tunnel, too..great stuff.

8. agentkirb

agentkirb Member

Word... I'm not having his "Alston should be an Allstar" talk. I hope he doesn't seriously think that.

9. BullFan

BullFan Member

wow 12 years ago...van dam

10. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I was 10 but I can remember vividly sitting in front of the radio listening to radio coverage for trades like Glide and Barkley.

Hell, I remember asking my dad at the Summit in '92 "Dad, who is the best player on the Rockets?" We had just moved from Boston and my dad must've been so used to Larry Bird and the great Celtic teams of the 80's, but I could tell the guy was blown over by the things Hakeem did every night. I've been hooked ever since.

11. Chronz

Chronz Member

Today he said Chuck was a great finisher.

12. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

Otis Thorpe has been on the "bad commodity" of some pretty rotten deals, namely this one and the infamous Grizzlies "protected pick" deal that gave the Pistons the 2nd pick in the draft after winning a championship (which they used on Darko, thus passing on Melo, Bosh, and Dwade - the guy that may have cost them more).

13. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

the rockets made a great move getting a seasoned veteran like clyde drexler who KNOWS what it takes to win.

too bad lightening didnt strike twice when they brought him back again

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. with all due respect to Clyde,
    Otis Thorpe shoulded be worshiped as a hardworker and one of the building blocks of the 1st championship.

2. Max already stated earlier in the season that he was going to leave if they never renew his contract. Trading for Clyde only hurt his feelings cause Max is a passionate sensitive guy.

3. MadMax FOREVER

15. tinman

Supporting Member

Otis Thorpe was a warrior. He complimented Dream like the sun compliments the earth. Imagine if Otis Thorpe was on this team setting picks, and throwing one handed outlet passes. Imagine Otis thorpe dropping his 50% dunks and playing tough interior defense. #33 = OTIS

It was great getting Clyde but thank you OT for the greatest years in ROCKETS POWERFORWARD HISTORY!!

[​IMG]

16. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Man, I remember this trade. I went NUTS; I had always been a Drexler fan, and this just made me crazy-go-nuts.

17. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Agreed. OT was tough as nails, worked his a$$ off, showed up to play each and every night, and never once let down his team, nor did he put down the Rockets after we traded him. I loved seeing him do that one-handed hang from the rim after a dunk and his baseball style outlet passes were incredible.

I was nearly crushed when I heard that we traded OT as #33 was my favorite Rocket not nicknamed Dream. That is, I was nearly crushed until I heard that we traded OT for Clyde. I made peace with the decision over the few weeks following the trade.

18. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

this is a Clyde Drexler thread. does the title say anything about that douchbag of a person, Vernon Maxwell?

19. tinman

Supporting Member

Kam mentioned it in his post. so Yes.

you can do the VSPAN now.

#19 tinman, Feb 14, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  20. tinman

Supporting Member

the great thing about the 93 Rockets are that they all remained friends no matter what other people say about them.
    yes ALL OF THEM ;) OT was supporting Horry during his Katrina fund raiser. OT and Rudy play golf together. Mario and Sam did that shoe store thing. you know who calling up his friend Sam last year for encouragement.
    no matter what WE think of them individually, they are always a team that bonded on and off the court. Heroes. They all knew it was business. Besides OT was pivotal again in getting another championship cause without him, we don't get Clyde.