1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

100 years from now......

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ty_Webb, Jul 31, 2001.

1. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

What will people shake their heads at, when they look back at todays America and? The same way we cringe at our ancestors treatment of blacks, American Indians, etc….

I would say the Death penalty and abortion. I am actually for the death penalty and pro choice, so I guess I am going to be looked upon as one of the bad guys [​IMG] oh well, I just don't see viable solutions for either of the issues. Hopefully someone will come up with something so we can stop killing people.

[This message has been edited by Ty_Webb (edited July 31, 2001).]

2. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Hmmm.

Abortion terminates an INNOCENT human life.

The Death Penalty usually is and should be exercised only against persons found GUILTY of capital crimes.

I find it impossible to lump those two together.

------------------
    "How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak. Because someday you will have been all of these."

3. PhiSlammaJamma

How bad the Griffin trade was for the nets!

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Rich, don't turn this into another abortion/death penalty argument. The thread is: what will people 100 years from now reproach us for.

My vote is the UN.

------------------
    RealGM
    Gafford Art
    Artisan Cakes

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Oh Gawd...here we go with an abortion debate...

Anyways, I think that, 100 years from now, people will look back and say, "DAMN, why didn't Hakeem just retire after the 2000-2001 season like he said he would?!"

------------------
    Mein bratwurst has a first name, it's F-R-I-T-Z
    Mein bratwurst has a second name, it's S-C-H-N-A-C-K-E-N-P-F-E-F-F-E-R-H-A-U-S-E-N

[This message has been edited by A-Train (edited July 31, 2001).]

6. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

dammit...double post...carry on

[This message has been edited by A-Train (edited July 31, 2001).]

7. PhiSlammaJamma

anyone see Sting on Conan last night, doing the year 2000 thing? That was hilarious.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

8. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

PhiSlammaJamma- Houston is the only city in the US that doesn't air Conan at his scheduled time. He comes on at around 3 in the morning, after a repeat of the news and some trashy talk show. That is one of the main reasons I didn't move back to Houston.

As far as the topic goes, I think the super-liberal people of the future will look back on the politics of today, and laugh. That is, of course, assuming that the human race lasts that long.

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

The next person to post on my message board will win a prize!

The ZRBucks!

[This message has been edited by ZRB (edited July 31, 2001).]

9. outlaw

outlaw Member

conan is on a 1:05 AM now. earlier but still not early enough for most people.

------------------

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Most likely, 100 years from now, we'll all be dead. [​IMG]

------------------
    Who's your buddy? Who's your pal? I am, aren't I?

11. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Okay, how about this: "I can't believe that those people allowed the killing of innocent pre-born children but loudly protested the Death Sentence for convicted capital offenders."

I hope that they will cringe at that anyway.

------------------
    "How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak. Because someday you will have been all of these."

12. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

Rich, I am pro Death Penalty, but try putting abortion out of your mind and consider the two things separate issues. Do you not think people will look at the killing of criminals, as inhumane or barbaric? I am not proposing that we do away with the DP, I don’t think there is punishment or secure enough jail to house some criminals, maybe there will be someday.

------------------
    Now this shirt is chafing me

13. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

That's right!

------------------
    Rarely is the question asked: Guns kill squirrels than REDRUM to fools across the nation?

14. haven

haven Member

Hard to say which ideas will win out.

Historically, cultures have become increasingly liberal. But in any given period, they can become more conservative.

I actually think that 100 years from not nationalism will be thought upon as divisive and barbaric. And probably homophobia as well.

------------------
    Clutchcity.net... source for all your Rockets, Astros, political, music, humor, and Gordita news.

15. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Historically, people were more barbaric than we are now. Ever heard of being drawn-and-quartered? Did you see Braveheart? Don't even ask about most of the Native Americans. McVeigh's death was peaceful compared to the misery and suffering he inflicted.

The violence used to be commited by the Powerful against the Powerless. Now the violence is usually committed by the criminal class against themselves. We have a lot of violence but most often it is contained in a violent community such as the gang population.

The newspaper always reads something like this: "A man was killed..." -- making it sound like he was an innocent bookkeeper. Many times the man that was killed has willingly and knowingly entered into a dangerous business like the drug trade and has, perhaps, even killed someone himself before. He's generally not your neighbor. He's more of a hood than a man. If he is your neighbor, you should move.

Our methods for executing convicted capital criminals is usually very tame compared to the violent acts (and sometimes multiple violent acts) that these human pigs commit.

I'm more interested in safety than punishment or rehabilitation. Criminals make choices for which the should absolutely be held accountable.

haven: isn't it true that with that historical liberalizing tendency that most of those cultures "enjoy" simply pass into the dust bin of history, a la The Roman Empire?

Hooray for Conservatism-- whose root word is conserve!

------------------

[This message has been edited by RichRocket (edited July 31, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by RichRocket (edited July 31, 2001).]

16. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

It is always amazing how man is able to rationalize his own inhuman acts by dehumanizing the ones that those acts are committed against. You might see a (probably) poor, (probably) minority, (probably) uneducated "pig" who certainly doesn't live in your safe neighborhood and deserves whatever fate he gets. I just see a man.

------------------
    I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip that I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.

[This message has been edited by SamCassell (edited July 31, 2001).]

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Can you name me one society that has not made it to the dust bin of history? Most have, and those who have not have still tended to become more liberal.

------------------
    When you make an assumption, you make an ass out of Uma Thurman.

18. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Sam: I've got too much responsible living to do to worry too much about those who choose the criminal lifestyle. I said nothing about race or educational background; I talked about choices made. Play the race card if you want, but I'm not biting. By the way, if you really "just see a man," you are likely to wind up a victim somewhere down the road. That's naive.

RM95: I think the point is that liberalization is a spiralling descent into the dustbin of history. Those that aren't there are headed there if they embrace liberalization. It's very simple. That doesn't mean that we have to re-create the 1950s but we have to be very careful about what "improvements" we sanction or endorse because there will be unforseen effects.

------------------

19. haven

haven Member

Actually, cultures that remain conservative tend to stagnate and fade away. No more developments!

Examples of such encompass China for millenia (it was once the greatest country of the world, but was declined in its unwillingness to change, and when it finally did change radicalized), Iran, Iraq etc (where the revolutions have even been conservative).

Democracy was once a liberal idea. So were most of the other ideas that you hold sacred. Oddly enough, Adam Smith was once considered a liberal. Now he's the posterboy for conservative-capitalism. Societies develop, grow, discard old ideas that no longer work and adopt new ones. If you don't, then you're doomed, because the only constant is change and the surivival of a system relies on its ability to adapt.

Is there ever a point that we can annoucne "aha! We've gone far enough. Now the liberals will be wrong from this point forward!" ? I don't think so. But conservatives in every era have insisted on this while being blind to the fact that the ideas that they currently expound were once considered liberal and progressive themselves.

Progress is a good thing :p.

------------------
    Clutchcity.net... source for all your Rockets, Astros, political, music, humor, and Gordita news.

[This message has been edited by haven (edited July 31, 2001).]

20. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Rich, I wasn't playing cards. My point is that statistics overwhelmingly demonstrate that those who are poor, or uneducated, or minorities, are much more likely to "choose the criminal lifestyle." I believe that every man is answerable for his choices in life but also cannot deny that one's perceived options are largely determined by his circumstances.

I don't feel that my reaction to your comments demonstrates naivette. Rather, you are naive if you think that societal factors do not weigh in to people's life decisions, and those who are raised in a poor, crime-ridden neighborhood do not always have the option of leaving for a better one. Further, I do not hold myself so morally superior as to decide that those people who make the wrong choices have forfeited their right to live.

------------------
    I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip that I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.