1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

100% NOT behind Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pippsux, Oct 7, 2019.

1. pippsux

pippsux Member

You missed the point, but I'm finding out a lot about the fans in here......
    What he did was very admirable, lauded give him a Nobel Laureate, but he forgot he is not island to himself. Even when he sleeps, he is employed by Tilman. His job is not to harm his bosses bottom line.

Not only did he screw his boss, but he screwed his bosses partners, the league and it's commissioner.....

I hope it was worth it

jcf likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Thank you for your kind words “dope fiend”.

Also I think it is fitting that you claim to be in Germany. There was a brutal oppressive dictator there that claimed people didn’t assimilate fast enough and needed to be put in concentration camps... what a coincidence.

肏你妈

3. Garner

Garner Member

1. Could you please provide a copy of the terms of employment paperwork your referencing for GM's in the NBA? I was unaware this was publicly available and clearly am less familiar with the precise terms than you.

2. DM's twitter account is not administered by the Houston Rockets. It's a personal account. His tweet did not reference the Houston Rockets or his employer, Tilman Frittata. His tweet showed support of his Hong Kong customer base.

3. If/when DM gets fired, NBA teams will fall over themselves to hire him. He's top 3 in the league at his job.

4. Get a new team in the CBA. The NBA is clearly not for you.

5. Morals.

Nook, dachuda86 and YOLO like this.
  4. pippsux

pippsux Member

Exactly

5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

propagandist gonna propagandize

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Incorrect. His job is to build a championship team. The Rockets CEO Tad Brown is in charge of the bottom line.

Maybe you should research before opening your mouth about an American business.

Nook, marky :) and YOLO like this.
  7. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

There is only one way Morey's reputation comes out somewhat tarnished at the end of this saga. If China permanently bans Houston and only Houston games from streaming and Rockets merch.

This would effectively create an implicit bias against playing for Houston when it comes to Free Agency - since China jersey and sneaker sales do represent a sizable chunk of player sponsorships. For a guys like Harden, Durant, LeBron, or future superstars like Brow/Zion that could play a role in free agency decisions. And at the end of the day, while no one from Clutchfans cares about owner profits nor Tilman, they do care about Houston's chances in winning a ring.

pippsux likes this.
  8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trying to come up with an analogous situation. Best I can think of is Charlie Hebdo.

Over/under on number of days until someone is murdered over this?

Nook likes this.
  9. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Can we judge our heroes on a spectrum? I mean, I definitely don't see him as the villain here. He's more like one part hero, two-parts catalyst. Also, to be clear, I'm not taking a moral high ground here. I'm not going to demonize Morey for making an off the cuff political statement, or for walking it back. I think we've all been there. I just also would resist temptation to lionize him. And no, I don't want American companies apologizing for Chinese Government policies, but once again, I don't think Morey was intending to take this big stand when he made that tweet so I can't give him that sort of credit. I made the comparison to Kaepernick, who told everyone what he was doing before the season started, and kept it up the whole time even after tons of backlash. Agree or not with him, he sure had perseverance.

10. pippsux

pippsux Member

Nothing worse than arguing with someone who is not even on the same wave length... Ok this is for you...

If you were an employer, let's say Tilman, what would you do? Remember, you just lost a huge investment because of your manager, and a profitable relationship and unwanted negative press... What would you do as an owner to this GM?

11. Garner

Garner Member

Not really. Morey comes out with the moral high ground.

You know what Free Agency story you've never heard? HUGE FREE AGENT STAR XYZ chose Houston over DESTINATION CITY because of Chinese shoe sales.

Nook likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

What do you mean Morey cannot support mobs and riots in Hong Kong? He absolutely can. This isn’t China, the government doesn’t have the right to tell him what his opinion should be and whether he can express it.

Further he can absolutely support Hong Kong wanting to break off from the CCP if he wants to. Just like he supports Taiwan being a separate and free nation.

It’s called self determination.

I agree with you that the Chinese Army could go in there and crush Hong Kong. They haven’t because the whole world is watching.

You have the right to disagree with Morey and the NBA.

YOLO and Ottomaton like this.
  13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The scenario you played out actually tarnishes China, as a whole, a lot more than Daryl Morey.

Nook likes this.
  14. Garner

Garner Member

1. Please provide the Terms of Employment you previously referenced. It's important to establish this debate, as sensitive as it is, is as factually based as possible. To throw around assumptions and conjecture is irresponsible.

2. Tillman may still fire Morey. DM has the right to express whatever he likes, in the same way Tilman has the right to terminate his employment.

3. Why would I consider an organization supporting Democracy and the Hong Kong Protests negative press? I'm quite at peace with the NBA not being exported to China.

15. thedopefiend

thedopefiend Member

What an ugly fan base in Houston. Truly disgusting

bearrider likes this.
  16. pippsux

pippsux Member

So it's ok for Morey to make Tad's Job more difficult?????
    Ok fine, it's not his job, so how did this tweet make Tad Brown sleep, knowing the GM, who hasnt won jack, just cost his boss.?
    Unless you are telling me that Morey isn't in Brown and Tilmans office being chewed out about the bottom line.

This is the real world, not a movie, let's not romanticize what he did.

17. Nook

Nook Member

These are issues that were going to need to be addressed and would (and will continue) to have emerged with or without Daryl Morey.

China believes they can control what is and isn’t said about them around the world by applying economic pressure through the CCP. They believe they can do horrendous things without being questioned.

That isn’t compatible with the West and the history of trade, and would need to be addressed eventually and it has all been coming to a head.

18. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Your stance on this is clear, so let me ask you a similar question. What kind of atrocities would China have to commit before you would take a stand that doesn't favor your bottom line? In your scenario, what would China have to do before you would stand with Morey?

19. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

1. China wasn't a huge market until maybe the most recent few years, and China's economy is only going to trend higher at this point.
    2. China's never banned any team specific merch before.
    3. I hear about stars going to play for bigger cities over smaller markets all the time. Smaller markets like Cleveland, Indiana, OKC, all needed to build via draft while larger markets like Miami, LA, Boston, NYC, and Houston to a smaller extent are able to pull in superstars because of the extended marketability.

Morey already walked back his tweet btw, in an effort to mend fences with China.

20. pippsux

pippsux Member

Preach