1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

$100 a barrel oil

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by olliez, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I wasn't alive then, but wasn't it worse in the 70's?

2. insane man

insane man Member

there was a reason for it the last time this happened. theres no reason now.

3. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

High Oil prices are great for rich liberals like Gore. They can afford it and still live their luxurious lifestyles.

I mean, really, this is what a lot of what the environmental agenda is....there's very little practicing of what we preach when it comes to these folks...because they know that high oil prices doesn't hurt them, just poor people and the middle class.

4. danny317

danny317 Member

if oil get to $100 i wonder how much gas will cost. $4-5/gallon... :eek:

rich just keep getting richer and everyone else just keeps getting poorer. i wish i were rich.

5. danny317

danny317 Member

and rich conservatives like bush and cheney.

6. insane man

insane man Member

canadian boy, tell us, how does your comment make any sense.

high oil prices would be great for someone who benefits from high oil prices. how does gore 'benefit'? he can deal with it. but he doesn't benefit. and hence how is it 'great'. its neutral. its irrelevant. its not great is it?

what is the environmental agenda? knowledge that most people who are affluent will not be affected negatively from high oil prices? how is taht an agenda? thats just reality.

and becacuse if al gore reduced his personal environmental damage, that somehow would be SO much more beneficial than if he started a movement that limited the global environmental damage.

your points make no sense. stop talking out of your ass.

7. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Oil prices adjusted for inflation:

[​IMG]

8. insane man

insane man Member

bloomberg

9. NewYorker

people like gore will cheer higher oil prices, because it puts gas out of reach of less affluent people, and thus makes them feel good that the environment is safer. with less co2 being spewed by the less affluent, gore doens't have to feel guilty about jet-setting around and preaching about their environment.

10. NewYorker

what do people expect, the fed cutting interest rates is going to drive the price of oil up for multiple reasons.

11. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

That's one thing I have wondered. Even though oil is trading at such a high cost, I have seen the gasoline markets around my area remain relatively stable and prices are still between $2.55-$2.65 per gallon. I remember not too long ago it reached $3.22 a gallon and oil was nowhere near the price it is now. Why has gas not skyrocketed?

12. danny317

danny317 Member

not too sure. im not an expert on the oil industry but it may have to do with high output at the refineries.

broke $90 today.

i bet you all those oil companies are gonna have big bonuses at the end of the year and a phat check and board seats for bush and cheney when they leave office.

13. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

I can see $91 a barrel for a while.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Part of the reason, IMO, is the weakness of the dollar. Isn't it interesting that as the dollar has plummeted, the price of oil has steadily risen?

D&D. Attempt to Keep it Civil!

Impeach Bush.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The cheap dollar one reason investors are betting on commodities like gold, oil, and corn. The other reason is stock market, bond/currency and real estate uncertainty. Oil and other commodities are used as simple proxies for international growth, and its popularity among investors is only going to grow.

OPEC is so entrenched that it hasn't been discussed much in this topic so far. As long as they value oil in cheap dollars, they're going to tightly control supply to increase their return. They (Saudi primarily) could cut the price of oil in weeks, but most are using the windfall to bankroll public pacification projects as most are dictatorial authoritarian states. I'm surprised they're still trading in dollars. This is probably a testament to our friendship with Saudi Arabia and not because they're fools.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I kind of wish the iraq war was about getting cheap oil.

17. insane man

insane man Member

sr is pegged to the dollar.

18. olliez

say hello to 92

19. olliez

Welcome, 93 !

:D

20. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member