1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

10 years ago all hell broke loose at the 'Malice at the Palace'

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mr. 13 in 33, Nov 19, 2014.

1. MrJason

MrJason Member

If I recall. The African American guy swinging at Artest in the stands was actually Ben Wallace's brother and he was subsequently banned from all games

2. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

That was truly sad. Changed careers. Changed NBA history. Most sad to see Artest, trying to stay cool and doing so well, until. . . . I remember the scariest freakin picture of him on that day. . . . Do not step in this guy's way:

[​IMG]

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw this live when it happened.
    Fell out of my sofa when it happened!

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The NBA was realer back in the 90s.

5. rockettes

rockettes Rookie

detroit the city is now a dump
    they deserve it

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I thought that was Tinsley who came out the tunnel with that sweeper thing shaking it at fans. I don't know why but my friends and I crack up at that moment so much. The whole situation that happened that night was ****ed up but that moment pure comedy.

I remember seeing this live - I was at my parents it was a Friday night they were going to temple and I was supposed to go with them but decided to stay back to watch the Pistons/Pacers game (it was a major marquee matchup back then) and once this started happening I could not believe it. It was by far the craziest thing I have seen live when it comes to sports that wasnt sports related.

7. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Just around the 4:10 mark. :grin:

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

Wonder who would have won had Artest and Wallace went at it with no rules.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I think that is a complete toss up.

10. OmenXYZ

OmenXYZ Member

I can't believe I was 11 when this happened, I remember watching this with my dad and then telling him the suspensions over the phone when they were announced.

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

:grin: .

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'm going with Ben on sheer strength, but Artest's quickness could pose a problem. Plus Ben had the fro.

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I say this with no doubt whatsoever in my mind, and I know Ben is built like a rock, but guys like artest when they get in the zone don't have any inhibitions...they let loose. I've seen 5'6" weaklings take out 6'+ guys just with the sheer ferocity they attacked with. Artest is one of the guys nobody in the NBA wants to pick on and he would have done w.e it was, cheap shot or not, to get Wallace on the ground and mince him up.

14. Asian Sensation

I loved Artest when he was here but that Artest was a punk. He came down on Wallace with both hands and clearly didn't even try to make a play on the ball. He knew damn well what he was doing and when things really popped off he didn't fight back against Wallace for good reason. He already had a bad rep at that time for dirty plays, cheap shots and trying to bully other players. He finally ****ed with the wrong dude that time. I guarantee had that been anyone else that shoved Artest in the throat like that..... Artest would have fought back. No doubt IMO. Big Ben is a truly scary dude. He would've slaughtered Artest.

[​IMG]

Yea... Not messing with that dude.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

What if Ben is the same type when he sees red? Like seeing two Lions go at it (not the boring discovery channel type, but the hood type).

16. Asian Sensation

Ben is the type that seems cool, laid back and chill only because he's better socially adjusted to the world than Artest but I guarantee there's a beast that lies in Ben aside from his stature and physical appearance. The eyes never lie and Wallace's eyes tell me scary stuff.

17. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

3:29 gets me everytime

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I remember exactly where I was watching that game too. T-Mac's Spurs explosion was around the same time. I know because I watched it at the same place.

19. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

Obviously what Artest and even Jackson did in the stands was wrong, but the whole thing probably doesn't go down as it did if Ben Wallace didn't go as crazy as he did after the foul. Ben was the most beloved Piston back then. He was the embodiment of the Pistons and really Detroit back then. I really think had Ben not gone as over the top after the foul the fan who threw the drink on Artest would never had done so because I think the reason it happened is the fan sticking up for Ben because of how pissed he was.

20. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind seeing a 30 for 30 on this. Would be interesting to get details. Who the fans were (who threw the beer, who was hit, etc.), what happened to the players the next few years, etc.

The part that always makes me laugh is around the 36 second mark, Stephen Jackson putting up his fists to Rip Hamilton (of all people), and constantly stepping back.