1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

10 Things Most Americans Don't Know About America

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SacTown, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

The biggest, most solid point of this otherwise kind of crummy article was this: Most people in the world, not matter where they are from are just trying to make a living, raise their kids, pay their rent/mortgage...live their life.

2. Nook

Nook Member

QUOTE=VBG;7132339]I completely disagree is not a very compelling argument.[/QUOTE]

Alright......

I have been very fortunate to travel a great deal, and live half the year in foreign countries the last 5+ years and prior to that spent a year living in Ireland after retiring the first time as a young man.

I have lived for long periods of time in foreign countries, have dated foreign women and have family members from outside the USA. It is no different in my experience in the rest of the world than in the USA when it comes to disliking someone based purely on where they are from. There are people in the United States that are disliked only because they are Iraqi or muslim. It is no different in France, Ireland, England, Japan, China or Germany. People made immediate assumptions (some good, some bad) based on where I was born and my culture. That is the case everywhere. So when I hear "people don't like or hate Americans, they hate the government" I chuckle, because that is simply not true in many cases. I am treated very well some places because I am from America, and in other places people are very intolerant of my presence because I am an American.

3. Rasputin12

Rasputin12 Member

Missicity.

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

America is a good place if you like material things like cars, houses, electronics, burgers, Iphones etc.. But if you value immaterial things like community, peace of mind, and safety there are nicer places in the world.

1 person likes this.
  5. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

My friend and his gf just left for Medellin today. Dude is crazy, loves backpacking through South America, has had some interesting encounters with some military personnel there...

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I've been to more countries than most and this article is stupid.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

How do you know it is because you are American?

8. magman

magman Member

Agree 100% with your assessment. I've been overseas for two months and there is some sort fascination with foreigners, for the most part people are just trying to live their life.

9. VBG

VBG Member

Alright......

I have been very fortunate to travel a great deal, and live half the year in foreign countries the last 5+ years and prior to that spent a year living in Ireland after retiring the first time as a young man.

I have lived for long periods of time in foreign countries, have dated foreign women and have family members from outside the USA. It is no different in my experience in the rest of the world than in the USA when it comes to disliking someone based purely on where they are from. There are people in the United States that are disliked only because they are Iraqi or muslim. It is no different in France, Ireland, England, Japan, China or Germany. People made immediate assumptions (some good, some bad) based on where I was born and my culture. That is the case everywhere. So when I hear "people don't like or hate Americans, they hate the government" I chuckle, because that is simply not true in many cases. I am treated very well some places because I am from America, and in other places people are very intolerant of my presence because I am an American.[/QUOTE]

That's interesting because I've lived in foreign countries for 15 years and while of course, people make immediate judgements of what you are like depending on where you are from, I have not found that people will actually love or hate you depending on purely your nationality.

I guess we have had different experiences.

10. VBG

VBG Member

Fixed.

That's interesting because I've lived in foreign countries for 15 years and while of course, people make immediate judgements of what you are like depending on where you are from, I have not found that people will actually love or hate you depending on purely your nationality.

I honestly think you are remembering the few rather than the many who don't really care where you're from just because they stick out more.

Or I guess we have had different experiences.

11. Raven

Raven Member

Ask baby seals what they think about Canada.

;)

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps I am missing some slang term but you do know that "gape" means to stare at someone or something with you mouth open in wonder.

13. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

not in the internet p*rn age.

14. Damion Laverne

The top thing most Americans don't know about America is that WE'RE THE GREATEST COUNTRY ON EARTH! b****EZZ!!/sarcasm

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

excellent post by Deji

16. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

it's stupid for others to think americans are idiots because we are ignorant. they are ignorant about the fact that we don't give a baleeeep what they think:

your country:
    meh. nice spot to look at stuff, eat your food, pile drive your women, take a giant dump, and GTFO.

the us of a:
    Keepin' it surreal, whatever you like
    Whatever feels good, whatever takes you mountain high
    Keepin' it surreal, not sugar-free
    My TV ain't HD, that's too real
    Grapevine, mango, peaches, and limes, the sweet life

17. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

Some good points in there, I totally agree with the health care issues that we have. However this guy is probably a Boston snob that could not make it here so decided to go be the "foreigner" somewhere else. Another point I agree with is that American High School Education sucks donkey balls. There is too much effort here to keep every kid in school and water down what is being taught . The ones that dont give a **** about school should not have to be in school. Let the ones that want to learn learn some meaningful stuff. The reason why we have so many college dropouts here is because while American College/University education is among the best in the world they have to spend too much time weeding out the dumbasses that cannot adjust to the higher learning level because they learned a whole bunch of watered down **** in high school.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Because I see my wife treated differently than I, as well as my colleagues that are from various foreign countries... Sometimes as an American I am treated better, and other times my foreign friends. For example my business partner born in Jordan is treated very poorly in France, England, Ireland and Australia.

It isn't something unique to America, people make judgments all the time based on nationality and culture.

I have to shake my head at articles that pop up about the ugly American or America the savior. They over simplify things.

19. SacTown

SacTown Member

Just because you've been to many countries doesn't mean you actually got out there, integrated with the culture and made yourself vulnerable. If you traveled there for something like a corporate gig, stayed in nice hotels and hung out with your corporate coworkers, then that doesn't count.

20. SacTown

SacTown Member

Not related to the article, but the author. I know him. He's not a typical pick up artist type guy. If you read his stuff, it's pretty unique and for those of you wondering how he travels and hangs out in all these cool places. He makes anywhere from 4k-6k per month from that very blog.... selling his ebooks and he hangs out with hot colombian women, eats great food, goes salsa dancing on the weekends, challenges himself by living in different countries and makes himself vulnerable while learning other cultures and other languages. What are you guys doing with your life? Watching sports and playing video games? Punching the timeclock for peanuts?

This guy is living. You guys are following the herd, doing whatever everyone else around you does. You are all very comfortable in front of your big screen TVs, your iPads, your video games, your meaningless sports, and your fast food and for those of you who work, if your boss is lucky you'll come into your cubicle on time, surf the web, listen to some zombies on AM radio talk about preseason football, and do the bare minimum for that ****ty paycheck. But hey, I guess you have medical insurance, it's all about those benefits..... Moes is right. America is going downhill, but it's not too late to change.

2 people like this.