1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

10 Things Most Americans Don't Know About America

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SacTown, Aug 16, 2012.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

umm... what? i think we found this dude's problem.

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

pretty stupid list imo. Most of them are just wrong and attempting to be PC or something. For #1, its just not true. Every time I have been in Asia, being an American was a big deal. Conversely with #2, every time I have been to France or Spain and a lesser extent Italy, I have been treated pretty poorly simply for being an American.

3. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Thats why its awesome to be Canadian. All the love and none of the backlash :cool:

1 person likes this.
  4. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

You appear quite self-centered and may make a good alcoholic someday, if you are not already one.

I do agree with certain points, but remember that just because you have travel does not make you the man that represents the opinions of 7 billion people.

Just my 2 cents.

5. Nook

Nook Member

That is because if America is the drunk uncle, then Canada is the neutered uncle that was dropped on his head as a child.

6. VBG

VBG Member

As someone who has lived in a lotta places and travelled a lot, there are some truths in this article. He does take it a little too far but he does bring out some good points.

He only looks at the negatives about America though which is quite unfair.

I disagree the most about status obsessed (that is just human nature and some other countries are much more status obsessed).

Also, some people here are mixing American culture to just being American. People are impressed by Michael Jordan and Obama. But just being foreign in a different country is usually given props. Being American is not gonna make people like you or hate you.

People hate the was the American government works sometimes (like Bush's Iraq war) but that does not mean they hate the American public.

I do thing Americans are quite paranoid and they are quite ignorant about the rest of the world. I'm surprised he didn't talk about America's superiority complex which is justified to an extent but can be slightly ridiculous.

The rest of the world is not ****hole is kinda dumb. On average, there are a lotta places which are terrible.

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

The list is accurate for uncultured Americans.

2 people like this.
  8. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Title would be better states "10 Things Uneducated Americans Don't Know About America"

Dumb list.

9. Nook

Nook Member

He is mostly guilty of being naive.

I would agree with this.

I would argue that many parts of the world is far more status obsessed than the US, especially Western Europe, Israel and China and Japan.

I completely disagree.

I completely disagree.

I believed in the idea of American superiority until I had to live with and do buisness with people from England, France, Japan, China and Israel. The arrogance and sense of superiority is just as high elsewhere.

I do not like calling anyone's homeland a **hole. The biggest difference is in the details, the rest of the world, even "First world" areas lack in some areas.

10. Classic

Classic Member

[​IMG]

11. Nook

Nook Member

The list is accurate for uncultured Brits.

The list is accurate for uncultured Japanese

The list is accurate for uncultured Frenchmen.

The list is accurate for uncultured Israelies.

The list is accurate for uncultured Mexicans.

12. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

truth bro!

13. VBG

VBG Member

I completely disagree is not a very compelling argument.

14. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I love how people are so quick to proclaim something is dumb when they're not the target audience.

And the demographics of this forum (young adult, tech-literate males) don't scream the educated/cultured world traveler you're implying that can scoff at this list.

15. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

the only thing more annoying than dumb americans are the pretentious assholes who endlessly whine about dumb americans (who they would never interact with, anyways)

2 people like this.
  16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

yeah because there have not been numerous people chiming in about traveling/living all around the world.

:rolleyes:

18. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Mary Wilke: I was tired of submerging my identity to a very brilliant, dominating man. He's a genius.

Isaac Davis: Oh really, he was a genius, Helen's a genius and Dennis is a genius. You know a lot of geniuses. You should meet some stupid people once in a while, y'know, you could learn something.

19. da1

da1 Member

Canada seems to be a better version of the USA.

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

What city is that?