1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

10 of the biggest blunders in Rocket history

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by buzz1701, Jun 21, 2016.

1. j@amc

j@amc Member

This has to be the #1 mistake of all time. McCray was a good player, but what a mistake

2. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

It was obviously a mistake. But I wouldn't say it was an "all-time" mistake. It's nowhere near Sam Bowie. Who did we pass up at that pick that we couldn't have simply picked with our other two picks? It's not like TJones or DMo changed the fortunes of the team (unlike the prospect of drafting Jordan).

3. j@amc

j@amc Member

#2 has to be the 2011 draft of picking Marcus Morris (@ #14) over Kawhi Leonard. All the draft gurus saw something golden in Kawhi.

#3 is 2001 draft trading up 3 first rounders (Richard Jefferson, Jason Collins, and Brandon Armstrong) for Eddie Griffin.

#4 is 2012 with 3 first rounders and nothing to show for it. We should have gotten someone serviceable out of this mediocre draft (like Festus Ezeli who was available at #30).

On the flip side, in 2006, we did trade Rudy Gay (our #8) and Stromile Swift for Shane Battier. That was a great decision that helped us for years.

4. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Not getting Jordan for Ralph... Wow!!! The Marcus Morris vs. Kwahi Leonard, we should fire someone in scouting.

5. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I think not drafting a player at #15 can't be seen as an "all-time" mistake. It's simply 20-20 hindsight. 14 other teams passed him up. Every draft could be redrafted 10 years later with massively different results.

If a team made a bad top 3 choice, that's different. Penalizing a team for missing a pick at #14 is a stretch, to me. The one exception to me is Rashard Lewis. That one seemed so obvious to everybody at the time and 20-20 hindsight validated it.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If we kept Lin instead of Jonny Flynn in 2011, the whole history of the NBA would have been different. :p

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The White pick was bad not only because he didn't pan out, but because we got him for worse than nothing. The whole fiasco was embarrassing as well as distracting to the whole team. And we couldn't even trade him for anything.

Busts like Royce White and Terrence Williams just show you that character such as work ethic is an important part for success as a player. The vast majority of talented busts failed because they either did not see the need or too lazy to work on developing their games.

I hope Morey learned from this and seriously consider a guy's work ethic before gambling on his talent.

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Fair points but we're talking about the 16th pick in a weak draft here.

Gambling on talent and BPA is normally the way to go, all things equal.

It was a total swing and miss, no doubt, but I refuse to be overly critical of a move like this. Hell, this shouldn't even be honorable mention in thread like this if you ask me.

9. conquistador#11

what if I told you we could have had dream, drexler and that jordan guy?

10. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

ESPN 30 for 30 presents: 1984: Houston we have a problem.

11. JamesC

JamesC Member

The Battier trade.

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

13. MONON

MONON Member

While the White pick turned out to be a disaster, as our 3rd pick in the 1st round, it was worth the gamble. Picking Turckan over Lewis with our 3rd pick in the 1st round was a bigger disaster. :eek::mad:

14. eslate22

eslate22 Member

ya... it was gamble that you knew wasn't going to pay off... it's crazy that draymond went 35th overall that same year

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Fixed for you.

16. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

2012, picking White and Jones instead of Draymond Green.

17. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The mistake wasn't drafting Turckan over Lewis - we later traded Turckan for a 2003 conditional first round pick that we then traded for the rights to Terrence Morris.

Ok, I guess that was mistake, but it wasn't the biggest one that year. The bigger mistake was drafting Bryce Drew instead of Lewis - I know we traded Drew in 2000 to Chicago, but I can't find anything that says what we got back. It obviously wasn't anything very good.

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

You took mine. Not that it was something that hurt our franchise a ton, but definitely a big mistake. Who ever heard of a 7 year deal for a scub?

19. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

If I am not mistaken that trade for the second pick in the draft included Clyde. So it would have been Hakeem, Jordan, and Clyde.

Is that correct? That's what I have always heard.

20. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Shandon Anderson. With a D. But not playing any D.

Or much O for that matter.