1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#1 The Ohio State University At #2 Texas University

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ubiquitin, Sep 2, 2006.

1. FrontRowJoe

FrontRowJoe Member

Hey, man, it's Texas: anything can happen. ;)

I refuse to add "THE" to Ohio State University. It's just so friggin' childish and egotistical. It'd be the same as UT fans insisting that people call it "THE University of Texas AT Austin". After all, that's the name of the school. :rolleyes:

UT: 31
    OhSU: 24

2. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Lou Holtz is senile. That is all.

3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I normally refer to The Ohio State University as OSU, but I found you guys used OSU to refer to that crappy school in Oklahoma.

My prediction
    tOSU: 23
    UT: 17

GO BUCKS!

4. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Let me know when you're ready to go down to $200. I'd be very interested.

5. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Texas - 24
    Ohio State - 13

I don't expect UT fans to be well behaved, at least not the ones that I know that are going to the game. Given they have all day to tailgate. It's going to be loud and ugly. I'm going to be out of town and not in front of a TV. Hopefully I can make it until Monday night without hearing the score so I can watch it on the DVR.

6. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

#1 Ohio State @ #2 Texas

I couldn't find another thread on the game so delete this if it is a duplicate.

I don't really have any love or hate for Texas, I don't really care about UT. I am fans of Ohio State, Notre Dame and Auburn and USC actually. Everybody is so excited to see this game, and it will be a classic, but this is pretty stupid for #1 to play #2 in friggin week 2 of the season. If they are #1 and #2 they should be playing the national title game. This would be like USC and playing Texas in week 2 last year. To me this is a great game, that should be played in January. Whoever wins this game will probably play for the National title. I doubt either will stumble after this, esp. Texas with a weaker sched.

I actually think both teams are overrated a bit. I don't see how Ohio State is this highly regarded after losing a host of players to the NFL, including a lot of 1st rounders. They lost Santonio Holmes, Nick Mangold, Rob Sims, AJ Hawk, Bobby Carpenter , Anthony Schlegel, Donte Whitner and Ashton Youboty and others to the NFL. And they are that highly regarded. Troy Smith and Ted Ginn are great but damn. And how is Texas getting so much run after losing f'n Vince Young. He carried this team. They lost Ramonce Taylor, they lost Jonathan Scott, they lost Michael Huff, Cedric Griffin, now Tarell Brown is suspended and I heard Andrew Kelson is injured.

This will be a great game to watch for the fans, even though it hurts the teams, in the fact that one of these teams will be removed from title contention with a loss. Lookin forward to Saturday, I wish I was going.

7. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I just hope I don't get screwed in the ticket draw. I better be getting tickets.

8. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

BUMP!

Go Bucks!

9. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

I went to the HEB at the Hancock Center tonight and bumped into a few Ohio State fans already in town in the beer section.

This weekend is going to be ridiculous with the number of people coming into Austin.

10. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

I don't really have any love or hate for Texas, I don't really care about UT. I am fans of Ohio State, Notre Dame and Auburn and USC actually. Everybody is so excited to see this game, and it will be a classic, but this is pretty stupid for #1 to play #2 in friggin week 2 of the season. If they are #1 and #2 they should be playing the national title game. This would be like USC and playing Texas in week 2 last year. To me this is a great game, that should be played in January. Whoever wins this game will probably play for the National title. I doubt either will stumble after this, esp. Texas with a weaker sched.

I actually think both teams are overrated a bit. I don't see how Ohio State is this highly regarded after losing a host of players to the NFL, including a lot of 1st rounders. They lost Santonio Holmes, Nick Mangold, Rob Sims, AJ Hawk, Bobby Carpenter , Anthony Schlegel, Donte Whitner and Ashton Youboty and others to the NFL. And they are that highly regarded. Troy Smith and Ted Ginn are great but damn. And how is Texas getting so much run after losing f'n Vince Young. He carried this team. They lost Ramonce Taylor, they lost Jonathan Scott, they lost Michael Huff, Cedric Griffin, now Tarell Brown is suspended and I heard Andrew Kelson is injured.

This will be a great game to watch for the fans, even though it hurts the teams, in the fact that one of these teams will be removed from title contention with a loss. Lookin forward to Saturday, I wish I was going.

I like the Buckeyes to win in similar fashion to the way Texas won last year, with Troy Smith making a big play to win it, like Vince did.

11. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

My mom works for COntinental. She was saying something to the extent that Continental added 5 more flights from cleveland to Austin, and 6 more return flights form Austin to Cleveland on Sunday :eek: There may be a kleenex shortage in Austin after all the tOSU tears :D

12. BenignDMD

Hmmm...there seems to be a 3 page thread already on this game....oh well, you can never talk about UT foobtall too much! Hook'em baby!

13. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

according to my buddy who's been tailgating at UT gamesfor awhile, there were pledges already sitting out reserving spots for their respective fraternities/alumni.... he said he's never seen people marking off spots on Wednesday!

this will be nuts!

and i cant believe a literally gave away my ticket to this game!

:bangsheadondesk

14. BenignDMD

Thats insane...We never had a game this big in Austin when I went to UT. The biggest game was against A&M.

15. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

It's the nature of college football. The strong have an advantage at recruiting, so they tend to stay strong. A la Miami, Florida, FSU, OU, etc. It's pretty normal for the best teams to lose large numbers of players to the NFL and reload immediately. The best teams are also often the teams with the best coaching which doesn't hurt.

As far as #1 playing #2 so early, there's nothing you can do about it. This game was agreed about 5 years ago. I think it's great to see national powerhouses play during the regular season that aren't in the same conference. I wish it happened more. Of course it would be nice if a playoff decided who played in the National Championship game instead of poorly devised polls.

If you think they are overrated, I'd be interested to know who you think is better. I'm not saying there aren't better teams, but there isn't anyone that looks clearly better than either of these teams to me. I think Auburn will be good, but they have a tough schedule. West Virginia or Louisville could conceivably go undefeated in the regular season. Likely only to end up getting shafted by the BCS and playing in a non mythical national championship game or lucking out and getting to share a championship. Sweet!

With such a ridiculous system, I sometimes question why I'm so into college football.

Go Horns!

16. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

you got the title right though. five stars from me.

17. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

Anyone interested in buying two student tickets for the game?

18. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

how much?

19. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

Ohio State wins this game easily. If Vince Young were still there it would be a different story, but he's not. Texas and their rookie QB get exposed.

20. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Am I the only one here who thinks that this game is a perfect example of the one advantage that a BCS system have over a playoff system? You'll never get this kind of attention and hype for a game in the second week of the season, no matter who's playing in a playoff system.