1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#1 pick post rose bowl

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by thacabbage, Jan 4, 2006.

?

what do you do with the #1 pick now?

1. vince young

125 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. reggie bush

75 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. trade

25 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

that's right. i sat next to kirbyjohn caldwell at that game. what a nice guy!

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Just think about what would happen if Gary Kubiak got the chance to mold Vince Young into a quality pro. :eek:

3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

The VY love has reached epic proportions.

4. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

wow. it looks like popular opinion has dramatically shifted. i think ideally, from a football standpoint, the best move would be to trade down. however, with casserly being retained, it scares the hell out of me to give him the chance to screw those extra picks up while passing on 3 "can't-miss" prospects. Bush is the smart choice from a business and marketing standpoint to energize the fan base, but if Vince comes out, he would do that even moreso.

Wow. what a draft. 3 guys who would each be consensus #1 picks in any other draft. leinhart was absolutely wicked in the second half last night. ironic that that guy's stock has fallen a few slots in a year while he has solidifed himself even more as a player. that's a memo to vince to come out if you're the #1 pick.

but wow, what a story. the hometown team gets the #1 pick with a chance to take the local hero.

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Vince Young's performance last night didn't change my opinion on who the Texans should draft...but Reggie Bush's performance DID. Now, it was clear that the Longhorns were gameplanning to stop Bush first and foremost, but as someone else said, this is the best defense that Bush has seen so far this season, and he didn't look great facing it. Now, his stats were still pretty good, but overall he wasn't much of a factor in this game. That makes me nervous on the NFL level because defenses are speedier, and smarter and he is not going to get as good run blocking behind the Texans O-line as he did at USC. So that clinched it for me...I want to trade the pick. Hopefully Bush's underwhelming performance at this game will be forgotten by draft day and teams will still be outbidding each other to get their paws on him.

6. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Probably the best minister in Houston, too.

I don't think Vince Young will come out this year, so it's a moot point. I think he wants that Heisman next year and another title to boot. I think he wants to put the hurt on Oklahoma one more time and make himself the undisputed #1 pick next year. This is only the beginning(!) of the Vince Young hype.

I know the Texas fans are walking on air right now, as they should be. But neither Bush nor Young has played a down of football in the NFL, so whether we pick either or these guys, each is going to have LOTS left to prove.

7. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Why did Busg win the Heiman over Young????

Young had one of the best GAMES any college QB has ever had.
    But he almost LOST to the freaking Aggies and is pretty one dimensional (meaning I doubt he would be that successful in the NFL running).

Name a NFL coach who designs running plays for QB's?
    Young with be a pocket QB after a few years being killed by NFL defenders like Vick has.

The question is, does Young have an NFL arm? He'ls be a helluva scrambler and get his yards. But I wonder about consistency!!

I think Bush won (the Heisman) for a reason!!

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You see this is what gets me....ONE GAME????

The team was 13-0

Vince Young is the only player in COLLEGE FOOTBALL HISTORY to rush for 1000 yards and throw for 2500......

THE ONLY ONE IN HISTORY !!!!!

One game...SHEESH !

DD

9. T-2

T-2 Contributing Member

I too was trusting the scouts evaluations (and hype) about Bush's talent. Having watched last night's game, I am reconsidering my initial opinion of drafting Bush.

On a team with a good offensive line and/or good QB&WR, Bush probably could have pro-bowl numbers. However, the Texans will not have such a line. The fact that Bush could be contained so well - even with USC's superior blocking - makes drafting him #1 a poor option.

So we come to VY. His apparent decision-making here is what I would find enticing. Is it luck that he seems to find a wide open receiver with a pass that has average zip to it? Is it just the designed play working to perfection because of luck/good receiving route/poor defense? Or is it the QB cycling through the options until finding a good one? When it happens time after time, the decision making would seem to be the real reason. Though they possessed superior arms, that is alot of what made Elway/Manning/Montana great. I should probably throw Moon in there too.

The Elway comparison is apt - he could run well and was clutch under pressure - and would you look at whom we have advising McNair right now...

On the other hand, Carr doesn't seem to make particularly good decisions.

I'd be tempted to trade the pick but:
    1) Casserly, nuff said;
    2) I think there is something to be said for fans being able to identify with the team instead of thinking of them as hired guns from all over the country that are putting on the uniform this year and have no appreciation for the region. That's what made the Rockets titles so much more enjoyable.

Make sure you get a decent draft pick for Carr first. Then grab VY, some linemen, and don't look back.

I vote VY.

#49 T-2, Jan 5, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2006
  10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dude, you can't compare Vince Young to John Elway. Vince Young is black.

11. aburttschell

aburttschell Contributing Member

again Step away from the crack pipe for a minute. Vince Young is one the most elusive players in college football history. And because of that he developes problems in coverage. Thus when he does complete a pass its usually to an uncovered reciever. He hasn't had the need for accuracy, and when he has, he doesn't play very well, see the Texas A&M game. He's the next Mike Vick. Strong arm, great runner, average accuracy, poor decision maker. Ask San Diego if they like their "Reggie-like" pick in Tomlinson. If you remember they passed up Vick to get him. Now four or five years later look at them and tell me who you would take. NFL offenses don't run the QB draw 19 times like Texas did last night. If they would Vince wouldn't be playing very long. But since they don't, defense's won't have to key the run like USC had too last night. Setting up an advantage for the UT passing attack, especially to the TE. Don't get me wrong Vince is incredible, but he won't be any better than a guy like Mike Vick. Marketable........yes. Exciting......yes. Average QB................yes.

12. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

The one thing I remember during the game was I believe Herbstreit saying that USC was pounding it in the middle with White and trying to string it wide with Bush. Lendale was having much more success. Now, you can say that the UT D was geared to stop Bush and not prepared for White, but I counter with this is the best D USC had to see all season. NFL gamespeed goes much more quickly than in the college game. Can you imagine Bush trying to string it wide against the Bears D? It just won't happen. If he can't have any success running up the gut, then I just don't see him as an NFL RB. He'll be good, but Barry Sanders he aint.

My stance is still WAIT UNTIL AFTER THE COMBINES AND EVALUATIONS TO HAVE THIS CONVERSATION.

13. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Vince was impressive in the Rose Bowl. No one can take anything away from him this year. He's an outstanding college talent. I really enjoyed watching him play.

However...

I still think that Bush makes more sense, because he is a multi-talented player. He's fast and elusive. He can cath the ball. Everyone has seen his highlight film. He's an extraordinary player.

Vince Young will still need development time. Until he learns the system, he'll be running to compensate. I don't want a running QB. I don't want a QB that gets injured, because he didn't have the right peices around him.

Bush will only make Carr look better. Having 3 fast guys that can catch will be too much for most to focus on, because you can only double team so many. I'm not saying that Carr does a great job picking the right receiver at the right time. He'll have to improve on it. Until then, it's going to be a lot of Reggie Bush, but that's why they get payed the big bucks.

If you add Vince Young to a mediocre team, he won't be the VY that we saw in the Rose Bowl.

If you add Bush to the same team, he will make the players around him better, because they're going to get open looks that they haven't had in the past. Some of the pressure will be taken from Andre Johnson and everyone knows what he has the potential to do. Imagine if we manage to keep Davis (it's possible). Now you have Davis in at running back (when Bush isn't), Johnson on the outside and Bush at split end. Defenses can't focus on all these guys at once without some vulnerability. With the safeties focused on the passing threat, Davis job would be even easier. Now enter Mathis.

Our offense with Bush and a few key players is going to be 180 from this recent debacle. It's going to be downright sick.

I think we have yet to see the best of Carr and Bush, some key linemen and an offensive oriented coach is the best chance he's ever going to get.

If Vince Young does come out this year, I'm willing to bet tipjar money they'll still draft Bush, because they know that it will be the best overall chance of improving.

Any takers?

14. Fatty FatBastard

How many people even had Young in the same league as Bush before this game? Practically nobody.

That's what I'm referring to.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Well...he was the other main Heisman candidate and still listed on most NFL draft boards in top 5 or so. That is definitely in the same league.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Uhmmmm . . i think Reggie bush was 'made' after the Fresno game :rolleyes:

Rocket River

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

If you want to say that he almost lost to the Aggies, don't forget that Bush/Leinart almost lost to Fresno State at HOME. Point is both teams pulled it out and that's what matters.

Name a NFL coach that has had the luxury of designing running plays for QB's outside of Vick?

You're absolutely right, Bush won the Heisman for a reason, just as the Horns had a reason for winning the National Championship-his name is Vince Young.

I think the #1 pick is completely up in the air. It's all going to come down to how they want to deal w/ Carr. Is he worth the 8M/season he is due? What kind of compensation could we receive for him if traded?

One thing is for sure, the Texans have a TON of decisions to make by March.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

actually not
    I heard on THE HEARD a few weeks back
    that Lienart had an elbow problem at the end of last year
    required some rehab [maybe even surgery]

He came back because it would have hurt his prospects
    and had to PROVE he stil; had it

Rocket River

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Didn't USC need an illegal push to beat Notre Dame
    the same notre dame that got whomped by Ohio State
    The same ohio state that . . .UT beat?

Rocket River

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

QUESTION: Where does Bush fit in our Line up?

He won't be returning kick offs or punts
    I think Mathias has that job

He does not seem like a 'everydown' back?

Will he be a 2nd receive? a H-back?

I think who we pick as coach will effect the pick more than anything
    Denver seems to make even mediocre RBs look good
    If we get Kubiak . . i think VY is the better choice
    because behind a Denver Blocking scheme . . . DD will be much better
    [of course bush maybe even better than that]

However . .I don't think Carr will be better behind a Denver blocking scheme
    I have no confidence in Carr
    but
    VY will IMO

Rocket River