1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#1 pick post rose bowl

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by thacabbage, Jan 4, 2006.

?

what do you do with the #1 pick now?

1. vince young

125 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. reggie bush

75 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. trade

25 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Vince will come to the NFL if the Texans let him know that they will be taking him #1. The way he was talking on SC, he basically said it will come down to the draft position of certain teams, and what his family wants to do... that sounds like pretty much one thing (ie - Texans or UT).

Personally, I was getting excited about Bush since it was pretty hard to avoid the hype machine that was being generated (and sucking in everyone in its path). But, why the hell is this "once in a lifetime running back" ON THE BENCH for the most important play of the game... where his team needed one measly yard. Does he have weaknesses that don't get exposed because USC has such a spectacular backup RB and offensive line, thus he doesn't have to be in on every single play (like he'll be expected to in the NFL)???

All I know is that Vince being the QB for his hometown team would be very special...

2. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Texans pass up Vince Young (one reason he probably won't come out '06).

On way to becoming a joke in the NFL.

Bush is very fast and elusive but he isn't Barry Sanders. He has to have space to dominate and he won't get that much in the NFL, especially behind the Texan's blocking.

Bush will be nice, but Vince Y. will take that terrible throwing motion and make big plays in the NFL one day.

Bush would make a better receiver than tailback at the pro level.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I don't know what's so terrible about his throwing motion either. Everyone says it's terrible, yada yada yada. It does look a little sidearm, but to me, every time he throws the ball, it looks like he just tosses it and the ball is a bullet. To me, it's sort of a pretty throw.

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

This is shaping up nicely for me. My two favorite teams are the Titans and the Texans.

If the Texans go for Vince and the Saints don't go for Bush because of Deuce, then Bush falls to the Titans.

If the Texans go for Bush then the Saints go for Vince (ugh) then the Titans have some scrambling to do. Will they try and switch spots with the Saints?
    Perhaps they go for AJ Hawk or DeAngelo Williams.

If the Saints move to SA, Vince is at least back in Texas. If they move to LA he is on his own home field. If he goes back to Texas, good for college football. Neither the Titans or the Texans are making a huge surge up the charts and they'll both be in play for him next year.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

USC really didn't even use Reggie that much in the biggest game of the year. Makes you think...

6. BranJ17

BranJ17 Member

If you were a true vince fan u would know it was north shore in that game not katy. I'm almost certain madison never played katy, and I am also almost certain you are alluding to the 61-58 thriller @ the dome.

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I remember the highlights of that game on the news. Didn't another top prospect go to North Shore?

8. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

Please....don't think that Casserly will be making a decision of that magnitude by himself. Bob McNair will be all over him....as well as whomever they hire to be the next head coach.

I must admit...I was really stoked about Reggie Bush until after last night's game.... I think that VY's making a LOT of people talk today. If he decides to come out, the next few months will be interesting.

9. russian88

russian88 Contributing Member

Send carr back to califronia and draft VY.

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya, you're right, I completely forgot his name though. North Shore and Madison went nuts that year.

11. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Ahh...I knew this thread was coming. I'd still take Reggie.

12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I don't know what the Texans should do anymore. Seeing Reggie Bush on the sideline in the clutch kind of soured me on him. The #1 overall pick should be in the game in those instaces.

Just trade down and pick up multiple players. I don't think the Texans would draft Vince Young even though I would love to see him on our team. If we do draft him we will probably stink for the next 2 years waiting for him to develop into a pro passer.

13. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I think Bob McNair has a choice between V. Young and R. Bush

If he contacts V. Young and guarantees the #1 selection- I think V. Young comes out.

14. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

He would be CRAZY to stay at Texas. And what risk getting serioulsy injured then paralyzing his draft position??

Vince Young is easily a Top 3 pick in the NFL draft this year. He is nuts not to come out.

15. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I'd agree with this, but Leinart would have been the 1st pick last year and still came back.

16. BranJ17

BranJ17 Member

Well vince young's tailback was courtney lewis the atm rb. I know bobby reid was on that north shore team, but I'm 50/50 if he was the quarterback at that point, he's now at ok state. On second thought it is hard to fathom reid being the qb since he woulda only been a soph.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I have a little bit of this feeling as well, and it's scaring me. That's how much I like Vince Young. I'm not sure I could EVER forgive the Texans if they had the opportunity to draft VY and didn't do it. I don't know if I could ever forgive that.

Like you, I saw Vince play in HS. Saw him play in a playoff game at the dome against a Ft. Bend team...I can't even remember the name of the school they were playing now. But I saw him deliver ridiculous down-field passes while on the move...and thinking, this guy has NFL star written all over him. My father and I walked out of that game so impressed. All he's done is get better.

He's a hard worker, by all accounts. A good kid. He's freaky athletic, and yet still goes through progressions and lets his receivers develop their routes.

If he comes out, the Texans have a rare opportunity to seize on something amazing. Not just from a talent perspective, which is there, but from a local fan goodwill standpoint.

18. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

and now there is no way he will be the #1 pick this year.

I think it is silly for VY to stay another year. His stock is as high as it could ever be, why risk injury, etc.

I do not watch college football but man it is difficult to have any kind of argument against taking Young or Bush. This is an amazing problem to have.

19. BranJ17

BranJ17 Member

That ft bend team was hightower and was a week before the n shore game

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Assuming you were for drafting Bush before, you first have to ask yourself this:

1) Did last night's game make you question drafting Bush? One game does not a plyer make, BUT, the answer has to be yes. All month, commentators were talking about speed. Bush's speed. UT's defensive speed. What's clear - Bush is really really fast. He had a bad game by his standard, still broke 2 major plays (1 TD, 1 stupid lateral...damn was that stupid). BUT, he clearly struggled with UT's speed. And as bad as the Texans defense was, the worst NFL team has to be faster than the best college team. Bush has to use his speed to make people miss...he can't run them over like White. On the other hand, Marshall Faulk wasn't that big, either...but you have to have the right system for it to work.

2) Did last night's game make you consider drafting Young? Well, obviously, yes. The problem most likely is the fact that you probably couldn't get equal value for Carr via trade.

More so than anything, I think the Rose Bowl made me think about trading the pick for a bunch of players/picks. If you still want a feature back, the other 3 big name backs all have more size, and you'd probably get another extra pick to get a lineman, or something.