1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1 Day Later: How do you feel about the trades now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Haymitch, Feb 20, 2015.

?

1 Day Later: How do you feel about the trades?

Poll closed Feb 21, 2015.
  1. Disappointed at the time and still Disappointed now

30.9%
  2. Disappointed at the time and Mixed now

15.9%
  3. Disappointed at the time and Happy now

2.2%
  4. Mixed at the time and Disappointed now

1.6%
  5. Mixed at the time and still Mixed now

22.9%
  6. Mixed at the time and Happy now

9.6%
  7. Happy at the time and Disappointed now

0.3%
  8. Happy at the time and Mixed now

1.0%
  9. Happy at the time and still Happy now

15.6%
  1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Disappointed?
    Mixed?
    Happy?

I wanted an upgrade at starting point guard. I wanted Goran Dragic; or, at least, Ty Lawson or Brandon Knight.

Seeing Dragic go elsewhere and seeing us pick up a 37 year old backup PG on one of the worst teams in the NBA left me very disappointed. Getting KJ was OK, I thought, but it was hard to process it all because I was pretty stunned by us not acquiring any of the half-dozen or so starting PGs who were moved yesterday.

After having slept on it though, I'm not feeling so bad anymore. The price for Dragic and Knight was pretty damn high, and Lawson wasn't moved. We still have the NOP 1st, the NYK 2nd, TJones, and DMo. And we're still poised to make the playoffs.

Prigioni is actually a decent defender (I just assumed he sucked) and is a good spot-up shooter, even with the decline he's experienced this year. I know fairly little about KJ McDaniels but I know many NBA fans are pretty high on him in the long run. Yes, we gave up some of our lesser draft picks and Canaan, but as others have pointed out: Les can always buy crappy draft picks and Canaan wasn't playing anyway (whether his lack of playing was wise or not is irrelevant to this point).

Today I find myself going from Disappointed to Happy. I'm not elated (I doubt anyone could be about acquiring bench players), but I feel we got the better end of both trades we made and are still in a position to accomplish something this year and beyond. Were I to be completely honest with myself, I'm not so sure acquiring Dragic or Lawson or Knight would have put us over the hump - and I know they wouldn't have done so if we could have only got them at the cost of giving up some of our good rotation players.

So, while these guys aren't what anyone wanted or expected, I can be OK with the trades and our trade deadline moves.

How do you feel, CF?

1 person likes this.
  2. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

look at what okc got for just moving reggie jackson.... could we have gotten a haul like that for dmo

3. zyt

zyt Member

5 stages of grief? acceptance?

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Happy seems a little too strong a word. I have "positive" feelings about the trades, but not strong enough to use a word like happy.

5. Salvy

Salvy Member

I feel worst to be honest..... Only thing that would make me feel better is if prigioni drops a few assists tonight and doesn't jump into the air with nowhere to go... I was pretty numb yesterday, but today I'm depressed...

6. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I was disappointed that we didn't add a major piece - and I am still disappointed now. That doesn't mean I don't like the trades we made and it doesn't mean I think Morey should've overpayed. But still, I was hoping for a championship piece and what we got was at best a Player for the future and a 2nd PG rental.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

We needed more than Prigioni at point guard, so it's fairly disappointing. Asking a hell of a lot from Harden.

However...Dragic wasn't a risk worth taking given the cost and his comments about signing with us. Brandon Knight probably cost too much. I guess we'll just have to hope for better options this summer or through a potential buyout.

8. NotChandlerParsons

Happy at the time and happy now represent. You guys get it.

9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Mixed then and mixed now. I get why we didn't go after Dragic, but it's a shame we couldn't land Knight. Also, while McDaniels isn't a bad pickup, it makes me think Morey's already written off bringing back Brewer.

Plus there's always the lingering concern that Morey and Les are holding back til 2016 because of their 3rd superstar obsession.

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Im happy we didn't lock ourselves into a team that couldn't win.

I'm happy we didn't use our best trade pieces on inferior talent.

I'm happy that I think the minor moves we did make appear to be positive.

But most of all I'm disappointed we didn't get CP3 and Durant. I mean what was the front office thinking?

2 people like this.
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Meh, they way I see it...we didn't get worse. That's usually how you grade trades, if the team improved or not.

We did not get worse, no matter what anyone says. We added a nice prospect and a vet that has won big games in his career and shoots a good % from deep.

Not really sure how people can look at that and go "We got worse today." and people forget we acquired Brewer and Smith this season. We've made our big moves already.

12. marky :)

marky :) Member

We didn't get Lebron or Durant this trade deadline.

Distraught
    Defeated
    Infuriated
    Horny
    Confused
    Experimental
    Embarrassed
    Content

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

Disappointed. Meaningless motion, doing something for the sake of doing something. The team did not address it's greatest needs: size up front and a legit point guard that is not close to Medicare. Wasted motion.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't think we're a contender without another legitimate playmaker so I'm disappointed. What makes it worse is the uncertainty surrounding Dwight. Were we less aggressive because we don't think he'll be around long-term? Should I be less upset if that's the case? Or more upset because Dwight is hurt? We have plenty of chips to cash and we sat on them. It's frustrating.

15. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I was indifferent yesterday. But I feel content about the trades now. Wish we could get a better back up center but those are a hot commodity.

Would love to see Capela come up and do some Hassan Whiteside leves of production on this squad

16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Were the Rockets a contender before the trades?

Are the Rockets contenders now?

The answers to these two questions would be enough to tell how you feel.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The trades themselves are pretty good. Prigioni is a consummate professional and a decent backup PG. His contract is also largely non-guaranteed (which BimaThug pointed out) which makes it a useful tool to combine with Kostas P's non-guaranteed contract in July to get a trade or sign and trade done. McDaniels could be a future star-- I see an early-career Gerald Wallace in some of the stuff he does. The cost for neither is unreasonable.

Most of us just want a bigger trade to happen than just these two.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Good moves in a vacuum.

However the lingering problem was not fixed. The fact is there is too much relied on Harden and Beverley as much as I love him simply isn't a starting caliber PG, good enough playmaker to take pressure off of Harden, and isn't a good enough shooter to space the floor.

If I had one bone to pick with Morey's moves, this trade deadline probably sums up what he does as his worst flaw or at least most frustrating thing about his roster building technique-

Ignoring roster weaknesses and just going for BPA (draft or free agency), BVA (best value available) or BDA ( Best deal available).

Case in point - drafting a million PF's from 09 to 2013 when there were glaring holes at C, PG, and other spots, and the fact that you can't play 5 young PF's at the same time and expect growth.

I get why he made the moves then, and I get why he made the moves the other day (good value moves), but he again ignored or tried to sneak by with a value move (Prigioni at 1.7 mil & partially guaranteed next year vs. acquiring a J. Jack type on mid-level salary) instead of ponying up for a true upgrade at a position of weakness.

However Morey usually makes me eat crow at the end of the day when he pulls us along kicking and screaming and usually he's right. Still its very frustrating for fans who sit back and wonder why Morey just blatantly ignores the backup center spot, and all PG spots and just clearly goes for value instead of quality at those positions.

1 person likes this.
  19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

It was mostly lateral, with a bit of forward movement. Three steps to the left, one in front.

I wasn't expecting a groundbreaking blockbuster deal, so I'm happy with it.

20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I am not sure why anyone should be disappointed unless they valued the three second round picks.
    Dragic would not have been a benefit in the long run.

Additionally, we did well over the course of the last few months. Its not all about zero hour trades.