1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1/21/09 Daryl Morey on 610 Now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by v3.0, Jan 21, 2009.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Honestly Scola would be better if we had a center that was a rebounding machine.

Scola has to do a lot of rebounding which stops him from getting out on the wings and running.

It is what it is...but I do like to see the easy transtion baskets...heck even the early offense ones that are not a heat check from 3pt land.

DD

2. zazahan

zazahan Contributing Member

Thanks DD.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

No way Landry can become a top PF at his height and lack of skills. If he was very quick, had handles or was an exceptionally deadly shooter with more range, maybe. But Landry isn't close to having enough game to reach that level.

I love the guy and the intensity he usually brings to the floor. But let's not be crazy. Anyone who compares him to Aldridge is either insane or has no idea how good Aldridge is.

4. ibm

ibm Member

agree - even though landry is almost a perfect backup 4 who can play a bit 3 (due to his expanded range this year which deserves a lot of credit). maybe he can up his status when he can develop his post game a bit.

5. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

He has enough quickness. I think the other skills -- shooting (which has already improved drastically over one season), handles and post moves are the parts that they believe he can truly develop to take his abilities to the next level. Aldridge really has only one thing that Landry can't attain, and that's sheer height. I really don't see any reason why Landry can't become as good. His consistently high PER indicates that even in his current form, he has star potential. Heck, Dwight Howard attained superstar status with an offensive foundation that consisted mostly of garbage buckets and alley oops. I'm not in any way insinuating that he can become like Dwight -- I'm just saying that you can't shortchange his upside at this point in his career.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

We'll see. I don't think Landry has anywhere near the potential of Aldridge, who can be a special player on both ends of the floor. He's got the face-up game which is deadly right now because his shot is nearly impossible to contest. His turnaround is completely unblockable and he doesn't (seem) to even need to see the basket to hit it. It's weird. LA's still developing as a post defender. He's gotten much better and is still improving. He can be Rasheed Wallace without the sorry attitude.

At his height, Landry needs exceptional quickness, which he doesn't have. He needs an exceptional jumper, which can be developed. Landry will never have much of a post game because he's too small. I don't mean to shortchange him, but I don't think he can become a "star" player. It's a nice thought since he's a good, hard working guy who plays for the Rockets.

7. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I do agree with your point -- actually I was referring to Aldridge in his current form rather than his upside which like you said is definitely higher. I disagree with your assessment of his quickness -- I think he has more than enough quickness to compensate for his height deficiency -- he just needs to learn how to harness it, similar to how Aaron Brooks is learning to use his quickness to compensate for his size. His handles can get better, and I think he has shown flashes in his face-up game that he can get dramatically better in that department. He already has a good enough jumper to keep a defender honest which can only get better as he continues to improve accuracy and range -- now he just needs to be able to put the ball on the floor and get past his defender. I've seen him do it several times before, but I think it's just not sufficiently developed enough at this point for him to do it consistently. Like you said, his size is such that his face up game will always be better than the post up game, but even Amare Stoudamire doesn't have much of a back-to-the-basket game either.

8. DaDakota

Aldridge....oh man, I would trade Scola and Landry for him......or Artest and someone else.

I really like Aldridge.

DD

9. bushbush1988

bushbush1988 Member

tx for the recap, anxious about the result from ron

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think you said in another thread you watch the Blazers a lot. The guy is something else. I know he isn't nearly the interview that Roy and Oden are, but the way he gets ignored by the media is just plain dumb. He WILL be a star in the league and be one for a long time. I forget which recent game it was, but the PnR between him and Roy late worked about 8 times in a row. It was indefensible because Roy can finish like very few and LA's jumper can't be challenged unless the defender standing in his face.

In a couple of years, just watch him add the 3-pointer. Betcha.

OK, now back to the topic. Sorry.

11. DaDakota

I only have one team, the Rockets, but I watch a lot of others just because I enjoy basketball.

Portland is a lot of fun to watch.....and Aldridge, Roy and Fernandez are some of the main reasons.

DD

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

do the links to the interview on 610's site work for anyone? I get an error.

13. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I couldn't get it to work either. I sent an email, hopefully they will fix it soon.

14. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

more Rockets damage control?

15. Landlord Landry

thanks for ruining my day. :p

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks, DD, you are (one of) the best. :cool:

17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Why are you guys comparing Landry to Aldridge? I think the more apt comparison would be David West. West isn't exceptionally long or quick, either. But he makes up for it with his solid face-up game, toughness on the glass, and brute strength. Landry has all those qualities. If Carl weren't such a horrid defender he might be starting already.

18. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Well, since 610's website doesn't work for listening to the clip, your recap, DD, is all the more valuable.

... thanks!

An interesting angle to how things have gone so far this season, is the increased exposure and experience our non-star players have gotten, increasing the chit value for Morey in potential trading, as well as adding depth and experience for our playoff run.

Von Wafer, Brooks and Landry have shown a lot of promise, and could be packaged with one of the starters to get us a better player in trade. I'm not saying this will happen, or even that I'm hoping they will, but when I hear Morey saying he thinks that Landry could be one of the top 10-15, that sounds like posturing to me.

;)

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I agree. Landry is a good offensive player, and he has the potential to be very good. It's the defense that is holding him back, but that is something he can improve on with experience. I still like his upside more than Scola's. He hasn't made the strides in his second year that I hoped he would, but I'm still think he can be a quality starter in this league. Somewhere between Haslem and West.

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Aldridge? A FA in 09/10? With the Rox having virtually no commitments beyond Yao. Where is he from, his home and where does he live in the off-season?