1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

'09 class rookies extensions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by anchel, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Fierguard

Fierguard Contributing Member

Hill and T-will I believe will be picked up. Both seemed to have bought into the system. Both are rotation players not starters at this point but rotation players. 3.6 and 3.1 million roughly for J-Hill and T-will Respectively.

Flynn... I think the jury is still out and I believe his contract will be picked up mostly to ensure that we do not make a mistake with Dragic or depth so we can trade Dragic at the deadline, OKC maybe. I personally hate Flynn's game as he is a ball pounder. Hate it. Plus 4.3 million for his ball pounding services.... sigh.

Thabeet... I like the guy as a person... but really as a basketball player he is not there. I can not see his option getting picked up. 6.4 million... for being tall... I figure after the trade deadline he will be bought out to make room for a greg smith. Not until then as he is an expiring contract and a former number 2 pick that someone might see value in... our guys can coach him.... etc. Did I mention the fact that his extension is 6.4 million dollars?

On other's options Patterson and Bud are no brainer's as is Lee's Qualifing offer.

Fierguard

Bleed Red Rockets Red.

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Hasheem Thabeet was a hell no for me before we traded for him.

Jonny Flynn isn't a need and hasn't looked good -- No at the moment.

Jordan Hill lost me last year, then I had some slight optimism he could improve somewhat under McHale's tutelage... so far that's been wiped out. Right now, no.

Terrence Williams is a tough one. You gave up a first round pick, and the way things are going, it will be a good first rounder. He has shown promise at times and at others not so much. What I really wanted for him was to become a defensive presence. If he can find a role as a defender (which he absolutely has the potential to be), then what he gives you offensively is more of a bonus. It hasn't happened so far. I'm holding out on this decision.

Conclusion -- this team is begging for a trade.

3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

This whole mess is nothing that Perry Jones wouldn't solve.

4. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Hill and Williams

Although the fact that Williams couldn't beat Parsons to start worries me.

5. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

You don't exercise any of their options unless Dwight Howard has signed an extension somewhere. Keep the room for one max contract.

6. valorita

valorita Member

The true answer is... it depends.
    The 09ers were brought in because we have the flexibility to keep or let go of each one based on their performance vs team needs vs trade opportunities.
    Trying to say who should be extended or not is pretty much a wild guess at this point.
    This is what we call a game-time decision.

7. Nook

Nook Member

This team is begging for multiple trades. I love Scola, would be huge on a legitimate contender.... but not on a mediocre at best team.

Martin is not a fit under the Rockets new philosophy.... he needs to be moved.

Dalembert can be moved... if we are going to be a non playoff team.

Chase.... he is a role player, and will be too expensive and limited by the time we are going to need him... and Morey has shown an ability to get players like Chase with ease.

Here is hoping we lose 4-5 of our next 6 so that we can protect our lottery pick and rebuild. With the cap flexibilty, assets we have and a little luck, there is no reason we cannot be on the right path in a very little period of time.

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I was having a conversation about this elsewhere today ....

Of the four , I think they only extend Hill.

Thabeet despite being 7'3" is a waste of a roster spot. I'd rather bring Smith up from the DL.

Flynn hasnt shown us a thing .... he's quick but thats it.

Twill .... I dont think he's been put in the right situation thus far. He's got a SG body and and being played at the SF.
    Still dont see them keeping him , especialy in the event that Morris returns from the DL and produces. Minutes at SF will be hard to come by with Parsons playing so well. Morris returning may spell a change of scenery for Budinger.

This roster could(should) be significantly different next season minus those guy's and with the possibility of Martin , Scola and Budinger being moved. Twill , Thabeet and Flynn not extended and the likelyhood that a team offers Dragic starters money.

With two picks in the first round and the possibility of adding to that , we could see a much different roster next season.

9. anchel

anchel Member

10. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

have they been rejected yet?

11. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

None of them. Would save us a lot of cap space actually.

12. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Pack all their bags and leave their things next to the hotel door on the last game of the season.

13. Rokman

Rokman Member

Can't wait to see what happens:

Prediction:

- Thabeet --> NO
    - Hill --> YES (Though I am on the fence, could easily see a NO, will only get his next year so they can use him as trade bait this year)
    - Budinger --> YES (Same applies to him as it does to Hill)
    - Flynn --> NO
    - Williams --> NO (Nobody wants him including the Rockets, flatlined through 3 coaches. 2 of them being very mellow, player friendly coaches)

Any other predictions out there?

14. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I think Morey is gonna conserve space and decline all of them except CLee...
    yes, I think he's goona decline Bud, Twill, Hill, Flynn and Thabust... I'm guessin DM is gonna go all in on landing a superstar and watch every nickel... figurin he can always fill roster spots from the D league or undrafted rookies on the cheap if needed...

15. Roxfansince90

Roxfansince90 Member

Byebye 09 scrubs!!
    Hello cap space!!

16. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Chase Budinger was a second round pick in 2009, so he is not subject to these rules. The Rockets have a team option on Bud for 2012-13 at close to the league minimum salary, which can be exercised prior to June 30, 2012 AND is fully non-guaranteed if waived prior to August 1, 2012. It's a no-brainer that his option gets picked up.

Courtney Lee was a 2008 first round pick. The Rockets have no more options on him. He will be a restricted free agent after this season.

17. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

A further question, if the Rockets jettisoned all of the 09ers would any team pick them up?

18. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

The RGV Vipers might take a flier on some of them.

19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

If the Rockets decline the options on any of the 2009 first round picks, then they each will become unrestricted free agents. If any of them are worth keeping (i.e., Jordan Hill "gets it" and has a very solid second half of this season), they won't have the right of first refusal that comes with restricted free agency, but they'll still have Bird rights on each player.

Overlooked in all of this is that tomorrow is ALSO the deadline to exercise the third-year option on Patrick Patterson's contract. This should be a non-event, however, as it's a no-brainer that the Rockets will exercise it.

20. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Rockets unlikely to keep former lottery picks