1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[09-10] Most Improved Player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Asian Sensation, Aug 17, 2009.

?

[09-10] Most Improved Player

1. Brooks

51.1%
  2. Lowry

12.3%
  3. Ariza

25.1%
  4. Landry

11.5%
  1. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Kyle Lowry. DUH. Everyone else is so hyped up by this board they wouldn't be "improving" unless they put up all-star numbers. Kyle Lowry is the only blue-collar hardworking efficient player on this board no one ever talks about. Hence when he goes off for his Rajon-Rondo-esque stats when he gets the playing time he deserves he'll be M.I.P of the Rockets before you know it.

2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Two stars out... and one of the above players need to turn into one.

My pick is Aaron Brooks. The spotlight on him just got a little bit brighter, now that there is no legit offensive threat on this team. It is critical that Aaron develops consistency. Last year, I could live with some of his struggles since he was basically undergoing on-the-job training as a starter. Kyle Lowry will continually push him, and I don't expect that to change much this season.

This upcoming season will be Aaron Brooks' breakout year. 17 PPG, 5 APG, 46% shooting, and 42% from 3. I firmly believe that he will be our MOP.

3. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

According to the polls i guess Aaron has the best chance to improve the most, even though i think you should include Scola in the poll, but what evs :D

4. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

scola already won it this year...surely he cant win two M.I.P can he? Never knew a 30 year old could improve so much for so long a period.

OP shoulda included Joey Dorsey. This dude is SURE to fire

5. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Brooks will be the go to guy but I hope Landry improves to the point He delivers consistently both on offense and defense. Ariza, Brooks and Scola are known to score and take charge. It would be a pleasant surprise if Landry can go beyond his capabilities and be a big factor to the success of this team this season. Granting He does not get traded.

6. tdogg310

tdogg310 Member

I dont see how landry will be able to prove he will be MIP. There will not be a significant increase in his minutes this year, so i dont see it happening. But to everyone that wants him to get his stats then trade him, idk what you're thinking. We need to keep landry until we find out what we r gonna do about Scola next year. I think that Landry will be able to take over a starting role on this rockets team if scola is too pricey for us to keep. I love his game and his athleticism. Scolandry is easily the best PF combo in the league, and we wont be able to keep both of them for long. We r gonna have a tough decision to make this year on which of them will be able to fill the starting role for next year, and at what price.

7. Rocketfanatic2

I said Brooks for more than one reason.

- Has great games and poor games. If he is able to be taught to score 20 every game, with consistency, he will win it.

- Still gives up turnovers, so sometimes he makes the wrong decision. If they work with him on decision making, he has a good shot of winning it.

- If the decision making does improve, turnovers turn into assists, which makes the assist to turnover ratio a lot better, which is the most important stat for the point guard in some coaches' eyes. He wins it in this situation too.

- Sometimes, Brooks got a little hesitant with his shot, forcing misses. If he gains confidence that he can make every shot, he will be studly. He wins the award along with a confidence booster.

Ultimately, he has the most scenarios in which he would win most improved player, which is why i voted for him. I just couldn't see the other options having this much situations to win it. Imagine the player Brooks can become with all the above scenarios coming true. I know it's highly doubtful, but who knows. Hope all the players improve, but I think Brooks runs away with the title. :D

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Ariza. He has the most to gain from playing with this new group. Everything from Adelman's intention to "feature" him offensively to the likelihood of this group becoming more of a running team. It all seems to suggest that Ariza's numbers are going to be much better than his career 7-9 PPG averages suggest.

9. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

10. Apollo88

Apollo88 Member

Here are the 08-09 stats for my two candidates:

Aaron Brooks G-80 MPG-25:00 FG%-40.4 3PT%-36.6 FT%-86.6 RPG-2.0 APG-3.0 PPG-11.2

Trevor Ariza G-82 MPG24:23 FG%-46.0 3PT%31.9 FT%-71.0 RPG-4.3 APG-1.8 PPG-8.9

Most Improve Players are judged by how much they gained/improved from last season.

Now assuming that they both get an avg playing time of 32MPG and they both get to play and start 82 games:

If they both get to avg 18PPG: its +7 Brooks and +10 Ariza

For Brooks to win it over Ariza, Brooks must get an 8APG avg with his 18PPG or at least a 15PPG and 10APG might seal the deal for Brooks

For Ariza to win over Brooks, Ariza must maintain his 46.0 FG% along his 18PPG or 20PPG avg, or 18PPG 5RPG 5APG plus 45.0 FG% may give him the award or even an All-Star appearance.

My bet, Ariza gets to avg 24PPG on a 42% FG shooting, with 6RPG, 3APG and 2SPG!

11. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

There are too many players that should be bundled with Chuck... First it was Novak. Now Landry. Next season it's going to be David Andersen.

12. Chamillionaire

brooks is already considered a good player, he's already established himself as a legit rotational player. i think landry will improve the most, mostly because of PT available since Yao's injury. i expect scola and landry to have an important role this year.

kind of like the j*zz... okur = anderson, boozer = scola, landry

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

agreed. Aaron was averaging like 14 points and will probably improve to 18.
    Ariza could really explode from 8.7 to 15 and he is more versatile in other parts of the game

14. LBJ-Tmac

LBJ-Tmac Member

Tracy McGrady will be far better then he was last year.

15. Landry92

Landry92 Member

Althought i voted for AB
    Iam surprised scola isnt mentioned i Know he's 29 .. but i c scola being able to make that jump to an allStar i really do i think he the only capable player of averaging 15 to 20 pts ..

Dont Forget he will be our first choice on offense .. i can see ariza improving too if he finds a Jumpshot he's already a good slasher going to the basket​

16. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

i voted for AB, but I have a hunch Dorsey will have a strong season. 9 pts 12reb 2.3 blocks 4.5 fouls a game. We're gonna be jacking up a lot of shots this year, and somebody has to grab the rebounds.