1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

08-09 team better than 14-15 team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by phantoman, May 23, 2015.

?

Is the 08-09 rockets team better than 14-15 rockets team

Poll closed Jun 17, 2015.
  1. Yes, that squad was going places

55 vote(s)
    50.9%
  2. No, this years team is deeper and better

33 vote(s)
    30.6%
  3. Don't care - only championships matter

16 vote(s)
    14.8%
  4. Tie - if the teams were to play it would probably be a tie

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Throw in Artest and Mutombo to harass any subs like Josh, Dmo or Brewer.

We had an extremely solid team there. At the time, it wasn't evident that both Yao's and TMac's careers were at an end.

2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

09 team was much better, just had more important injuries.

TMac that year sucked, if that team had a healthy TMac from 05 or even 07 that'd be a championship team right there, if Yao doesn't break is foot.

3. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Sorry, I love Yao, but Howard is miles ahead as a rebounder and defensive anchor. This makes a big difference in the playoffs, as this year's run has shown. I would love to have an Artest or Battier on this team though, no question.

4. sew

sew Member

Nah, you're massively underselling Yao's defensive presence.

He had his issues with PnR, but he was an elite rim protector.

5. Patience

I don't mean to pin the loss only on Yao, but if he gets 1 defensive rebound in the last minute of the 2007 Jazz series, the Rockets win. Yao struggled with rebounding for a guy his size.

6. sew

sew Member

Okur and Booz killed Yao that series IIRC. Just a bad match up for him.

Dwight is definitely superior at rebounding, but to say he's miles ahead of Yao as a defensive anchor is just wrong.

Also, never liked the 'if you're tall, you have to be a great rebounder,' argument.

7. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Brooks/Lowry
    Artest/Wafer
    Battier
    Scola/Landry
    Yao/Hayes

VS.

Terry/Prigioni
    Harden
    Ariza/Brewer
    Jones/Smith
    Howard/Capela

I think 2009's PGs would eat up our guards. Artest and Battier would give Harden fits, but I feel he would get his as well. Scola would bamboozle Jones. Yao would likely get the upper hand on Howard. Brewer and Smoove have the edge over Landry and Wafer IMO. Hayes brings defense, Capela brings height. It isn't a stretch to say '08-'09 was one of our best teams ever.

8. Patience

I will say that Yao was light years ahead of Howard as an offensive player, and that he definitively proved he could be the focal point of a successful team, especially with his performance in the 2009 playoffs.

9. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

If fully healthy that 09 team is a monster.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Minus tmac traded for vince carter

11. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Don't remind me of tmacs parting gift of depriving us of vince carter for that run lol

12. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I knew I wasn't crazy...I remembered there being a report for a McGrady-Carter swap.

Lord... that year hurts man.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let me refresh your memory
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3913836

On Monday, sources said the Rockets had been pushing a trade that sends*Tracy McGrady*to the Nets for Carter and Trenton Hassell. However, on Tuesday, Rockets owner Leslie Alexander said that McGrady wouldn't be dealt before the deadline.

14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

This team is better than that 08-09 team.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Are we talking about the team with healthy Yao and Deke or are we talking about the team after the too big guys went down, the team that took the Lakers to 7 games?

16. PJ86

PJ86 Member

That team had at least one thing this team doesn't: consistent hustle from a lot of players. We have Ariza, Dwight to a certain degree (he takes possessions off and points fingers) and an occasional other player truly hustle and go after things. Beverley of course is #1 in that category.

Look at that 2009 team and we had: Landry, Scola, Hayes, Battier, Artest and to a certain degree Yao who would give it their all, dive for lose balls and just bring 110% every game. We now have Beverley, Ariza and Dwight. That's a huge difference maker, because talent wise this play-off roster should have the edge (so no T-mac, but still a healthy Deke). Still that 08-09 team could definitely win based on hustle and grit.

17. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Forgot all about Lowry, damn, maybe that team was more talented after all ;)

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Vakeaton Quamar Von Wafer instead of Tmac

19. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

One thing about Yao defensively, he didn't really even need to leave his man in the paint to defend potential driving players, he was the figurative Great Wall of China, a giant presence that with just arms out would change shots in the paint without the need to jump for blocks.

20. acjeitherocket

ahhh that was the year i was a red rowdy. i'd have to say that team was better. way better D. Still love this years squad though