1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

0-3 come back?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by teknokid, Oct 20, 2004.

1. teknokid

teknokid Member

Does anyone know of a professional team that has come back from 0-3 defecit in a series to win it all?
    Thanks in advance.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think someone said it was done in the NHL back in the 40s or something.

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

This was all over the sports news, no team has even came back from an 0-3 deficit to tie a series let a lonw win one.

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

thats not correct

it has been done, but only a few times

5. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

This is the first time it happened in MLB though. I heard it did happen in Hockey. But I don't know about the NBa.

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

It has never happened in the NBA or in MLB. It has happened 3 times in the NHL.

7. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

That's what I meant baseball.

8. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

There has been 5 0-3 comebacks in the NHL and out of those 5 only two the 1942 Leafs and the 75 Senators came back to win it (i maybe wrong on the team names)

It has never happened in baseball

It has happened I believe three times in the NBA, most recently 2 years ago when Dallas got a 3-0 lead on portland who stormed back to force a game 7.

hope that helps clarify

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think they meant Professional sports team

NHL does not qualify ;)

Rocket River
    "If you don't have a ball . . .you don't have a sport" - George Carlin

10. Chicken Boy

Chicken Boy Member

Any organize game where there's a possibility of severe injury qualifies as a sport.

11. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

I thought baseball was a sport. :p

12. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Ain't nothing more serious than a pulled groin:D

13. Just B

Just B Member

So do you think that pro wrestling is a sport? (For the record, I'm still torn on whether it is or not)

14. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Nah... it's scripted, so it's simply a very physically demanding performance art.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

My Favorite Hockey team the NY Islanders did it to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

GO ISLES !!

LINK

The turnaround was apparent in the 1974-75 season, as an Islander team lead by Denis Potvin, Clark Gilles, and Billy Smith finished with 33 wins and their first ever birth in the NHL playoffs. Their first round opponents were the 'dreaded' New York Rangers, heavy favorites to win that series. But the Islanders had other plans and accomplished a major upset by defeating the Rangers in the best of three series. Their next round opponent were the Pittsburg Penguins, another prohibitive favorite. The Islanders lost the first three games, but came around to tie up the series at three games a piece. Game seven was scoreless until late in the third period when Eddie Westfall scored what would be the winning goal. The Islanders had found their way into the history books becoming only the second team since 1942 to come back from a 0-3 deficit. They faced off against the Flyers in the next round and were once again down three games. In a case of deja vu, the Islanders came back and tied up that series at three games each, but could not pull off another upset and lost to the Philadelphia team.

They did not win the championsip but they came back from two 0-3 series records to force a game 7, one they won, the other they lost.

DD

#15 DaDakota, Oct 21, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2004