1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

“Kneeling is disrespecting the military/anthem blah blah!”

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by LosPollosHermanos, Jun 26, 2020.

1. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Im one of those people.

2. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Including those who are deeply offended by such an offensive gesture?

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Does this deeply offend you?

R0ckets03, mdrowe00 and Reeko like this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The flag isn't alive. It's not a person.

Instead of crying about a flag, why not complain about Putin paying the Taliban to have bounties on our servicemen?

Reeko likes this.
  5. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Why the deflection?

6. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Sure.
    Right after you show empathy about our own people being saddened by flag disrespect.

7. bobrek

It's not a deflection. Some folks are offended by Kaepernick, some aren't. You apparently are offended unless I misunderstood your post. Are you offended by the President's antics during the anthem?

8. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Real quick, why would you vote Democrat over not being able to connect with Trump? Presumably, you being a Republican has nothing to do with Trump, correct?

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

lol @ saddened by flag disrespect

Sorry I value the troops lives far more than a dumb flag. A flag isn't worth dying for.

Invisible Fan and Reeko like this.
  10. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Im voting for Biden because despite his flaws I think he will be an infinitely better leader than Trump. I’m tired of seeing our current President (the guy I voted for) blame everyone else for failures and take full credit for any successes. I’m tired of watching him divide the country over something so simple as wearing a mask.

I read a lot of books on leadership, in each one of them they give examples of poor leadership. Trump ticks all of the boxes of a poor leader. And even as a Republican, I just can’t vote to keep him in office four more years.

Biden is definitely flawed as well, but he at least shows the ability to listen to people. He shows compassion, and the willingness to try to understand where they are coming from. I can respect having a guy like that in office.

11. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

It is deflection when you answer my question with your own question.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Sounds like you are avoiding his question because you can't answer it.

Reeko likes this.
  13. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

So the troops who love that flag and fought under it and have survived with terrible injuries mean nothing to you?
    Got it.

14. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Discussion etiquette is lost on you apparently.

15. bobrek

I'll answer both...I respect Kaepernicks right to peacefully protest during the anthem. I respect the President's right to perform antics during the anthem.

How about you?

mdrowe00 likes this.
  16. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Can't disagree with any of that.

I just wonder why people go against their ideals and vote for someone that believes what they don't based on a candidate. People did that in 2016 and voted for Trump because Hillary was worse to them even though they disagreed with the Republican platform and vise versa.

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Why don't you show empathy and understand that not all Americans can equally have the privilege of worshiping this flag. WW2 African American vets came home to people calling them niggers and being segregated. They don't have the luxury to see the flag as a symbol of freedom and justice like you do. Have empathy for the people who didn't have the privilege of experience the same freedom and justice that you experience.

18. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Does it happen today - 75 years later?

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This might be something like that. The President is supposed to be the leader of these folks and yet allows them to be targeted without supporting them. He hasn't even tried to help them. He's only ignored.

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Yes unless you believe urban black people are.lyong and playing a victim complex.

It happens in different ways. Today "******" is out of bounds. Today racism looks like people denying causality of 400 years of history having no effect on today. Also, you should look at this map:
    [​IMG]

That's the Congressional district map for the Civil Rights Act. People have mothers abd grandmothers still alive when that act was signed. Now look at all those districts that voted no. That's millions of Americans who's representative voted no to ENDING segregation. When MLK was alive, half the country thought he was an evil Marxist race baiter.

You think all these sentiments just magically vanished? Those millions of opinions held just vanished? No. You see the opinions in the data. For example did you know that witnesses overestimate the size of a black male considerably more than a white male? It's because many people automatically percieve a black male as a threat and this they might seem larger than they actually are. Did you know that Black people are stopped considerably less by patrol cars at night? It's because you can see the color of someone's skin much easier in the day. Did you know that black males are 6 times more likely to be charged for possession of weed than a white male even though surveys and studies suggest that white males and black males consume weed at similar rates.

CometsWin and FranchiseBlade like this.