1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

U.S. Soccer - Brad Friedel announces international retirement

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Zac D, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=324345&cc=5901

CORAL GABLES, Florida, Feb 7 (Reuters) - Blackburn Rovers goalkeeper Brad Friedel announced his retirement from international soccer on Monday.

'After a great deal of thought, consideration and discussion I have decided that now is the right time to bring to a close my time representing the U.S.,' Friedel said in a statement from England.

'I have loved every minute of it, but feel now is the right time to end my international career,' he added in the statement made public as the U.S. team prepared for Wednesday's World Cup qualifier against Trinidad & Tobago in Port of Spain.

'The English Premier League is incredibly demanding and over the remaining years of my professional career, I want to give myself the best possible chance to continue to play at the highest level for my club.'

The 33-year-old was a member of the United States squad in the last three World Cup tournaments. He won 82 caps in an international career that began in 1992.

Friedel's last appearance for the U.S. came in a 1-0 friendly victory away to Poland in March 2004 -- the first victory for the Americans in Europe since 1998.

'He feels he has done all he wants to do on the international level,' U.S. coach Bruce Arena told reporters after a U.S. squad training session.

'He wants to spend more time with his family and wants to focus on his career (at Blackburn).'

Friedel has made 162 league appearances for Blackburn and scored one goal since joining them from Liverpool in 2000.

Arena said he was not surprised by Friedel's decision.

'I've known about it for a while,' he said. 'We talked about it last year, I told him to take some time and think about it.'

He and Kasey Keller, who left Tottenham Hotspur for Borussia Moenchengladbach last month, have shared the number one place on the U.S. team since 1995.

It was Friedel who backboned the Americans' surprise run to the quarter-finals of the 2002 World Cup where the U.S. lost to eventual runners-up Germany.

Some of Arena's fondest memories of Friedel came at that tournament in Asia.

'I remember him stopping a lot of things,' he said, 'including a couple of penalty kicks in the World Cup. He's had a pretty complete career and he feels it's time (to retire) and he is comfortable with it.'

Friedel began his professional career with Galatasaray under coach Graeme Souness in 1995 before moving to Major League Soccer club Columbus Crew for the 1996 and 1997 seasons.

He was transferred to Liverpool in late 1997, but did not hold a first team place for any extended period of time.

---------------

I'm disappointed. Even though we have a lot of decent goalkeepers and this may give some young ones a chance to shine behind Keller (who is surely now the de facto #1), I think Friedel's the best we had and his loss is a blow.

2. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Damn, he was always one of my favorites. I always found it amazing that we had THE two best keepers in the world. I always felt very comfortable with either Friedel or Keller in goal. I wish we didn't have to platoon them like we did and one of them could play full time but you can't justify keeping either one of them on the bench.

I haven't followed the national team in about a year or so. Is Keller still the main keeper? I saw they were using Howard for some of the qualifying last year, but I hope Keller will be in there for the big games.

3. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

THE two best goalkeepers in the world?!

4. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

my thought exactly:confused:

5. synergy

synergy Member

yes, friedel was simply amazing to watch..

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

A loss for sure, but with Keller and Howard we should be ok.

DD

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

LOL

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

SJC,

How is Landon Donavan doing over there this year?

Isn't he with Bayern Levehnkusan?

DD

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I think he is, but to be honest, I haven't really heard of him playing. Maybe he is on the roster, but hasn't played or something like that. Haven't really followed Bayer Leverkusen much recently.

10. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

We did have two of the top ten or fifteen for sure!
    The U.S. has been able to produce some very good goalkeeping talent. Looking at some other countries(England,Germany) and their problems just shows how stable our position is between the sticks.
    And to say Friedel wasn't one of the best, puhhleeze!
    All he did was help his country to the WC quarterfinals and save two penalties in that same tournament.

11. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

He's played in all three games Leverkusen have played since he joined, including last week's game against your own Bayern Munich, he's only been a second half sub however.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Thanks for the info...I had tickets to the game, but didn't go. From what I have seen in the past, he is a pretty good player.

13. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Is it just me, or does he not get this recognition anywhere? I might be wrong, I'm not an expert on his game. How does Germany have BIG problems? Before Kahn's dip, he was one of the best in the world and had the no.1 for quite a few years. Are you talking about before him? And now they have Hildebrand as well. I've never heard of Friedl being in the top for the Premiership or Europe or anything and he has been here for many many years. All I've known of him is that he is decent. No way would I consider him for TOP spot.

14. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Ace, arno_ed, and Jackie Chiles, I don' t see what you guys don't understand or what you think is funny about my statement.

I am not alone in my opinion. Over the years I have heard several soccer commentators express exactly the same view about Keller and Friedel.

The fact is, after Peter Schmeichel retired. Keller and Friedel clearly stood as the two best goalkeepers in international soccer.

15. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

I never said friedel was THE best, I said he was up there with some of today's best.
    And I never said germany had BIG problems, but problems none the less. Kahn and Lehmann will probably be too old for 2006 and they both feel like they deserve the spot and Hildebrand is unproven in international games.
    Friedel was chosen best goalkeeper in the EPL for 2002 by the players.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I would say that Keller and Friedel are two of the best keepers in the world. If you look to overall goalkeeping talent, you come to the US. There will be more and more leaving for Europe. Keller probably isn't far behind Friedel in retiring from the MNT. I don't think he will be the starter next year. I think it will be between Howard and Johnny Walker.

Either way, Friedel should be considered one the the greatest soccer players to come out of the US. He was simply unbelievable in the 2002 WC (he was better than Kahn, IMO, and should have been in the top 11. Kahn is and has always been overrated, IMO). He will be inducted to the US Soccer Hall of Fame when it is all said and done. I wish for him great success at Blackburn and whatever he does after his club career is over.

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I had heard that they were going to work him in slowly. Unless something unforseen happens, he will be starting by the end of this season.

18. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

I am no trying to say he is rubbish. I'm simply saying that he is definitely not as good as you make him out to be. Actually, let me rephrase. What I found funny was the statement that Friedel and Keller make up the two best goalkeepers in the world.

You say that Kahn and Lehmann will be too old, but how will Keller and Friedel not be?! I mean they are basically in the same age range as both Kahn and Lehmann (the latter a bit older maybe?). And don't tell me Howard is so much more proven relative to Hildebrand. He does have more, but not significantly. Plus he's on the bench.

But anyway.... again, the statement that Keller and Friedel were "clearly" the top two international keepers is so out of place. I mean, there are quite a few decent goalkeepers. If one were to say that they were in the top 10 (both of them not just one - maybe Friedel does deserve it), I might argue against it but I would not rule it out as crazy talk. To say that these two guys are "clearly" (or were) the top two is just a bit much. Imo anyway.

Don't want this to turn into a major argument I'm just happy we are talking about football! :)

19. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

I'm wondering what would an internet soccer riot look or sound like?

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Hahahahahahaha :D.

Keller plays for one of the worse teams in Germany now (Moenchengladbach), he is actually pretty good. I am not saying your goalkeepers are bad at all, I just think saying these two "are clearly the two best goalkeepers in international soccer" is kind of like saying Tony Parker and Carlos Arroyo are clearly the two best guards in basketball.