1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Refs Suck!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RockenRam5, Feb 3, 2001.

1. RockenRam5

RockenRam5 Member

Is it just me or do the refs suck nowadays. I am not saying just when the Rocks play, but all the time. The way they call the game is so inconsistant. I don't just mean from game-to-game, but rather in game. Their view on what a foul is and isn't changes every time down the court. If the refs were calling a tight game the entire way or they were swallowing their whistles, I wouldn't mind as long as it was consitant. Another thing that is bad with refs, is they show favoritism. I was watching the Celtics-Pistons game lastnight and everytime Stackhouse was touched, or justed turned it over, a whistle blow. I can recall on several occasions, the Celts went inside and were mugged and no call. Many other people brought it up, that Steve Javie hates the Nuggets. Whenever he officiates their games, you know a Nugz player will be ejected. I can't remember the refs sucking this bad, but if you can, let me know about it.

------------------
    "GiddyUP!!!"
    Krammer from Seinfeld

2. newAge_Rockets

Bumpity Bump Bump Bump. 14 years later, and still just as bad. Our offense can't do anything if the refs take away our post game. I don't get it the last few games, why haven't we been getting the calls? A hack is a hack is a hack, so why do these officials decide to make the calls whenever they feel like it. Ugh, that ugly a** woman is now one of my least favorite referees.

3. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

Thats three against east teams.....Hawks at home, Chicago and now Detroit....

4. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

nba refs are the worst, they are all about rigging regular season games for exciting playoff matchups... the league wants us to matchup with dallas... i betcha

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

There's a reason it's always east teams

And it's not only us either

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

what other games are you referring to with west teams getting jobbed against the east? would be interesting to see those box scores

7. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Refs pander to active home crowds. Refs let the pistons foul Smith all night.

8. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Yep the refs are rigging the games so the pistons win.

1 person likes this.
  10. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I just hate that "get the defender in the air and jump into him for a shooting foul". That's not a basketball play. The NBA must address this issue somehow. Its almost as bad a blatant flop.

11. SemisolidSnake

As I sit here, I can think of like half a dozen things off the top of my head that would make calling the game easier and more fair. There's clearly a top-level interest in not seeing more accuracy where it counts.

The only thing I think would actually get things moving in the right direction is if a few teams either together or separately just refused to play after they'd gotten screwed enough. Even if it was the worst teams in the league, it's not as if the NBA could ignore it.

Or how about a team like the Nuggets refuses to play if they get a ref that clearly hates them? They could easily put together a long video of unfair or uneven calls, then demand that any ref in the league replace him, but that they won't play unless it's done. Again, it couldn't be ignored. Short of something like that, though, I don't see anything that would force the NBA to clean things up.

12. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

there was a hip check in the 2nd Q i'd like to see a video of. Harden running on the baseline, one of the Piston bigs stuck his hip out, sent harden flying out of bounds.

no call, pass to harden out of bounds, TO.

i'm not sure how the refs swallowed the whistle there.

13. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Here's the rules I'd change if it were up to me:
    1. Add a coaches challenge. Maybe, two per half and risk losing timeouts.
    2. Flops can be reviewed and called a foul. They are hard to call in real-time.
    3. Offensive player jumping into the defender is not a foul.
    4. Get rid of goal tending after the ball hits the rim. These always seem arbitrary.
    5. The offensive player that spins on a defender is not automatically an offensive foul.
    6. Fix the disparity between touch fouls on the perimeter and post players getting mugged. As a spectator, these are frustrating and seem unfair and often just favors the superstar players.
    7. Hooking seems to be random call. Either call it consistently and or get rid of it. Every player is always frustrated with these calls.
    8. Lose ball fouls, generally. Unless one player is reckless, these should be no-calls regardless of who falls down. Let them play.
    9. You can't call a common foul and review for flagrant. A review should only occur to distinguish between a F1 or F2. You can downgrade to common but you can't upgrade a common to a F1. Again, Let them play.
    10. Over-the back rebounds when a bigger guy gets it over a shorter guy. If you can jump much higher, then it isn't over the back, you're just bigger. I hate it when, say, a PG and Howard are going for the ball and Howard gets a foul. However, I don't see this one as much anymore. Yao got a lot of these but they've cleaned this up recently. These used to drive me crazy.

The one call that is consistently wrong, by the letter, but they usually get right by the spirit is the over-the-back out-of-bounds calls. Rather than calling a foul, the refs just call it out-of-bounds on the offending player. I like those calls.

#13 krosfyah, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  14. seeingred

seeingred Member

i'm ambivalent about the whole thing. On one hand, i've watched rockets teams that didn't have superstars get jobbed by refs. Carmelo, lebron, DWill (it was a while ago) would run into the lane, throw their shoulder into chuck hayes and get a whistle. Aaron brooks would do the exact same thing. Result - no call and a fast break the other way. Once in a while we'd get a ref team that said "no blood, no foul" and we'd beat a good team (or it'd be close).

Now the shoe is on the other foot. We have a guard who lives in the paint. He initiates contact. They usually call it. If he gets hacked, they call it. Sometimes if he doesn't, they still call it. But we still get the odd crew that says "no blood, no foul".

I would need to watch a game in slow motion to see what the hell happened in Detroit last night. I did see their bigs going straight up and down a lot (which shouldn't be a foul). But i also think i saw a lot of arm grabbing on the way to the hoop. Also seems like i've seen some hand checking on the perimeter. I know i saw James on the ground a lot (which happens every night).

In a way, it's scary to know that if the refs decide to shut Harden down, our offense goes out the window. Then again, if the refs decide it's ok to foul ANY team's best player, the same could be said.

no conclusion (i did say i was ambivalent). It's strange and scary. If they decide to "Kevin Martin" Harden... yeesh.

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I second these changes. I also think referees should have to face the media after games to hold them accountable. The referee union really hurts the game by protecting these guys. If you watch college ball, the game is completely different. So, I know it's possible to do better than they are currently doing.

16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Did the NBA rig the game last night? No.

But does the NBA make a concerted effort to be more lenient towards teams in the East, cognizant of the extreme talent disparity? I think so. In the end they still let the West steam roll the East in the NBA finals, so that's all that matters.

17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Danny Crawford just doesn't like the Rockets.

He was swallowing the whistle last night on Rocket drives.

I don't really understand how the foul discrepancy was so large as Harden, Ariza, and DMo were attacking the paint last night.

18. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

the refs suck or the drive and kick and chuck threes offense suck? which one is it?

19. MattM

MattM Member

I've noticed he same thing vs east teams. I wonder if the east overall is being shown favoritism vs west teams. The Chicago game was the worst I've seen in years

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Interesting note is that the home court advantage is disappearing now that Stern is gone.