1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dear Les...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pistol Pete, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have been an avid Rockets fan since the mid 70's, I love the Rockets. With that said, I can't stand Jeff Van Gundy. His "tough love" coaching tactic is wearing thin on the players and, as you can see by the response on this board, most of the fans too.

I hate it that Van Gundy is causing me to lose interest in this team. I still love the team but his style of basketball bores me. Even when Steve and Cat were here and we were losing, the games were fun because of their athleticism. TMAC has even more athleticism but Van Gundy's system stifles the life out of his game. As a fan, I want to get excited by what I see on the floor. There have been flashes of that this year but a good run always seems followed by a timeout in which we see Van Gundy browbeating a player for something that happened a few minutes before. It seems as though Van Gundy completely ignores the good things on the floor so that he can focus on the bad. As a fan, I hate it when Van Gundy kills my "Basketball Buzz" with his smug act.

Please do us all a huge favor and fire Jeff Van Gundy. It's not the players, Les. Van Gundy needs to be flexible. He needs to be like Rudy was. Mold the system around the player's talents, not vice versa. Bringing more ex Knick players who can actually stand to play for Van Gundy is not going to right this ship. Getting rid of Van Gundy will be a huge step in the right direction.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I feel the same way. It is sad when I would rather see a lakers and magic game than a rockets game. The rockets are still my favorite but they are now my least favorite to watch. They are just no fun at all. They have no soul.

3. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Couldn't this have gone in one of the other Fire Van Gundy Threads?

4. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

It could have but I wanted to direct it to Les Alexander.

5. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Then an email to the rockets organization might be more appropriate.

Carry on.

6. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

Whatever, Dude! I don't need you telling me where to post things.

7. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Then write an email to him and quit wasting space.

8. shawn786

shawn786 Member

What u shoulda done is made a petition that people could sign and than email em over to Les & the ROX orginization.

9. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

Yeah...Vecsey as if your snide comment wasn't a waste of space.

There are too damn many nitpickers on this board. Get off my back already....

10. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

It wasn't snide; it was a fact. There are 400 different "Fire Van Gundy!" threads right now. What makes YOUR post special and deserving of its own thread? Look, it's a good post. It's just in the wrong place.

11. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Now this is something that really gets to me. I've never seen a coach kill his own teams momentum with timeouts. Thats one thing Gundy does that I noticed and it doesn't make any sense to me. Glad you pointed that out.

12. UNMKT4

UNMKT4 Member

Joel Osteen for Rocket's head coach!!!!

13. jediknight94595

jediknight94595 Contributing Member

I just emailed a copy of this to Rockets fan mail. I hope everyone does the same. :D

14. caphorns

caphorns Member

Another reminder, for many reasons, of why the Rox have some of the worst fans of any sport.

Maybe before you petition Les -- or even join the many hypocritical voices of darkness on this baord -- you should pay respect to the fact that Les owned the only 2 championship teams in men's professional sports in this city. He stuck with Rudy until it was painfully obvious the guy had lost interest in the team. He hired the best available coach by all accounts (who everybody wanted to play for not more than a few months ago). For some reason, I think Les can make his own decision from here. If Jeff flames out over the rest of the season, I'm sure you will not need to "lose interest" or other somesuch bull****.

Be a fan, not a bandwaggon jumper. And, don't forget that the Pistons ran the most boring show in basketball last year (ran it all the way to a championship).

You guys act like JVG has had a full season to work with the new lineup --- or worse, that you are better coaches than JVG. I'll bet anything that none of you ever coached at the professional level, much less the college level. So what qualifies you to talk about coaching? PS2?

We are 15 games in to the first year of T-Mac and Yao. Nobody said that winning would happen overnight. Either show some patience or go ahead and jump off the bandwaggon. I'd rather not have bandwaggon fans anyway.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

what he said.

16. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

If he wants to browbeat them, do that crap in practice. We don't need to see it every game. I don't go to McDonalds to watch the Shift Leader tell the drink guy he's dragging ass and I don't go to Rockets games to watch Van Gundy b**** at Nachbar about a pick he didn't set 10 plays before.

17. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

Dude, I was going to games when Wally Walker and Jelly Bean Bryant were playing major minutes on this team. Don't hand me that crap.

Van Gundy jumped off his the bandwagon in New York, so give that speech to him.

18. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

It is amazing how fickle and soft the fans on this bbs are these days.

Who is soft now? Ming Yao or some of the fire JVG-bandwaggon fans? There is crying in basketball folks. Get a grip of yourselves and get rid of the zombie-like emotional movement that is consuming this forum.

Jeeez...

19. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I'm with caphorns and MadMax.

And please...there's no way we know 1/2 of what went on behind the scenes in JVG's leaving New York. But are you saying that any coach who leaves his position is jumping off the bandwagon and is giving up on his team? I guess Rudy T did too. I guess a million other coaches have. Hey how about Hubie this year?

I'm glad you've been a fan for so long. You should still give JVG a little time to work with a new team...more than a couple of months.

Think of it this way. If we had hired a new coach in July, would you have expected everyone on the team to understand his system and be winning quickly? I'm thinking most people would have given it more time.. you hafta think of this the same way. Mostly new rotation players playing in a new system...the equivalent of hiring a new coach. Except in this case the players haven't played with each other much either. So they're getting used to the system AND each other. Give it time..

20. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

Speak for yourself. Actually, I think you just spoke about yourself.

I don't recall not paying respect to that. Les has been a great owner.

That statement is just plain silly... Rudy T loves this organization. It was evident by the fact he was nearly in tears at the Press Conference announcing his resignation.

Actually, he wanted Larry Brown but Larry went to Detroit. Who wanted to play for him, besides ex Knicks? MCGrady wanted to play with Yao, I don't recall Van Gundy being a major selling point.

I'm sure Les listens to the fans. After all he listened to those that rode Rudy's ass out of town. The Rocket's would have made the playoffs if Rudy didn't have to leave the team for medical reasons.
    If Rudy had a fault it was his skills as a GM. As a Coach, he was a great motivator.

And, don't forget that the Pistons ran the most boring show in basketball last year (ran it all the way to a championship).

It had to be the second most boring if Van Gundy was around. Van Gundy can't carry Brown's jock when it comes to coaching a basketball team.

He didn't do jack with last years club and he doesn't look any better this year. No one said anything about "us" being a better coach.

This is a forum. We chat about things related to basketball here. Deal with it. I doubt there is a college or pro coach on this board. That doesn't mean we dont know basketball.

I'd rather not read anymore of your drivel either.....