1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"...One of the best shooters we have ever tested here."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DavidS, May 5, 2003.

1. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Found this old article on my computer. Seems kind of silly when you read it again.

Sounds ominously similar to the Nachbar pick, doesn't it?

Scary...

====
    Turkcan surprises with deft shot
    By MICHAEL MURPHY

Copyright 1998
    Houston Chronicle 8:29 PM 6/26/1998

After going through last season with a roster that had more wrinkles than the California raisin crop, the Rockets wanted to stock up on a few young Turks with their three first-round picks in the 1998 NBA draft.

And in Mirsad Turkcan, their third first-round pick at No. 18, the Rockets literally did -- they picked a young Turk. Turkcan, a 6-9 forward from Efes Pilsen, is the first Turkish player to be selected in the annual NBA draft.

"My phone has been ringing all day," said Turkcan, who averaged 15.2 points and 9.2 rebounds last season for Efes Pilsen, the top team in Turkey. "They are very excited. It is big news in Turkey. The television (stations) were (doing) live (interviews over the phone), and newspapers were putting it on the front page. I am so excited."

But not as excited as coach Rudy Tomjanovich sounded when he introduced Turkcan at Friday's news conference. Tomjanovich knew Turkcan, 22, had a reputation as perhaps the most rugged rebounder in Europe, but during his workouts in Houston before the draft, the coaching staff found out "Mickey" can stick the outside shot as well. Like most every other team in the NBA, the Rockets have expanded their overseas scouting, and Turkcan was on several wish lists Wednesday when the NBA held its draft at General Motors Place in Vancouver, British Columbia.

"This pick I have to credit to our scout, Joe Ash," Tomjanovich said. "Joe had told me about him during the season, and he told me that (Turkcan) was the most aggressive international player he had seen. He really goes after rebounds, but he (Ash) couldn't really describe what position (Turkcan) plays." He said, `Well, he sort of plays like a (Dennis) Rodman, but I think he can shoot.'

So when we brought Mirsad in, we worked him out and he said that he played (power forward) for one team, but he also felt he could play (small forward). "We didn't know about his outside shot, but then we put him through the (shooting) drills, and to our amazement he was one of the best shooters we have ever tested here. We are very pleased to add him to our basketball team."

Even if Turkcan is a name that isn't on a lot of tongues in Houston. Yet. "I know that right now, probably a lot of people are saying, `Who is this guy?' and, `Where did they get that guy?' " said Turkcan with the help of an interpreter, Erhan Uskup, president of the American-Turkish Association. "But I am determined to make my name known by contributing to the success of the Rockets. Over here, nobody knows me. "Many players from Europe come over here for the draft, but after the first and second round, they go back to Europe because they didn't make it (get drafted). But I have come to Houston to play."

Turkcan said he will go home for three weeks before returning to Houston for good. When his vacation is finished, Turkcan will come back to Houston to lift weights and shoot the basketball in preparation for the NBA season.

"I have played for the (Turkish national team) and the junior team for the last four years and have had only seven days of rest," Turkcan said. "I spoke to Rudy today, and he said that maybe after 20 or 25 days I can come back." About the only negative impression Turkcan has had of the draft is it has forced him to miss much of the World Cup. Like Hakeem Olajuwon, Turkcan began his athletic career on the soccer pitch. "Oh, yes," Turkcan said. "It was my first sport, just like Hakeem. I got too tall, though. By the time I was 15 I was 6-6, and that's too tall for football (soccer). "My favorite (World Cup) teams are Yugoslavia and Brazil. I think Yugoslavia will win. We'll see. "I have only seen two games, Germany and Yugoslavia (playing a) 2-2 (tie) and then at the airport (Thursday) Yugoslavia and the U.S. (a 1-0 Yugoslav win)."

#1 DavidS, May 5, 2003
    Last edited: May 5, 2003
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Hilarious! hopefully Boki won't go the way of Mickey. Maybe we should just get rid of that shooting drill.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

So, there is a difference between a work out player and a basketball game player?

I liked it better when Rox drafted from game tapes like Sammy.

4. goophers

goophers Member

Wasn't the same said about Langhi, then Nachbar. I'm not liking this trend at all. What the heck kind of shooting drills do they have these guys running? If I can hit 22/25 three pointers, can I get a contract, too?

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

DavidS, funny article! I agree, very scary to read that and then apply it to Nachbar. Ya, know, the shooting and the scoring really impresses the Rockets but when it comes time to getting PT on the floor for the Rockets it is the DEFENSE that these players really lack that holds them back. Perhaps instead of running all these shooting drills they try to run some defensive drills or something.

Do the Rockets know who they are buying when they draft these people? I don't understand what they see initially, but then when they get them on the court whatever they saw somehow vanishes!

6. DavidS

Yeah, it's that "happy go lucky, cavalier" attitude which is so funny.

Is like one of the coaches saying, "Wow! The guy hit 50 free-throws in a row during a practice session. It was one of the most incredible shooting displays I've ever seen in my life! This guys is going to be something special in this league!"

Sound like Bill Walton embellishments to me.

The scary thing is...
    I can't tell if the coaching staff is just feeding the media a sound bite about the draft, or do they really believe what they are saying about our draft picks (without even seen ONE regular seasons game)?

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Apparently they don't understand that it's much harder to hit jumpers in an NBA game with Doug Christie in your face in Sacramento than it is at Westside with Joe Ash guarding you in his Dockers.

8. DavidS

LOL!!!!! :D :D :D

Joe Ash better be careful, he might pull a hamstring one of these days! Or worse, his cell phone my drop out of his pocket!

:D

9. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

what ever happend to Turkcan

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Well, Mirsad was the Euro Player of the Year last year at age 27. He has proven he is a great shooter and good rebounder in the top Euro League. For a #18th pick, how bad is that?

11. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Maybe Rudy just has an infatuation with skinny white guys...Good thing Ming was there, or the Rockets might have picked Mike Dunleavy, Jr...

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Why did he never pan out in the NBA? I mean with all that talk about his aggressive style and amazing touch was he really that bad?

13. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

Career:
    1994-1995: Efes Pilsen Istanbul (1T)
    1995-1996: Efes Pilsen Istanbul (1T)
    1996-1997: Efes Pilsen Istanbul (1T)
    1997-1998: Efes Pilsen Istanbul (1T): 11.3ppg, 7.4rpg
    1998-1999: Efes Pilsen Istanbul, joined the team in Dec.'98, but only for Euroleague games, in Jan.'99 was traded by Houston Rockets (NBA) to Philadelphia 76ers (NBA), in Apr.'99 was signed by New York Knicks (NBA), but placed immediatelly on the injured list and did not play any game
    1999-2000: New York Knicks (NBA): released in Feb.'00, and the same month signed by Milwaukee Bucks (NBA): 17games: 1.9ppg, 1.9rpg
    2000-2001: Efes Pilsen Istanbul (1T): $1million: 5games: 18.4ppg, 7.6rpg, 3apg; Suproleague: 6games: 9.3ppg, 6.2rpg, then moved to Paris SG (FRA-ProA): 14games: 15.9ppg, 8.4rpg, 2.3apg
    2001-2002: CSKA Moscow (RUS): got injured in Dec.'02: NEBL stats: 3games: 14.7ppg, Reb-1(11.7rpg), 2.7apg, 1.7spg, 1.0bpg; Euroleague stats: 17games: 17.6ppg, 12.8rpg, 2.1apg, 1.2bpg, 1.2bpg; Russian League: 35games: 15,1ppg, 10.5rpg, 2.9apg, 1.6spg
    2002-2003: Monte dei Paschi Siena (ITA-SerieA)

14. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

He couldn't be any worse than Dan Langhi or Jason Collier.

15. UTweezer

good god.

16. a-rock

a-rock Member

don´t bash collier... poor little guy was injured all the time :D

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Boy, Rudy and his staff sure have a knack for spotting and developing talent...

18. UTweezer

Can't seem to remember, but what happened with Najera and the Rockets?

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Precisely. He's got the "gosh, that guy reminds me of me" syndrome.

Lanky white small forwards.

Proof? Damn Lanky (rather than Najera), Boki, Mirsad "Doogie Houser's Doppelganger" Turkcan....and I think he really seriously considered Nikoloz Tskitishvilli in last year's draft.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Omega,

Not sure why you quoted me when pulling the stats...but this is what I was referring, too.

<a href="http://www.euroleague.net/plantillas/jugador.jsp?id=AYR">Named 2001-2002 Euroleague Regular Season MVP</a> see the miscellaneous info
    <a href="http://www.euroleague.net/noticia.jsp?temporada=E02&jornada=20&id=368">2002-2003 Euroleague Statistical Leader plus the Playoff Season MVP</a> This is the Top 16 season MVP, which I think is considered more significant, no?