1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Well, I Tried But I Guess I Am Nothing More Than a Hangout Poster

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Oct 24, 2002.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I have been foolin myself for the longest time. Something inside of me kept telling me that this was true, but I did not want to believe it. However, after this morning, I now know the cold, harsh reality:

I am nothing more than a hangout and occasional fantasy forum poster here.

I came up with a thread that I thought would garner some responses, but other than a gratuitious bump from myself, it garnered only 1 response. Here is the thread in question:

Out of the 30 threads that are showing on the first page of the main forum, I know maybe 15 of the thread starters, meaning I have heard of them before.

Some of those threads look interesting, and others don't. Also, it seems like the threads that get the most responses are the ones started by trolls.

I love this place, and I plan on using this site more than ever to keep up with the Rocks since I am not getting League Pass this year (I'm gone like 3 nights a week and if I tape the games, I'll never get around to watch them). However, it distresses me that I come to the Hangout more often than the forum that got me signed up in the first place!

I know that there are others out there that feel more comfortable posting in the Hangout than the main forum. I wonder if that bothers them like it bothers me?

I wonder what is the best way to become known as a "Rockets Forum" poster again? If someone has ideas, I am all ears.

Jeff, Clutch, Brian, etc.,

I hope that y'all don't find this thread as one that "labels the board". That was not my intent. I guess it was more of an observation of how a poster that posted exclusively in the Rockets forum can't post there like he used to. Surely, this is something that has been mentioned here in the past. However, if you feel that this thread is an incenidary one, then go ahead and delete it.

2. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Hell, I've never posted anywhere BUT the Hangout. I just wanted to share that and make sure you get at least one post here too...:)

3. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Hang in their Manny. Same thing has happened to me. Remember any day is a good day when the Rockets play--regardless of momentary "success" on cc.net.:)

4. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I lurked on the Rockets forum part of the bbs since oct 99 but never really posted very often. Then 1 day about 6 months ago I decided to check out the hangout. Since then my post count has gone from about 20 to just over 400. I bet 50 of my total posts are in the rockets forum. I still lurk and read the rockets forum but I think I still post more here.

5. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Manny, I have a solution.

When the Rockets lose, I will undoubtedly start a negative thread "questioning" the Rockets in some way or another. You can just respond in some sort of bashing fashion, and gain several Rockets posts that way. :D

6. rockit

rockit Contributing Member

Hey Manny,

At least you can garner responses on one of the boards ... I'm still striving to get credibility!! :confused:

Mostly, I like to read the posts, but I tend to refrain from posting more and more.

Soooo... forget about the Rockets forum :D continue in here!

--rockit

7. Manny Ramirez

LOL

That was a good one.

I know this is going to sound crazy (coming from a bitter enemy like me...lol), but I am really enjoying reading your posts these days, ZRB.

8. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

This a disgusting, shameless, self pity thread.

Stop it.

9. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I wanted to post in your thread but saying "Go back to the Hangout where you belong" would probably not have been the best response to your defense question.

CK

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I wonder the day when I can ring up some shameless attention whoring on here.

Maybe never... :)

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a shameless way to get more responses to your Rockets thread. Take your lumps like a man. ;)

12. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I'm with you on this one, Manny. I just can't bring myself to post in the Rockets forum anymore. Sure, I could be the one to start a thread about Yao's hygiene habits or Franchise's dislike for the number "6," but I don't want to be that guy. Plus, I'd be blown out of the water if I even attempted to talk X's and O's with the BBS. I tried to start a weekly attendance report last year (using my company's subscription to Sports Business Journal to the fullest) to point how much attendance sucked, but no one bothered to read my threads.

Hence, now I'm just content to post here, occasionally doctoring photos like rH. Maybe one day I'll even aspire to incur the wrath of Kagy. Who knows.

IMO, it seems to me that if you want people to post in your thread in the Rockets forum, your message has to look like this:

All the cooler people are here in the Hangout, anyway. :D

13. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Actually, usually the cool people in the Hangout are well-rounded enough to post in all forums, and are found posting in threads of all races, religions and creeds. Or something like that....hell you know what I'm sayin'!

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The Hangout rules, all the newbies stay out of our territory in here.

Back in the main forum sometimes you want to make an anonymous tip to the Home for battered Shift Keys.

I am a hangout/fantasy forum poster, The Rockets forum will open its arm wide once again when the season starts.

15. Manny Ramirez

Vescey,

That was a most "excellent" post, dude! It was also most triumphant, non-heinous, and non-bogus, as well.

HOOP & Raven,

You gotta give me a mulligan every once and a while when it comes to the shamless self-promotion!

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Well at the very least keep the music threads, coming, i've listened to some new bands, that otherwise I probably would have never heard. Which reminds me I just heard the "Air Bullard" song for the first time. Classic right up there with Dream's...:D

17. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Don't worry Manny, I've started threads that didn't pick up any activity. Unlike, say, DR OF DUNK, who could say "I hate you", and get like 60 responses. Now he's a moderator! Screw you Doc! :mad:

Seriously though, there's over 7000 registered voters on this BBS. <b>7000</b>! That's just nuts. But, dammit, I want attention to! I want people to love me! LOVE ME!

18. Buck Turgidson

Creeds suck!

19. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I find myself staying in other forums as well, mainly this one. I would post more in the Rockets forum, but I don't really have much to say. When I get home from school, there are 50 new thread, with 25 that have 50 or more replies. (Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating.) Seeing as how I have no advantage over most posters, (ie: I go to practices, I live in Houston, etc.) I really don't have much to add in most threads. If I have something to add I will, but that's getting fewer and fewer.

However, the season is coming up and with that I can give my opinions on certain things. I would be doing that now during preseason but.....I CAN'T WATCH THE GAMES! :mad: Sorry, that gets me mad that I can't see Yao, Franchise, Griff, Mobes and others.

20. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

:D