1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron- James Harden bringing Rockets together after last season's disharmony

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YOLO, Sep 20, 2016.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...hp?t=5cfb7fb18b438d9cbb&cmpid=twitter-premium

The Rockets first official practices of the season are still days away, but James Harden has seen and felt enough to believe things had changed.

That might say as much about the issues of last season as the customary hopes for the season ahead, beginning with Saturday's start of training camp. But Harden was happy to gush about the change he has already seen in attitude.

"It's not even close," Harden said of the mentality heading into camp compared to last season. "We've doing something I haven't since I've been here in Houston. Just trying to shake things up, just trying to make sure we really know each other in and out on and off the court. I think that will translate to a better team."

Optimism in the NBA when summer gives way to fall comes more reliably than a change in the weather, but Harden said last season's disharmony was "an extremely big problem."

"On any team, in any sport, if you don't have the entire team on one page, the entire team having one goal, you're not going to be successful," he said. "That's what we're trying to build here in Houston. We have several new guys we want them to come and feel like this is a great group and we're going to build this together."

Most of Harden's session at an event for BodyArmor on Monday predictably focused on his enthusiasm for the start of this season, rather than the issues that led to the Rockets slide to 41-41 and a five-game exit from the playoff's last season.

When asked by an audience member about Dwight Howard's departure, he said that his goal is to win with whatever teammates he has. But when asked about what he hopes to accomplish beginning with Saturday's first practices, he said, "To build something that I haven't had since I've been here, that's everybody on the same page, everybody in the same boat."

With that in mind, he repeatedly cited the mini-camps Rockets players held over the summer and the workouts in Houston since.

"This entire summer I thought about last season, how there was a terrible taste in my mouth," Harden said. "I wanted to come back, get the guys together. I wanted to get the guys together, in Vegas in mid-July and in Miami (last month) just to hang out. I think the better you are off the court, the better you will be on the court. Just worked out with the guys, went to a concert, had dinner with the guys. It's going to carry over to the court. This summer is really a team bonding thing."

His own summer has differed greatly from last off-season when he sprained an ankle and headed into camp needing to work himself into shape. Harden said he began the off-season training in Scottsdale before his usual summer travel and a return to workouts with teammates this month.

"I've been training all summer," Harden said. "Last season wasn't great at all. It was very disappointing. I don't want to let that happen two years in a row. I've been in the gym working out to get my mind, body and soul right."

Most Rockets players have been practicing together, but restricted free agent forward/center Donatas Motiejunas has been working out on his own. His representatives and the Rockets have been unable to come to a contract agreement.

"It's very important for him to get here as soon as possible so we can start figuring this thing out," Harden said.

The same could be said for the retooled team as a whole. Last preseason was quickly sidetracked when Harden, Howard, Motiejunas, Ty Lawson and Terrence Jones missed time with injuries.

This season, the Rockets expect to at least start at full strength, pending resolution of the contract impasse with Motiejunas.

"From top to bottom, we're excited for Saturday to get going and start a new journey," Harden said. "Training camp is long, it's draining, especially when you're eight years in. But you look at the bigger picture so everybody can be on the same page. I feel like I'm a rookie at this point."

D-rock likes this.
  2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Looks like Harden is truly becoming the leader we had all hoped for. Love it.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nice to hear, and he wants DMo back - should help all the naysayers on here understand that.

DD

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Harden's unquestioned the top dog now.

Everyone, fall in.

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Still sounds out of shape and over weight if you ask me. Probably about 30 pounds or so.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Awesome

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

8. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

he's always been a leader, watch the rockets ascend this year and the hawks descend

9. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

give me 29/7/7 with 2 steals and 38 mpg with 13.3 win shares while being out of shape and i'll take it again

10. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

i'll believe it when i see it.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

For some reason, I like that quote. Like he's giddy with hope and very appreciative of the opportunity.

12. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I'm excited for the season!

13. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

You knew the team was in trouble after 3 games last season. Given the new coach and additions, I think we know if this year is a repeat after about 10-15 games.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Soul? Soul food.

Great, thanks Harden. 50 pounds overweight this year.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Hate articles like this. Though I get they have to report something... I'd also ask that they add facts like what happened last offseason... when, injury or not, I recall there was also a California Harden sponsored team workout, and when throughout the season there were many team meetings on public proclamations of being on the same page, yada, yada.

Surely if the same stuff was happening with the Kings and DMC would be saying the same stuff, etc. it wouldn't impact anyone's thoughts on whether DMC was an actual leader, whether the Kings would be good, etc.

16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Will Parsons FedEx you his soiled panties now that he's in another state or will you have to pick them up in person?

1 person likes this.
  17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

i like what i'm reading but still cautiously optimistic.

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

*sees Harden thread*

*checks whether it's positive or negative*

*sees that it is positive*

3 pages max

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

let's hope they've been working on defensive sets. regarding all the team-bonding, they'll be taking a trip to china together, so not sure how much help going to a concert/dinner and working out a few times will end up being anyways

20. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

Haha I'll contribute to the 3 pages goal. Everyone makes mistakes, lose focus, etc... I'm just cautiously optimistic Harden turns it around as a leader and player. New season, clean slate. Let's see how everything plays out! :grin: