1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey: We want stability

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, May 29, 2015.

?

Do you believe Morey is truly valuing stability this off season?

Poll closed Jun 12, 2015.
  1. Yes, I believe him

23.6%
  2. No, it's just lip service

17.0%
  3. Maybe, but everything changes if a star becomes available

55.7%
  4. I abstain, courteously

3.7%
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

In his interview this morning on 790, Morey made some interesting comments.

Most notable was something along these lines:

We've been a team that has definitely had a good deal of turnover in years past, but that was because we weren't this good. Now we are at a phase where we are looking for stability and to build chemistry with this team.

He also pretty strongly endorsed the idea that we will operate above the cap with the MLE as our only free agent money.

So, discuss?

Also, poll question: Do you believe him that he is prioritizing "stability" this offseason or is it just lip service?

2. MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters Member

Meaning we get a pg... Hopefully Mike Conley

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

He's always said that, plus i think he eyes are on someone who isnt a free agent this year

4. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

he mentioned the word chemistry plentiful during that interview.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We don't exactly have tons of capspace to make big moves.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

yes easily believe it. morey has been working to get to a point like this, where he is a piece or two away from establishing a team that should be good enough to legitimately contend for a title. houston is right there at this point and not too far off at all.

7. photojoe

photojoe Member

Memphis is not going to trade Mike Conley.

8. justtxyank

While true, creating cap space would be relatively easy. Renouncing free agents and dumping Ariza.

Two years ago I would have said there's no doubt Morey would make those type of moves in a heartbeat. Heck, LAST year he would have done it. He was pursuing the 3 star model. Is he still pursuing it? Does he believe this "core" can win and he doesn't need to add a star?

You can't pursue a 3 star model anymore AND have stability. It's an either or thing.

9. PJ86

PJ86 Member

This is not the off-season to 'settle', we're not going to win a championship with this team. We need a big impact player and we probably have to part with some players. I'm not saying star player, forget the big 3 idea, but a starting line-up of:

Beverley, Harden, Ariza, D-Mo / Josh & Howard with Jet, Brewer & Josh / D-Mo, TJ & Capela is not going to cut it.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

"Blockbuster moves are hard to pull off, we've got a good thing going, so don't get your hopes up."

11. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

When you have James harden for three years and Dwight for two, there is a limited window. He's going all in because we are not sure when this window will close

12. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

If the rockets had Dmo and Beverly this season they would still be playing.

No reason to think if they can bring everyone back and stay healthy they can't compete.

TJones was a waste in the playoffs. I'd look to package him and Nick Johnson for a backup PG better than Prig and Terry and roll the ball out and let them play.

13. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Glad to hear it. That means these ridiculous notions of gutting the team in order to acquire Love or Aldridge are just fans and analysts speculating.

Clearly this team has holes. PG being the biggest concern. But we're not gonna acquire a superstar at that position. If we can't get a Lawson, Collison, or Lowry via trade, then we may have to draft one at #18, re-sign Bev and Terry, and roll with a 3-headed monster of sorts. Same with PF. If T-Jones and that #18 pick can't net you a PG in a trade, maybe you bring him back, re-sign Smith, and go with a 3-headed monster at that position once D-Mo is healthy again.

Obviously you leave all options on the table between now and the trade deadline next February, but I'm not entirely opposed to bringing this core back, adding a PG with the #18 pick, and signing someone(Dunleavy, maybe?) with the MLE. At the very least, we know that team would storm out of the gate in November. If the Rockets this past season with all of that overhaul and injuries could start 6-0 and 19-5, imagine what this one could do.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I hope he means it - but I have my doubts.

DD

1 person likes this.
  15. basketballholic

Stability, eh?

We'd be a whole lot more stable with a 3rd superstar that's a better overall player than Dwight.

There's your stability.

16. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

U guys r too ridiculous! Morey doesn't need u guys to tell him what he should do

17. justtxyank

Where did I tell Morey what to do? :confused:

I didn't even make a suggestion.

1 person likes this.
  18. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

I hope he means it. I just feel like we are 1 impact player away from a championship. No need to gut the team for a third star THIS YEAR ;)

19. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Just keep this team together as is another season. You won't get a lengthy fast greyhound that can weave his way and finish at the rim on a fast break along with Ariza and company... I think this team learns eachother more and they will succeed.

20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

It think he means it this year next year is when morey wants to go all out the 2016 free agency.