1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nick Johnson game 3 minutes?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joeson332, Apr 22, 2015.

Tags:
  1. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Barea has been going to work against Terry and Prigs this series, would be interesting IF coach puts NJ and let him go to work against Barea during the 2nd quarter try to slow down his rythym. This Rondo news might be good for them.

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Barea was about the only good thing going for the Mavs in game 2. We need to contain him.

3. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Don't fix what isn't broken

4. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Barea working kind of needs to be fixed.

5. Voltik

Voltik Member

Answer: 0

Terry and Pringles provide so much more that unless both of them get torched, we won't see Nick in the game. We already have Brewer, Howard, and Smith dunking...don't need the defense to collapse the paint with NJ on the outside. Terry and Prig keep the defense honest and leaves other guys to drive and dish and dunk.

6. marky :)

marky :) Member

No team should change their substitution/defensive scheme for J.J, unless you're playing against JJ Watt.

7. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

So you never want the chance to improve.

We are going to have to play Johnson sometime in the playoffs, we can't beat guys like Curry, CP3, Parker and hopefully Irving without a defensive minded PG.

Also pray for Beverly's health.

8. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Why put Nick on Barea? If we need to put a non point guard on him, we can use Ariza or Brewer.

And anyway, Barea had 13 points on 14 shots(+2ft), and 4 turnovers. What's to contain?

#8 WinkFan, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  9. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Barea was ok they were still -5 with him on the floor and he was 5-14 shooting. Not too worried about him going off.

With all the injuries you can pretty much stick a fork in the Mavs. Hope for a sweep and rest up for war with SA or LA.

10. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Two wins . . . do not F with . . .

11. SemisolidSnake

Johnson may be young and more energetic than a power plant, but is he a solid enough defender to actually guard all the people everyone says he should guard? Legit question; I don't know. Seems to me, though, it'd be better just to study Barea, adjust to contain him, and then proceed in the same manner as last night's fourth quarter.

Terry's knocking down threes and hustling like a player years younger. Prigioni is quiet, but he's damn smart on the court and makes a lot of things happen. Nick Johnson would have to be lockdown defender to justify plopping him in.

12. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

None more minutes, if you want to see a rookie play please see Capela.

JJ cannot beat this team on his own, not worried about him. If things get rough let brewer knock him down a peg.

13. YallMean

YallMean Member

I am all for 5 - 6 min
    of him being the victory cigar :)

14. LandryMegaBeast

JJ Barea will play as much as he did in game 2. we contained him then, im sure we can contain him as the starter. He was getting a lot of those points when dwight wasnt controlling the paint

15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Barea was 5-14 in game 2. Sure he can get around Terry still and all but lets not make him to be Steph Curry lite here.

Bigger concern is if Nick is in the game - Carlisle will play him like we played Rondo -- meaning not have to worry about him on offense. Nick is just not a threat to score from the outside, hasn't shown much at the NBA level in terms of running a pick and roll and so forth. The offense will lose the spacing it has right now for Harden and Dwight.

I like Nick a lot and I think he is going to have a nice NBA career but there is still a lot he is going to have to learn and get better at if he is to get meaningful minutes in the playoffs his rookie year. The minutes he got this year because of injuries have helped his development but I feel like he is probably a good offseason under the Rockets staff and some more time in the D-league from being that guy.

16. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

I noticed the same thing. Whenever he hits a shot it FEELS like he's doing more than he really is. I was surprised to look at the box score and notice how little he contributed. I'm fine with us maintaining the status quo. Prigs and Terry can't stay in front of him but they both contribute on offense, Terry with his lights out three point shooting and Prigs with his steady hand and calming influence.

If either of the old guys stop contributing on offense while getting torched we can't try out Nick but based on what I've seen so far, no reason to rock the boat.

17. Play07

Play07 Member

bare is a +19 going into the 4th, highest out of any macs player, put him NICK in there when bare in

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i want to see nick get minutes over prigioni, who has been a big negative this game overall

19. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Nick Johnson should def get time. These pgs own us.

20. clos4life

clos4life Member

I like Nick but now is not the time to disrupt things.