1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Thanks Clutch.

This was always the rumor and was always the case.

Morey is not that stupid to let Parsons out without 100% certainty he is coming back.

F Fegan

Having said that, when Dwight mentioned in one of the interviews something along the lines of teammates having their own agenda, was he referring to Parsons?

#2 FTW Rockets FTW, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  3. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Thanks for the update Clutch

4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Anti-Morey brigade will still somehow hold it against him.

Bring in Dwight and risk losing Parsons > probably no Dwight and 1 more year of cheap Parsons

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

See, this is why I don't want Rubio; no more Fegan!

6. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Yeah, it was known, no matter how much they denied it. But, it's good to finally get some clarification.

7. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

8. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

Great post. I can't believe I was arguing with people about this when it was so obvious. Anyone that knew the facts could see this.

9. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

Maaaan. Can't Rockets get in trouble for making under the table agreements like this.

I was fine with it being speculation but if there is anyway to prove this and stick it to the Rockets you know Mark Cuban will.

10. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Clutch,

Any idea what would have happened if they didn't make Parsons a RFA? Dwight wanted to be here so I don't think he'd be too upset if they decided to pick up his option and keep the team intact. Would Fegan just never do business with Houston again? Seems like he wasn't too happy that Dwight preferred Houston over his buddy Cuban.

11. afk

afk Member

Conspiracy revealed! At least it wasn't Illuminati.

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Great article, Clutch! Way to compile all the circumstantial evidence into one convenient place!

I guess this (mostly?) substantiates my firmly-held theory on the subject (from my rant upon learning that the Rockets were not going to match Parsons's offer sheet):

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Can't substantiate this, but I *HAVE* to believe letting Parsons out of his deal a year early was a Dan Fegan condition to getting Dwight...</p>&mdash; David Weiner (@BimaThug) <a href="https://twitter.com/BimaThug/status/488448699207401474">July 13, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>...From a CAP standpoint, the decision (which didn't need to be made until June 30) made little sense...</p>&mdash; David Weiner (@BimaThug) <a href="https://twitter.com/BimaThug/status/488448993643360256">July 13, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>...By June 30, Rockets had good enough idea of market for Parson ($12-14M range) to see this coming *before* declining option...</p>&mdash; David Weiner (@BimaThug) <a href="https://twitter.com/BimaThug/status/488449181426544641">July 13, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>...Daryl Morey &amp; Co. are smart, shrewd navigators of the cap. They are not stupid. I cannot fathom a world in which my theory is untrue.</p>&mdash; David Weiner (@BimaThug) <a href="https://twitter.com/BimaThug/status/488449627587244032">July 13, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>/end rant/</p>&mdash; David Weiner (@BimaThug) <a href="https://twitter.com/BimaThug/status/488449677906300928">July 13, 2014</a></blockquote>

In the articles I previously wrote about Parsons's contract and the cap implications of exercising versus declining his team option, I purposely elected not to interject my own personal view on what the Rockets should do, instead merely seeking to educate others on the intricacies of the contract and to let others make up their own minds on what they think would be the best course of action for the Rockets to take.

However, my personal view had always been that the Rockets would be best served by picking up the team option (unrestricted free agency be damned!) and that only the rarest set of circumstances would dictate otherwise.

While, in hindsight, I maybe should have seen the election NOT to match coming (I had repeatedly said that the Rockets WOULD match any offer), my suspicions about why Parsons would be let out of his contract early always led me back to the same (most likely) root cause: a promise to Dan Fegan in order to get Dwight Howard in free agency.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Thanks for the read. Clutch I'm wondering if you've heard anything similar, but I have an associate who is very close to Chandler and the organization who says that the Rockets intended to match the max offer however Parsons made it known to them that he would not be "professional" if he was forced to come back. It was made very clear that the team wanted him back but he wanted no part of it and they let him go. It falls right in line with a lot of the scorned comments that Parsons was making afterward.

14. jacoby

jacoby Member

Morey shouldn't have even bothered with Fegan. If Dwight wants to sign with Houston then everything ends there.

Then again, maybe Morey was worried Fegan would steer his other clients away from Houston in future negotiations.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Crazy (but completely believable) that he would act like that much of a baby after getting that much money. Glad we didn't match.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That is what I want to know too.

17. Remlap

Remlap Member

That's okay. Here's a great graphic on comparisons of Ariza and Parsons VS top SF's in the league.
    We got a bargain - Similar offensive capabilities and more defensive pressure for 1/2 the price.
    Especially when you compare the 2 against Durant. Ariza shuts down KD while Parsons gives up MORE than KD's average.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yeah, that is a matter of concern no doubt.

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I didn't want him matched before I was given this information and I certainly feel the same way. He's rubbed a couple people, at a minimum, the wrong way after this situation.

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

If a Parsons for Ariza swap (at half the cost) is what it took to land Dwight, I'm more than okay with it.