1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A story about someone else meeting Clyde THE GLIDE Drexler

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Panda23, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Panda23

Panda23 Member

'I was in the 5th grade and it was right after the month of Ramadan. After fasting for about 30 days there is a 3 day holiday called Eid. The first day of Eid, my family usually goes to a mass prayer (at George R. Brown Convention Center) and then takes the children out to eat followed by a fun activity.

That year it was a weekday and my parents/uncles/aunts took my brother, sister, cousins, and myself to Exelerama at Memorial City Mall.. It had a huge yellow sign and it was located in the food court. I was walking in with my Mom so excited to play video games, laser tag and the 3-D arcade game where you wear the screen and physically turn to control you player. Then I see someone that I recognize, I did the double take with my mouth dropped.

This guy then waived at me with an awkward smile on his face. It was Clyde Drexler, really Clyde the Glide Drexler!! I didn't know what to do. My hero was right there....waiving at me. At that moment, I could care less about the laser tag or the 3-D video game, I just wanted to meet CLYDE THE GLIDE DREXLER. So I reluctantly walk up to him and asked him what he was doing here. He very nicely told me that he liked to come here during the weekdays in order to have fun without all the attention (hint, hint).

Ignoring his statement, I ran to my mom, asked her for money to go to the rockets store (next door) to by a hat for an autograph. So I get the hat and ask him to sign. At the time he was playing an arcade game, stopped mid game and signed the hat. I was thinking, well **** this opportunity is way to good to stop here. So I went to the front clerk and asked for a piece of paper and pen in order to get an autograph from CLYDE THE GLIDE DREXLER! She made a deal with me. "I will give you a paper and pen if you get an autograph for me as well." I happily agreed. So I go back to him and ask him for two more autographs. He gives me a friendly smirk and tells me I usually only give one autograph per person but I will do this for you. I'm just ballin at this point. I feel like I just won the lottery. I have Clyde Drexler all to my self. So I get the autographs and give one to the clerk. At this point my mom told me not to bother him anymore and for me to play video games, I reluctantly agreed.

After a couple of hours, CLYDE THE GLIDE DREXLER approached me. He said that he had a few game vouchers that he wasn't going to use and gave them to me. It was literally a stack of about 100 laser tag tickets!!! At the time the laser tag was about $2-$2.50 a pop. After that day I went back almost every weekend and had a time of my life playing laser tag and telling people my story. It has been many years now, but I will never forget the time when I met CLYDE The GLIDE DREXLER.'

just thought it was a nice story about our favourite Rockets broadcaster ;)

http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/2bylc9/a_story_about_meeting_clyde_drexler/

3 people like this.
  2. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

cool story bro.

i actually meant that.

3. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Good stuff. Glad he was a nice guy in person, you don't get that too often

4. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

This story is filled with Coolness just like the Glyde............./\.............:cool:

#4 djperm, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Hmm my story about Clyde Drexler is not as wonderful.

I remember being a child waiting in line to play laser tag on my birthday. My grandma took me and as a gift bought me 100 laser tag tickets. While I waited in line I heard a familiar voice say "Hey fatty, ugly fat kids don't deserve to play laser tag." I looked and immediately put the voice to a face, it was Clyde Drexler. Shocked I pissed my white pants and heard Drexler call me a "lard ass." I began crying and Drexler responded by ripping my laser tag tickets out of my hand. He said stealing my tickets was as easy as clubbing a baby seal. I protested and told him it was my birthday. He said he didn't even like laser tag but would give the tickets to a skinny Muslim kid.

I developed a fear of clubbing seals and urinary incontinence since that day.

Screw off Clyde.

1 person likes this.
  6. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

first positive reddit rockets post ever?

7. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

Moral of story, Clyde loves Jews, and hates Muslims?

8. Panda23

Panda23 Member

just dont go into any James "Literally Hitler" Harden threads.

9. Nook

Nook Member

No! Loves Muslims and hates Christians!

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You'd think someone who went so often would know how to spell the name of the place..

11. haydenfisher342

hehe, a consummate professional

12. Exiled

Exiled Member

Nice , happy Eid as well

13. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Indeed. I'm glad he retired a Rocket. :cool:

14. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

I wrote this myself about 4 years ago on the clutch fans forum. Some ****ing ******* must have swiped my story. I'm trying to find it but can't look that far.

1 person likes this.
  15. ross84

You ******* Panda23. If someone can check my post history. You will see the he stole my story. That's ****ed up because that story meant a lot to me.

16. ross84

I don't know if I should be upset or I should take this as a complement.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Bro, spell it correctly before Swoly gets here :p
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=201495

1 person likes this.
  18. ross84

19. Nook

Nook Member

LMFAO

20. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

Here is my story from back in the day....

'I was in the 5th grade and it was right after the month of Ramadan. After fasting for about 30 days there is a 3 day holiday called Eid. The first day of Eid, my family usually goes to a mass prayer (at George R. Brown Convention Center) and then takes the children out to eat followed by a fun activity.

That year it was a weekday and my parents/uncles/aunts took my brother, sister, cousins, and myself to Exelerama at Memorial City Mall.. It had a huge yellow sign and it was located in the food court. I was walking in with my Mom so excited to play video games, laser tag and the 3-D arcade game where you wear the screen and physically turn to control you player. Then I see someone that I recognize, I did the double take with my mouth dropped.

This guy then waived at me with an awkward smile on his face. It was Clyde Drexler, really Clyde the Glide Drexler!! I didn't know what to do. My hero was right there....waiving at me. At that moment, I could care less about the laser tag or the 3-D video game, I just wanted to meet CLYDE THE GLIDE DREXLER. So I reluctantly walk up to him and asked him what he was doing here. He very nicely told me that he liked to come here during the weekdays in order to have fun without all the attention (hint, hint).

Ignoring his statement, I ran to my mom, asked her for money to go to the rockets store (next door) to by a hat for an autograph. So I get the hat and ask him to sign. At the time he was playing an arcade game, stopped mid game and signed the hat. I was thinking, well **** this opportunity is way to good to stop here. So I went to the front clerk and asked for a piece of paper and pen in order to get an autograph from CLYDE THE GLIDE DREXLER! She made a deal with me. "I will give you a paper and pen if you get an autograph for me as well." I happily agreed. So I go back to him and ask him for two more autographs. He gives me a friendly smirk and tells me I usually only give one autograph per person but I will do this for you. I'm just ballin at this point. I feel like I just won the lottery. I have Clyde Drexler all to my self. So I get the autographs and give one to the clerk. At this point my mom told me not to bother him anymore and for me to play video games, I reluctantly agreed.

After a couple of hours, CLYDE THE GLIDE DREXLER approached me. He said that he had a few game vouchers that he wasn't going to use and gave them to me. It was literally a stack of about 100 laser tag tickets!!! At the time the laser tag was about $2-$2.50 a pop. After that day I went back almost every weekend and had a time of my life playing laser tag and telling people my story. It has been many years now, but I will never forget the time when I met CLYDE The GLIDE DREXLER.'

just thought it was a nice story about our favourite Rockets broadcaster

1 person likes this.