1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Childhood Euphoria

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ross84, Feb 26, 2011.

1. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

I don't know why I am making this thread, but wanted to share an awesome experience I had about 15 years ago.

I was in the 5th grade and it was right after the month of ramadan. After fasting for about 30 days there is a 3 day holiday called eid. The first day of eid, my family usually goes to a mass prayer (at George R. Brown Convention Center) and then takes the children out to eat followed by a fun activity. That year it was a weekday and my parents/uncles/aunts took my brother, sister, cousins, and myself to Exelerama at Memorial City Mall. I'm sure you guys remember this place. It had a huge yellow sign and it was located in the food court. I was walking in with my Mom so excited to play video games, laser tag and the 3-D arcade game where you wear the screen and physically turn to control you player. Then I see someone that I recognize, I did the double take with my mouth dropped. This guy then waived at me with an awkward smile on his face. It was Clyde Drexler, really Clyde the Glide Drexler!! I didn't know what to do. My hero was right there....waiving at me. At that moment, I could care less about the laser tag or the 3-D video game, I just wanted to meet CLYDE THE GLIDE DREXLER. So I reluctantly walk up to him and asked him what he was doing here. He very nicely told me that he liked to come here during the weekdays in order to have fun without all the attention (hint, hint). Ignoring his statement, I ran to my mom, asked her for money to go to the rockets store (next door) to by a hat for an autograph. So I get the hat and ask him to sign. At the time he was playing an arcade game, stopped mid game and signed the hat. I was thinking, well **** this opportunity is way to good to stop here. So I went to the front clerk and asked for a piece of paper and pen in order to get an autograph from CLYDE THE GLIDE DREXLER! She made a deal with me. "I will give you a paper and pen if you get an autograph for me as well." I happily agreed. So I go back to him and ask him for two more autographs. He gives me a friendly smirk and tells me I usually only give one autograph per person but I will do this for you. I'm just ballin at this point. I feel like I just won the lottery. I have Clyde Drexler all to my self. So I get the autographs and give one to the clerk. At this point my mom told me not to bother him anymore and for me to play video games, I reluctantly agreed. After a couple of hours, CLYDE THE GLIDE DREXLER approached me!!!! He said that he had a few game vouchers that he wasn't going to use and gave them to me. It was literally a stack of about 100 laser tag tickets!!! At the time the laser tag was about $2-$2.50 a pop. After that day I went back almost every weekend and had a time of my life playing laser tag and telling people my story. It has been many years now, but I will never forget the time when I met CLYDE The GLIDE DREXLER.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Very nice story.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Well, jeez, now I feel like a turd for making fun of him during his broadcasts.

4. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

way to go clyde. classy dude.

5. ross84

No, I think you should still make fun of him :)

He opened it up with the "like clubbing baby seals" comment.

6. ross84

Thanks

7. ross84

Yeah, he was very nice. It just reminds me how important it is for these stars to act with class. There are so many children looking up to them and wanting to be just like them. There shouldn't be any room for Gilbert Arenas characters.

8. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

This one time Bill Worrel was at my house. I..don't want to talk about it.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

BTW, why is this in D&D?

10. ross84

Yeah, I'm sorry. I wanted to first post in in the hangout but accidentally posted here. Please, delete it if you can.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

"Hyeh, hyeh, hyeh, it just keeps gettin' better for dat little muslim kid!"

12. bloop

bloop Member

lol because he mentions Ramadan. look out here comes the ideologues storming the thread.

seriously though, that's an awesome story.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Kids fast during Ramadan?

Isn't that starving?

14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Child abuse?

15. ross84

Lol, I was never forced to fast. I did it by choice. My parents were completely okay with that. Believe it or not it was much easier to do when I was a kid compared to know.