1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Will The Rockets End Up Worse?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Visagial, Jul 10, 2014.

?

Will the Rockets get better or worse this offseason?

1. Better

121 vote(s)
    39.7%
  2. Worse

184 vote(s)
    60.3%
  1. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

Lost in all of this free agency excitement is the possibility that we could actually be worse next year. If we don't get Melo or Bosh and don't match Parsons, we'll have lost Parsons, Asik, and potentially Lin (although he's not likely to be traded if we don't need the cap room). Say what you want about Lin, but these three guys are among our top 6 or 7 players and they'll be gone.

Even if we match Parsons, we'll have the same team as last year minus arguably the best backup center in the league and an above average backup PG.

I don't see equal replacements for them on the market that we can afford, particularly not all 3 of them.

What do you think? Will the Rockets actually end up in a poorer spot this year than last?

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I don't think anybody has forgot about this possibility. It's very real.

3. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

We'll all learn and grow from this experience. No matter what happens, we'll be better.

1 person likes this.
  4. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

If anything we just lose parsons and keep everybody, sign some free agent. Trade Asik and Lin during the allstar break for something of value and then go deep in the playoffs!:grin:

#4 danoman, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  5. jacoby

jacoby Member

What's worse than a first round exit to a clearly inferior team?

Ouch.

6. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

it's unfortunate, but i have a feeling we're going to get the short end of the straw out of all of this.

In the end, we have a strong team, thats for sure. with the potential to perform better than we did last year. Don't forget our record should have been a lot better due to new team chemistry mistakes. So i don't think we'll have a worse record or anything. We did a lot of the season with a half a$$ asik or missing completely, Lin didn't do much, and we could possibly have parsons back. So we aren't losing out a stupid amount.

but it does look like our roster is heading toward disappoint compared to last season.

7. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Nah, I doubt it.

8. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I think it's very very likely we end up worse on paper this year... wonder how Howard after signing here will feel about this

9. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Asik deal hasnt even gone through yet.

10. ksny15

ksny15 Member

We will have a GLARING whole at the SF position, No back up center for Dwight (Asik) isn't easily replaceable

11. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

We'll get Deng or Ariza on a short contract worst case. Parsons isn't irreplacable, I'm not overly concerned.

Still hoping we get Bosh

12. split41

split41 Member

I think this is a very real reality. There's only one way to come up on top - sign bosh and parsons.

If we miss out on Bosh and sign Parsons, we'll be worse off with his albatross contract with a player option (Morey's nightmare)!

80% chance we'll be in a worse position.

10-20 % chance everything works out.

25.7% chance my percentages are purely arbitrary

I think Morey ****ed up with Parsons and now we're paying for it.

13. puppytigers

puppytigers Member

If we don't land our 3rd star, then yes, it's hard to see how we end up better. We would have lost our 3rd, 4th, and 5th best players for nothing in return, not even a pick since the Pelicans' pick is supposedly going to be packaged with Lin to Philly.

14. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Who says they will even want to come here?

15. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

errrmagerrrrd. Lrrrrkerrrrt, thr skrrr ers farlerrng!

16. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

We won a lot of games without asik though. and a lot of the games he did play, he wasn't a huge impact. Some games yes, but for the most part we managed without him. I'm sure we can look out for someone else who can hold their own while dwight is sitting.

17. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

You guys realize without Lin and Parsons, Harden gotta do all the ball handling right? Expect 7 TO a night.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Scenario 1) We sign Bosh, match Parsons.
    Scenario 2) We sign Bosh, don't match Parsons
    Scenario 3) We miss on Bosh, match Parsons
    Scenario 4) We miss on Bosh, don't match Parsons

1) Clear better
    2) Somewhat better
    3) Even
    4) Depends on who we can get with what cap room we then have available.

19. langal

langal Contributing Member

Beating a dead horse here, but I think getting a new coach could have given us some hopeful optimism without all this drama.

1 person likes this.
  20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'm not prepared to be a worse team than last season. If we don't get better, then I'm seriously thinking about canceling NBA League Pass and will stop watching Rockets games. I just can't handle another wasted season with just enough star talent to make the playoffs but exit the first round. We know the Harden/Howard combination isn't good enough without another star player to take the heat off of them. If we don't get that, then it's just another wasted season and a waste of having Harden and Howard. I've had enough of that. I had enough of that with McGrady and Ming. Before that, I had enough of that with Francis and Ming. Now, we get to do it all over again with Harden and Howard? Screw that.