1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rival GM: Morey is delusional

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YourSecretLover, Nov 29, 2013.

1. YourSecretLover

Ken Berger reports that "Omer Asik, Houston's disgruntled center, has been unhappy with his role since the Rockets landed Dwight Howard, and the situation isn't going to get any better. After playing four minutes at Philadelphia on Nov. 13 and riding the bench against the Knicks on Nov. 14, Asik finally logged 20-plus minutes in back-to-back games this week for the first time since early November. The limiting factor, of course, is that while Asik counts only $8.4 million against the cap/tax, his actual salary next season is $15 million. Given those constraints and Asik's sad-sack demeanor, one rival GM described the Rockets as "delusional" as far as their asking price for him"

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer...-friday-shopping-list-top-10-trade-candidates

My money is on Cuban

2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I wonder if this is the same rival GM that thought Rockets could never:

1. Get Harden
    2. Get Howard
    3. Rebuild in 2-3 years without a top 5 lottery pick

GM's just jelly IMO

3. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

I don't get why GMs would care that Asik got paid 15m in the last year in his deal. It still only counts as 8.3M against the cap.

4. PatBeverleyFan

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

No he's not. We hardly get any value in return other than that harden deal.

6. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Man I am really excited what we'll get with Asik.

7. NotChandlerParsons

Cheap ass owners.

8. Chris Jent MVP

As long as the Rockets are winning, they can ask a high price. Even if nobody accepts the price, Asik is producing on this team and is expected to continue to do so.

Morey's "asking price" is also the same as Asik's "market value" - therefore it is in Asiks own interest to play as efficiently as possible and pump up his value. Win-win for Rockets and Asik.

9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I'm going to assume Morey was asking for an unprotected 2014 lottery pick or an all-star in the package for the offers to elicit this type of reaction from a GM.

That or the GM is salty, like Cuban.

10. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

15 million dollars is a lot of money.

11. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Who cares? We're playing extremely well right now. Take it or leave it approach is the way to go.

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Asik has plenty of high value left

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Same thing other GMs said a about deals around the time tmac and harden were traded.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is pretty much how Morey operates. The other GMs will blink first, they usually do at least.

15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I am guessing you will be fine with spotting 7.7M to these GM's when they have to write a check of $15 mil? After all, only 8.3M counts right? :roll eyes:

Is Asik worth $15M, not at all. He is worth $10M at most. However, Asik the player is still worth a ton of money after his existing contract is up as he is a consistent double-double in this league, which is actually pretty rare.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Maybe they live in the real world.

17. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Just GM's trying to get a deal on Asik

See.. the Rockets DON'T NEED to trade Asik. I'm happy having nothing in return for him and have him sit on our bench IF worst comes to worst (then trade him in a bad deal).. Just for the slight possibility that Howard gets injured, we would still have a legit backup that could maintain our contendency in playoffs

However I would trade Asik if we got high value on return.

I think Morey (no matter what other GMs say or think, their reasons they come up of why we shouldnt ask much) should just sit on trading Asik until his 'high demands' are met. The team is doing good, if we sucked and needed immediate help I'd trade him for lower assets but not now.

18. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

There are some very stingy owners out there. Not everyone has Alexander an owner.

19. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

All the management needs to do is have Asik play solid until a trade happens. He is still very valuable no matter what some think.

20. awc713

awc713 Member

if morey is delusional, the other GMs are r****ded