ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Look who's back: Rockets sign Trevor Ariza to a four-year, $32M deal

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

[ClutchFans] As Howard sacrifices minutes for wins, Bryant cripples Lakers’ future
Tags:  basketball, clutchfans, dwight howard, houston rockets, kobe bryant, nba Tags
The Cat is offline Old 11-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
The Cat
Contributing Member
The Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jan 2000
Member: #1090
New column on what we learned from yesterday about Dwight and Kobe:

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/5493/d...lakers-future/

Sponsored Link
A New Age is offline Old 11-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
A New Age
Contributing Member
A New Age is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Aug 2013
Member: #56246
nice article, good argument. thanks for posting that!

HTown_TMac is offline Old 11-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
HTown_TMac
HTown_TMac is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodHTown_TMac is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: May 2006
Member: #18002
I missed the game Monday. This is good to hear.

sirbaihu is offline Old 11-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
sirbaihu
sirbaihu is Omer Asik -- working the boardssirbaihu is Omer Asik -- working the boardssirbaihu is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Nov 2006
Member: #20368
Love it. Well said. Howard deserves appreciation for his team spirit. He's been anything but a prima donna.

Getting some rest now will save him for the playoffs, by the way.

coachbadlee is offline Old 11-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
coachbadlee
Rookie
coachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Feb 2010
Member: #45147
Nice article.

Hey Texans!!! Keep #1. Draft Barr!!!
"Are you kidding me??!! That's your point guard!!" Matt Bullard

Doppleganger is offline Old 11-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
Doppleganger
Rookie
Doppleganger is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodDoppleganger is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jan 2013
Member: #54425
Kobe may not be good for the Lakers future, but he's still their identity, and that matters more than being a contender (at least for now).

KillScarz is offline Old 11-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
KillScarz
KillScarz is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Dec 2011
Member: #50054
Great way of looking at it. Definitely puts an emphasis on Nelly going on ESPN saying nobody wants to play with Kobe. He doesn't share the ball, or the money!

jacoby is offline Old 11-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
jacoby
jacoby is Omer Asik -- working the boardsjacoby is Omer Asik -- working the boardsjacoby is Omer Asik -- working the boardsjacoby is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jun 2011
Member: #49305
Well written, but I wouldn't be calling Bryant "selfish" for getting his money. According to Woj, he signed the first offer he received - $48 million for 2 years. The Lakers bid amongst themselves and 'won'. They hang on to their holy cash cow for 3 more seasons.

The Lakers shot themselves in the foot. Kobe was just the fortunate recipient of Mitch's incompetence.

yummyhawtsauce is offline Old 11-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
yummyhawtsauce
Rookie
yummyhawtsauce is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodyummyhawtsauce is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Oct 2013
Member: #56513
Good article, maybe Asik might be more motivated and play for the team too, seeing that everyone is getting a chance to play.

"money isn't everything, a torn acl (or 2 in this case) affects your ability to live a normal life, let alone play at the highest level of pro basketball that he's worked for his entire life. What if you broke your arm and couldn't continue your career flipping burgers" - DL24

J Sizzle is offline Old 11-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
J Sizzle
J Sizzle is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJ Sizzle is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJ Sizzle is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJ Sizzle is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJ Sizzle is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJ Sizzle is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJ Sizzle is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Feb 2012
Member: #50387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Kobe may not be good for the Lakers future, but he's still their identity, and that matters more than being a contender (at least for now).
These are the kinds of things that forward-thinking franchises would never say. Since when are championships not the primary goal?

vlaurelio is offline Old 11-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #11
vlaurelio
Contributing Member
vlaurelio is James Harden -- racking up the pointsvlaurelio is James Harden -- racking up the pointsvlaurelio is James Harden -- racking up the pointsvlaurelio is James Harden -- racking up the pointsvlaurelio is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Jan 2005
Member: #16082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
yeah overpaying IS their identity

The Cat is offline Old 11-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #12
The Cat
Contributing Member
The Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jan 2000
Member: #1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoby View Post
Well written, but I wouldn't be calling Bryant "selfish" for getting his money. According to Woj, he signed the first offer he received - $48 million for 2 years. The Lakers bid amongst themselves and 'won'. They hang on to their holy cash cow for 3 more seasons.

The Lakers shot themselves in the foot. Kobe was just the fortunate recipient of Mitch's incompetence.
Kobe is a VERY smart guy. He knows exactly what the salary cap is, and what a $24 mil/year contract does to it. Just because it's technically the "first offer he received" doesn't mean he's helpless. He had every opportunity to talk with the organization over the past few months and map out a plan. His analysis:

Quote:
“I’m not taking any at all – that’s the negotiation that you have to have.” Kobe Bryant told Lakers Nation in an exclusive interview at his Kobe Basketball Academy on Wednesday. “For me to sit here and say, ‘Oh yeah, I’m just going to take a huge pay cut. Nah, I’m going to try to get as much as I possibly can.”
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...125531553.html

It's about status. As he said, he wants to get as much as he possibly can. In this case, it cements his glamour status as the league's most expensive player. Is it selfish? Depends on how you define the word and the context. But considering that Kobe publicly and privately called Dwight out and talked about how he could teach him how to win championships... I'd say it's both selfish and hypocritical.

WNBA is offline Old 11-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
WNBA
WNBA is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodWNBA is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #5973
The $20.5M guy is happy for playing less?
or the team won because the $20.5M guy played less?

don't see positive in either.

Juxtaposed Jolt is offline Old 11-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #14
Juxtaposed Jolt
Juxtaposed Jolt is James Harden -- racking up the pointsJuxtaposed Jolt is James Harden -- racking up the pointsJuxtaposed Jolt is James Harden -- racking up the pointsJuxtaposed Jolt is James Harden -- racking up the pointsJuxtaposed Jolt is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Apr 2010
Member: #46001
I wonder if First Take had anything to say about Kobe's contract.

Jake Tower is offline Old 11-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #15
Jake Tower
Jake Tower is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodJake Tower is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Dec 2012
Member: #53432

DarkRock is offline Old 11-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #16
DarkRock
Rookie
DarkRock is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2013
Member: #57003
Financially the Lakers Franchise is good by keeping the Kobe Bryant name and brand but they will live in mediocrity for the next 2 years with many more years to come. That's the reason why more and more Lakers fans hate Kobe now because he is stopping their rebuilding progress to be a championship caliber team.

Many Lakers fans were hoping that Kobe will accept a $15m per year deal so that they can sign another star with the spare millions. That was never going to happen.

Raven is offline Old 11-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #17
Raven
Raven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #6153
Howard's a diva, but a maturing one. I suspect he knows the media is just waiting for any chance to smear him, so he's doing everything he can to fit in. So far, I think he's been awesome, but my expectations were realistic from the beginning about what he would bring to the table.

And isn't 10-5 a nice record for Nov? Sure, it could be better, but on a transitioning team, with a roster in flux, I think we should be quite happy with 10-5.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...sg=T+E+X+A+N+S

Doppleganger is offline Old 11-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #18
Doppleganger
Rookie
Doppleganger is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodDoppleganger is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jan 2013
Member: #54425
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Sizzle View Post
These are the kinds of things that forward-thinking franchises would never say. Since when are championships not the primary goal?
I think they're just paying tribute to the man who won them so many.

RocketDonut is offline Old 11-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #19
RocketDonut
Contributing Member
RocketDonut is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineRocketDonut is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineRocketDonut is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jan 2010
Member: #44805

crose is offline Old 11-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #20
crose
Contributing Member
crose is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finecrose is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Feb 2005
Member: #16095
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNBA View Post
The $20.5M guy is happy for playing less?
or the team won because the $20.5M guy played less?

don't see positive in either.
The 20.5 million guy is happy that his team won no matter how it happened.