1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DeShawn Stevenson?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikeyharris, Aug 3, 2013.

1. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Atlanta Hawks have waived DeShawn Stevenson. The move is reportedly to clear space for signing DeMarre Carroll.</p>&mdash; Brett Poirier NBA (@BrettNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/BrettNBA/statuses/363407435874050048">August 2, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He's a very good perimeter defender, which is something we have a lack of. Wouldn't mind signing him for the vet min.

2. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Yes, it's a good idea, we should waive Harden to sign Stevenson

3. Ghettostar85

Ghettostar85 Member

I heard that kirk snider is available...

4. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

He's a perimeter defender and a 3pt shooter. And a veteran.

Wouldn't mind picking him up, but I think the roster is set.

Lin
    Harden
    Parsons
    Motiejunas
    Dwight
    Asik
    Beverley
    Jones
    Garcia
    Casspi
    Brooks
    Smith
    Covington

That should be the active 13 man roster, with Canaan and one of the Training Camp young guys in the D-League.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hell no... HELL NO...

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Exceptionally ignorant post.

Stevens has been a very good defensive 2 guard with the ability to hit the 3 at a very good percentage. He played a very important defensive role as the Mavs best wing defender when they won the Championship 2 years ago.

He is 32 and a vet that played a key role on a championship team. He would probably be ideal as a 10 to 15 minute a game back up to James Harden. Solid defense and a reliable 3 point shot (although a bit streaky).

D12, Harden and Stevens would give us three players that played key roles to getting their teams to a championship series. Having that many proven players on your team is never a bad thing when the play-offs role around.

If he clears waivers I would not mind at all if DM offered him a vet minimum contract.

Lin / Bev / Canaan / AB
    Harden / Stevenson / Williams / BJ Young
    CP25 / Garcia / Casspi / Covington
    TJones / DMo / Smith
    D12 / Asik / Camby / Henriquez

That is 19 players to bring into camp with room for one more camp signing to get the training camp roster up to 20. Young, Henriquez and Covington are all likely to be cut and resigned by RGV. I doubt AB gets cut so that leaves the last roster spot to be a competition between Williams, Casspi, Stevenson and whoever the last camp invite is. My money would be on Stevonsen winning that contest.

#6 crash5179, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

8. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Maybe we should sign Tmac because he had been all-star .

Yes, Stevens has been a very good defensive, but it was 2 years ago, but now how about it?
    If he can still play, Atlanta Hawks wouldn't have waived him because Atlanta needs also perimeter defender

9. Classic

Classic Member

The only thing he'd bring to this team are cool hand symbols and we've got harden already for that

[​IMG]

10. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

I forgot Camby smh. Put him where Covington is and put Covington with Canaan in the D-League.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yes, pick him up after he got waived for somebody that we already waived. Great idea.

12. crash5179

That's what training camp and preseason are for. You think Reggie Williams is better? He hasn't been, especially on defense. And you bring TMac into the conversation, really? We're talking about signing someone to essentially challenge Reggie Williams for the last roster spot that can come off of the bench and provide 10 to 15 quality minutes by playing defense and hitting the occasional 3pt shot.

Has Reggie Williams ever played defense? The next time Reggie plays defense may very well be the 1st time Reggie has ever played defense.

We're talking about bringing in a proven defensive wing that has been a key role (just 2 seasons ago) player on a championship team. Tracy McGrady has been washed up for more than 2 years due to injuries and has never played a key role in a play-off series win let alone an NBA championship.

There is absolutely nothing to lose by signing Stevensen to the same type of contract that the Rockets signed Williams to. Let them play it out on the court on training camp and preseason and cut the loser. My money would be on Stevensen. But that's just my opinion.

13. crash5179

And good defense at the 2 spot, which we currently have none of.

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

Would have to make a rule that him and jones couldn't go out drinking together....

1 person likes this.
  15. CCorn

CCorn Member

16. crash5179

Covington, Young and Henriquez are all almost guaranteed to be cut and resigned by RGV providing another NBA team does not claim them after they are cut by the Rockets. I suspect Canaan will also be assigned to D-league although there is no way the Rockets cut him.

17. crash5179

He was 20 and that was over a decade ago. No excuse but its ancient news.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We could fit him on the team without loosing anybody important.

Lin/Beverley/Brooks/Canaan
    Harden/Stevenson
    Parsons/Garcia/Casspi
    Jones/Smith/Motiejunas
    Howard/Asik/Camby

That's cutting Henriquez, Young, Williams and Covington.

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

I was just thinking about when he got arrested for PI after Dallas won.

20. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

I think he can't still play in NBA, but u think he still can play. why should we continue to discuss?