Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > NBA Dish

Did Rafer get as much hate?
Tags:  basketball, nba Tags
TriCkz is offline Old 02-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
TriCkz
TriCkz is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: May 2006
Member: #17997
As Lin? Even if Lin plays good people still want to bench him..

Sponsored Link
Kojirou is offline Old 02-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
Kojirou
Kojirou is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereKojirou is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereKojirou is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereKojirou is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereKojirou is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereKojirou is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereKojirou is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #37556
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCkz View Post
Prove it. Especially since I'm fairly certain that if I cared to delve in the GARM for any reasonable amount of time, I'm sure I could find 50 "Waaahhhh it's not Lin's fault he played bad last game, it's Harden/McHale/Morey/the moon's fault!" for every one of your supposed "We should bench LIn even though he's playing well" posts.

dharocks is offline Old 02-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
dharocks
Contributing Member
dharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jun 2003
Member: #12819
Way more.

And it doesn't even compare to the grief Steve got.

RKREBORN is offline Old 02-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
RKREBORN
RKREBORN is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneRKREBORN is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneRKREBORN is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneRKREBORN is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneRKREBORN is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneRKREBORN is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jul 2006
Member: #19645
Quote:
Don't think Rafer got 25 million

PinkTacos is offline Old 02-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
PinkTacos
PinkTacos is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finePinkTacos is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finePinkTacos is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Nov 2012
Member: #52651
Quote:
You are from 2006 and you don't remember the Rafer bashing?
Rafer was criticized heavily on this board and rafer never had ROFs to back him up.

tehG l i d e is offline Old 02-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
tehG l i d e
tehG l i d e is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetehG l i d e is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetehG l i d e is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetehG l i d e is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetehG l i d e is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetehG l i d e is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetehG l i d e is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Member: #36626
I remember he got crapped on regularly. Funny thing is he led the Magic throughout the playoffs to the Finals whenever Jameer got hurt.

Go_Korea is offline Old 02-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
Go_Korea
Go_Korea is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodGo_Korea is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Mar 2006
Member: #16488
HELL NO (I was part of the Rafer hate).

Rafer's hate on this board was as bad as SacTown's hate on UT. Almost.

tehG l i d e is offline Old 02-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
tehG l i d e
tehG l i d e is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetehG l i d e is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetehG l i d e is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetehG l i d e is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetehG l i d e is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetehG l i d e is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetehG l i d e is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Member: #36626
The hate was excessive because expectations were higher back then. We were regularly the 4th-6th seed back then. He was an easy target because of his spotty shooting and considered the obvious weak link of the starting line-up. He did hardly ever turn the ball over and played good D though.

Patience is offline Old 02-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
Patience
Contributing Member
Patience is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPatience is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPatience is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPatience is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPatience is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Apr 2002
Member: #3684
The Rafer hate was pretty heavy. And I don't think there is any one thing that Lin does that has gotten one iota of the hate as Rafer's faulty tear drop shot. The hate for that shot was legendary. Heck, I think Juwan Howard and T-Mac got way more "hate" than Lin.

conquistador#11 is online now Old 02-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
conquistador#11
conquistador#11 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsconquistador#11 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsconquistador#11 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsconquistador#11 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsconquistador#11 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsconquistador#11 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsconquistador#11 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsconquistador#11 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsconquistador#11 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsconquistador#11 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsconquistador#11 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 2006
Member: #18869
rafer didn't shoot over 41% til he was in his 30s, and that's fgs close to the bucket. How can you forget the tear drop that went in once every 50 times. It frustrated everybody.

as for rafer not making 25 million, he was the originator of the 29 million dollars. In today's money that translates to 8 million a year for six years, obviously I'm using my back to the future guide to economics of 2012. That's what 10 points and 4 assists got you at the time =/

moose is offline Old 02-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
moose
moose is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodmoose is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Oct 2008
Member: #33961
I remember those days lol

shayan is offline Old 02-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #12
shayan
shayan is Omer Asik -- working the boardsshayan is Omer Asik -- working the boardsshayan is Omer Asik -- working the boardsshayan is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jan 2012
Member: #50149
A lot of people don't realize that Ppat, Morris, Douglas also get A LOT of hater. Things just don't go out of proportion because they don't have POF OR MOF OR DOF (lmfao). And yes Rafer got hate. T-Mac got hate. Only player that didn't get hate a lot was Yao Ming or Olajuwon or Drexler.

tor.rocks is offline Old 02-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #13
tor.rocks
tor.rocks is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2012
Member: #52712
Jeremy Lin, the ying and yang of the nba. Most hate and most loved. All from crazy people.

cheke64 is online now Old 02-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #14
cheke64
cheke64 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemcheke64 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemcheke64 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemcheke64 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemcheke64 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemcheke64 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemcheke64 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemcheke64 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemcheke64 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemcheke64 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: May 2009
Member: #42238
meh.. I got so used to Mac and YAo playing with scrubs but the one that stood out the most was BATTIERRR.

flamingdts is offline Old 02-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #15
flamingdts
flamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereflamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereflamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereflamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereflamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereflamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereflamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Feb 2008
Member: #30398
Lin doesn't even get hated.

Seriously, most of the "hate" I see are likely from game threads, the bi-polars of all game thread. Every player in game threads receive their share of "knee jerk hates", and Lin is absolutely no exception (even if his fans think so).

This whole "LOH" is honestly one of the biggest myths I have seen since joining the board, and it's pretty funny because any Rocket player who shines brighter than Lin gets more unwarranted criticism than Lin ever did.

Codman is offline Old 02-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #16
Codman
Contributing Member
Codman is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereCodman is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereCodman is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereCodman is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereCodman is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereCodman is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereCodman is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jun 2001
Member: #2698
What I valued more about Rafer was his defense (underrated) and ball-handling.

I still feel like Jeremy is very turnover prone when he's doubled and isn't as quick until he penetrates to the lane.

TD is a step up from Rafer.

Then again, even with all of the hate, Rafer came to play every night.

-Linsanity is thankfully gone; now we just need an antidote for McHale's incompetence.
-My loves: Family. Friends. Rockets .Teaching underprivileged, yet highly-motivated, teenagers. Coaching High School/AAU/GCU ball (We are Division 1 now!)

DaDakota is offline Old 02-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #17
DaDakota
Contributing Member
DaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 1999
Member: #331
Good lord, Rafer sucked, he stunk, could not stand him - so yes - he got a big dose of it from me, for sure.

DD

merrrlo is offline Old 02-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #18
merrrlo
merrrlo is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Member: #37591
If you ask me, Rafer got LOADS more. And I didn't think he really deserved it, either. I think most of the Lin hate is directed towards the LOFs, not Lin himself. The hate for Rafer was disproportionate.

iconoclastic is offline Old 02-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #19
iconoclastic
iconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #26097
Much more.

A_3PO is offline Old 02-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #20
A_3PO
A_3PO is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemA_3PO is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemA_3PO is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemA_3PO is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemA_3PO is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemA_3PO is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemA_3PO is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemA_3PO is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemA_3PO is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemA_3PO is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Apr 2006
Member: #17945
Quote:
You must be very young not to remember how intense the hatred was for Rafer. It was compounded by Ademan's insistence on playing him down the stretch every 4th quarter no matter how pathetic he was. At least McHale pulls Lin when he's terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clippy View Post
I only take it far because Kobe is so overrated. He has never positively impacted his team despite winning tons of press and accolades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clippy View Post
[Chris] Paul will flop maybe once or twice a game