ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Talking Rockets Depth, Trade Possibilities with David Weiner
Commodore is offline Old 01-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
Commodore
Contributing Member
Commodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCommodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCommodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCommodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCommodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCommodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCommodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCommodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCommodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCommodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCommodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Dec 2007
Member: #28812

any thoughts on this guy? draft express lists him at 6'11 220 lbs

Sponsored Link
Clutch is offline Old 01-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
Clutch
Administrator
Clutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #1
I'm still learning the rules of the D-League, but I'm not sure the Rockets have any exclusive rights on him. Given how secretive the Rockets usually are, it's strange to see Morey praising a D-League player openly when (I would think) anyone could pick him up... but I don't know, and it's not like other teams don't pay constant attention to the NBDL.

He's 24 years old and wasn't drafted in the 2010 NBA Draft. Averaging 14.2 points on 61% from the field, 7.2 boards, 1.6 blocks in 27+ minutes this year with the Vipers. RGV got his rights in a trade with the Springfield Armor in November.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/riogrande...ade110512.html

He likes to finish around the basket...

"My kid's asleep. I've eaten dinner. I'm ready to get on ClutchFans." -- Ron Artest

jmwilliamson is online now Old 01-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
jmwilliamson
Contributing Member
jmwilliamson is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejmwilliamson is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejmwilliamson is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejmwilliamson is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejmwilliamson is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejmwilliamson is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejmwilliamson is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Dec 2002
Member: #9133
I've been impressed with Ohlbrecht from the minutes I've seen. I doubt he'll ever be a starter in t he NBA, but he seems like he could at least be a quality backup. He plays hard so I hope he'll one day get that chance. Even a few years of being a minimum contract player can change his life financially if he's smart with his money.

clutch citizen is offline Old 01-28-2013, 12:45 AM   #4
clutch citizen
clutch citizen is Omer Asik -- working the boardsclutch citizen is Omer Asik -- working the boardsclutch citizen is Omer Asik -- working the boardsclutch citizen is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jul 2003
Member: #13153
Plays like a big. He keeps the ball up under the basket. He understands the movement of a big, but he seems to lack fundamentals. His screens are sloppy but he moves well when he slips the screen. I don't see him establish position deep in the post like in the video Clutch posted. I doubt he would be able to do that in the NBA anyway. Seems like he'd be a solid big man in the league.

proudfoot is offline Old 01-28-2013, 01:04 AM   #5
proudfoot
proudfoot is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Since: Jan 2013
Member: #53564
He seems pretty good. We don't really have an open roster spot for him - but we might after we trade.

Dr of Dunk is offline Old 01-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
Dr of Dunk
Clutch Crew
Dr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Aug 1999
Member: #676
I don't think there are any secrets in the D-League unless you're a pathetic organization. Most of the better teams (if not all) probably have scouts keeping tabs on Euro teenagers in podunk villages, so I doubt anything happening in the D-League gets by them.

Ronnie Brewer is my favorite Rocket of all time!

GBRocket is offline Old 01-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
GBRocket
Contributing Member
GBRocket is Omer Asik -- working the boardsGBRocket is Omer Asik -- working the boardsGBRocket is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Apr 2003
Member: #11710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
I'm still learning the rules of the D-League, but I'm not sure the Rockets have any exclusive rights on him. Given how secretive the Rockets usually are, it's strange to see Morey praising a D-League player openly when (I would think) anyone could pick him up... but I don't know, and it's not like other teams don't pay constant attention to the NBDL.

He's 24 years old and wasn't drafted in the 2010 NBA Draft. Averaging 14.2 points on 61% from the field, 7.2 boards, 1.6 blocks in 27+ minutes this year with the Vipers. RGV got his rights in a trade with the Springfield Armor in November.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/riogrande...ade110512.html

He likes to finish around the basket...

I really can't wait for the day when we will be able to use the NBDL as a proper feeder to the big league club, with the ability to hold the rights of all players on the team - including Ohlbrecht - so we can develop them over time. Plus, imagine the array of interesting trades Daryl would be able to pull off with two rosters at his disposal!

mike_lu is offline Old 01-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #8
mike_lu
mike_lu is Omer Asik -- working the boardsmike_lu is Omer Asik -- working the boardsmike_lu is Omer Asik -- working the boardsmike_lu is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Feb 2006
Member: #16422
I think we should at least have a system where you can designate say 3 players who you hold on to the rights for, say up to 3 years.

This allows players to get a chance with other teams, and also prevents teams from holding a player in DLeague for such a long time such that the player doesn't get an NBA chance.

Raz is offline Old 01-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #9
Raz
Raz is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Sep 2012
Member: #52196
I know this guy from our national team. Kinda surprised he's doing that good with the Vipers, since he's never been impressive here.

Yung-T is offline Old 01-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #10
Yung-T
Yung-T is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemYung-T is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemYung-T is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemYung-T is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemYung-T is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemYung-T is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemYung-T is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemYung-T is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemYung-T is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemYung-T is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemYung-T is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Apr 2009
Member: #40202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I know this guy from our national team. Kinda surprised he's doing that good with the Vipers, since he's never been impressive here.
Always felt like his game was more suited for the faster NBA pace because of his athleticsm and ability to stretch the floor, good decision to leave Europe.

I to believe that Davis has Garnett potential. I also feel that Lamb has McGrady potential. Terrence Jones has the potential to be better than Bosh. Royce has the potential to be another Majic Johnson.

3 potentials > 1 potential.
jvu - Yeah and I love the D. So PG is perfect for me!

jvu - I am not a fan of harden's D.

Rocket Booster is offline Old 01-30-2013, 04:52 AM   #11
Rocket Booster
Rocket Booster is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Dec 2012
Member: #53435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
D-League is a lot lower level of competition than the German League.

Nook is online now Old 01-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #12
Nook
Nook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsNook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsNook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsNook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsNook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsNook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsNook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsNook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsNook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsNook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsNook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Booster View Post
No it isn't.

GermanRoxFan is offline Old 01-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #13
GermanRoxFan
GermanRoxFan is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #5928
Quote:

tinman faints.

Raz is offline Old 01-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #14
Raz
Raz is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Sep 2012
Member: #52196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung-T View Post
Always felt like his game was more suited for the faster NBA pace because of his athleticsm and ability to stretch the floor, good decision to leave Europe.
True, but he still looked awkward on several occasions. That's why I'm so surprised.

Quote:
Maybe lower than Euroleague, but our local BBL? No way. BBL is in a growing process because in Bayern Munich they have a cash cow now. But still, the level is pretty damn low.

Rocket Booster is offline Old 01-31-2013, 08:22 AM   #15
Rocket Booster
Rocket Booster is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Dec 2012
Member: #53435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nook View Post
No it isn't.
Yes it is. Much lower.

GIGO is offline Old 01-31-2013, 08:39 AM   #16
GIGO
GIGO is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodGIGO is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Aug 2012
Member: #51977

Rio Grande's Ohlbrecht's wild ride to D-League (http://www.csnhouston.com/rockets/ri...-ride-d-league)

coweye is offline Old 01-31-2013, 10:17 AM   #17
coweye
coweye is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Dec 2011
Member: #49894
Beside of his skills he is a coachable player but i dont think that he would get alot of minutes with the Rockets because of our HC.

Carl Herrera is offline Old 01-31-2013, 01:18 PM   #18
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Carl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2007
Member: #22691
I would not be shocked if the Rockets gave him a call up after the trade deadline, once cap room is no longer an issue and maybe once the Vipers finishes their season, both to give him a look at the NBA and to financially compensate him for being a good soldier in RGV and giving up some European money to come to the US.

Also, who knows which of the bigs on the HOU roster will still be with up past trade deadline?

bgp10626 is offline Old 01-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #19
bgp10626
bgp10626 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Feb 2010
Member: #45538
He reminds me of paul gasol. the way he plays. from the highlights. and i do know players in D-Leauge would be totally diff than the NBA. but maybe a little coaching and expreience in NBA and he could be a decent. worth giving him a chance. start him up as Back up C.

CertifiedTroll is offline Old 02-01-2013, 12:28 AM   #20
CertifiedTroll
CertifiedTroll is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodCertifiedTroll is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Feb 2012
Member: #50246
The game I watched of him his movement stood out to me. For being that big he moves very very good. He seemed quick and had really good body control. Not sure about his skills other than being able to attack the basket though