ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Talking Rockets Depth, Trade Possibilities with David Weiner

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

View Poll Results: Who is the best SG in the NBA right now?
Kobe Bryant 170 26.73%
James Harden 427 67.14%
Somebody else 39 6.13%
Voters: 636. You may not vote on this poll

Is Harden already the best SG in the NBA?
Tags:  basketball, houston rockets, james harden, kobe bryant, league, nba, shooting, wade Tags
LikeMike is offline Old 01-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
LikeMike
Contributing Member
LikeMike is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineLikeMike is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineLikeMike is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Mar 2007
Member: #22804
Hey guys,

Analysts seem to agree, that Harden will be the best SG in 3 years - but the way he has been playing since December got me seriously considering, if he is already the best SG in the league.

Obviously his main and arguably only competition at this point is Kobe. Stats wise they are very close. Kobe has a slightly better FG%, 4 more points and a rebound more per game - Harden takes about 5 less shots (takes more FTs) and has an assist more.

If you look at advanced stats, Harden has the better true shooting percentage (.606 to .588) and a slightly lesser PER (25 to 23.8).

Kobe obviously has the way better track record so far - but this season he has trouble to help his team win. Harden on the other hand has played a big role in a great Rockets season so far, that exceeded the expectations of basically all analysts. And while Kobe tries to do it all every night, Harden seems trust his teammates more, and is willing to take a back seat when somebody else is hot - always ready to take over when he is needed to.

So, who is the best SG in the NBA right now? Kobe? Harden? Or perhaps somebody else like Wade?

Sponsored Link
ThatBoyNick is offline Old 01-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #2
ThatBoyNick
ThatBoyNick is Omer Asik -- working the boardsThatBoyNick is Omer Asik -- working the boardsThatBoyNick is Omer Asik -- working the boardsThatBoyNick is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Dec 2011
Member: #49886
I'll say wade and kobe are still better, ginobili i think is as good as harden, but he's definitely not having anywhere near the impact harden is on his team.

J Sizzle is offline Old 01-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
J Sizzle
J Sizzle is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJ Sizzle is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJ Sizzle is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJ Sizzle is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJ Sizzle is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJ Sizzle is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJ Sizzle is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Feb 2012
Member: #50387
I think RIGHT NOW, it's still Kobe Bryant. Dude is having one of the best seasons of his career in his mid 30's, and leads Harden by a few points in PER. It's not translating to wins, but Kobe has been balling this season, so I still give the slight edge to him.

But after that I really do think it's Harden. I think he's passed up Dwayne Wade. He's more efficient, more productive, and while he has to play 2nd fiddle to Lebron, Harden is just more dynamic at him at this point in their careers. Harden is better at playmaking and shooting as well I would say.

But really you could make a case for either one.

Da_Spark is online now Old 01-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
Da_Spark
Da_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDa_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDa_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDa_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDa_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Oct 2008
Member: #34364
Right now its still Kobe but at this rate, Harden will surpass him in soon.

JJ23 is offline Old 01-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
JJ23
Rookie
JJ23 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2012
Member: #52752
Too early to tell. He could possibly be in the honeymoon phase of his young career as a starter. I would rather wait until the end of the season to make that assertion.

echu888 is offline Old 01-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
echu888
echu888 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Mar 2006
Member: #16526
If they ever make a rule in basketball that you're not allowed to take three steps after picking up your dribble.... James is screwed...

Viola is offline Old 01-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
Viola
Viola is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Dec 2012
Member: #53148
YES!

N8ioncyrus is offline Old 01-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
N8ioncyrus
N8ioncyrus is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Dec 2009
Member: #44525
Yes. Yes he is.

moestavern19 is offline Old 01-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
moestavern19
Contributing Member
moestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Dec 1999
Member: #1017
Harden scores effortlessly. It's really incredible to watch him go to work.

Charlesj is offline Old 01-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #10
Charlesj
Charlesj is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #38053
I think it's Kobe ahead of Harden, however by next year and Definantly his third year in a Rockets uniform, no one will be touching him! It's going to take him some time to improve efficiency as he adjust to the role of option number one! With that said he already pretty damn good!

apollo33 is offline Old 01-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
apollo33
apollo33 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchapollo33 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchapollo33 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchapollo33 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchapollo33 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchapollo33 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchapollo33 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchapollo33 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #39124
Its between him and Kevin martin

For God so loved the world that he gave his second Son, Jeremy Lin, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. -Jeremy 3:16
-CH

meh is offline Old 01-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
meh
Contributing Member
meh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4868
I'm going to wait until Harden has a playoff series under his belt as the #1 option before I can claim he's better than Kobe.

BeeBeard is offline Old 01-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #13
BeeBeard
BeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineBeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineBeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Feb 2008
Member: #30435
If we're talking about who is best at the position, then Dwyane Wade is an irrelevant comparison. Off his cycle, his athleticism cratering hard, Wade has no place in this discussion.

The consensus-best shooting guard in the league has been Kobe Bryant for over 10 years now.

So the question is really "Is James Harden better than Kobe Bryant?"

We are just coming off a bad game for one player and a good game for the other, so our measurements might be a little off right now, but I would say cautiously....yes. James Harden is better than Kobe and therefore the best at the position at this point.

When you factor in:

- Harden's defense (5th in the league in steals)

- playmaking ability (good for 1-2 extra assists per game than Kobe despite similar usage)

- Incredible efficiency, particularly in cutting to the basket and getting to the line

I think Harden brings the total package. I think he is the better of the two players by a not insignificant margin.

Our perceptions and the stats that reinforce them could change in the last half of this season, but that's where it stands now. James Harden is better than the guy who is supposed to be #1 at the position, and so what does that make James Harden but #1 at the position?

Grigori is offline Old 01-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #14
Grigori
Grigori is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodGrigori is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jan 2010
Member: #44899
It's really difficult to be the best SG in the NBA when you are only slightly above mediocre on one side of the ball. In 3 years, though, Harden may possibly become the best SG in the NBA on the virtue of Kobe and Wade not being in the league anymore. I doubt it, though, if you count two-way players like Paul George as SGs, as it appears that a lot more players are able to improve their shooting than their defense. So the real question is, can Harden become an elite defender? That is going to determine whether he becomes the best SG in the NBA down the line.

BeardlyBeardman is offline Old 01-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #15
BeardlyBeardman
BeardlyBeardman is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodBeardlyBeardman is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Oct 2012
Member: #52518
I don't know. Is Kobe a better pure shooter? Yes, but it's really close. Does he have a history of being clutch? Yes, but does that factor into this since it's a right now question? IDK, I'd say no. Harden is the better facillitator, better passer, and probably the better teammate/attitude.

If it's still Kobe it's really close. I think Harden edges him when you consider them within the context of a team.

onreego is offline Old 01-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #16
onreego
onreego is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodonreego is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jan 2008
Member: #30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by echu888 View Post
If they ever make a rule in basketball that you're not allowed to take three steps after picking up your dribble.... James is screwed...

roslolian is offline Old 01-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #17
roslolian
roslolian is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneroslolian is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneroslolian is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneroslolian is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneroslolian is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneroslolian is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Oct 2008
Member: #34579
I think a lot of the other posters nailed it, Kobe is the better "pure" SG, if they dueled one on one unfortunately my answer would still be Kobe. At this point Kobe's 10x more experienced, and unlike Wade his athleticism still hasn't left him (BTW wtf? Someone actually put Wade over Harden? LOL Manu's better at this point than Wade), and again his D is still better than Harden. But that's what you get when Kobe's 30+ and Harden's 23.

However, I think Harden's playmaking ability makes him overall the best SG in the league right now. Kobe's putting up good stats, however Harden's really been on a tear, and just dunking and shooting fts on everyone. Add his playmaking ability on top of that, then Harden's definitely better.

BeeBeard is offline Old 01-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #18
BeeBeard
BeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineBeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineBeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Feb 2008
Member: #30435
Quote:
Originally Posted by onreego View Post
Totally off-topic, but he thinks the euro-step is travelling.

If it wasn't travelling for Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker all these years, then I don't see how it's travelling now.

JuanValdez is offline Old 01-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #19
JuanValdez
Contributing Member
JuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #35
It seems to me that Kobe has a peculiarly intense personality. On the one hand, it makes him very competitive and is the reason he's as great a player as he is. On the other hand, if it isn't handled right I think it can be bad for the team -- and my impression is that Kobe's personality is a big factor in the Lakers not performing this season (and for letting Detroit beat their last superteam with Karl Malone and Gary Payton). So, Kobe might be awesome on the court, he may be a team player on the court, all the stats could say he's the best, but if he's poisoning his team, does it matter? Conversely, if the only reason he's poison is because this coach can't handle it like Phil Jackson could, then is it really on him?

It's a team sport and people always want to think about it as an individual sport. When Allen Iverson had Larry Brown coaching, they had a great team and contended. When he had lesser coaches, he was a ballhog and a malcontent and a team-killer. If Iverson and Bryant changed places in their careers and Iverson could work under Phil Jackson, would Kobe be the malcontent bounced to the CBA while Iverson was the Air Apparent with multiple championship rings?

tomato is offline Old 01-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #20
tomato
tomato is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finetomato is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finetomato is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jun 2007
Member: #24178
I didn't believe I'd be considering this so soon, but here we are. All he needs to do is improve defense (stop leaving guys open in the corners FFS!) without his talent at scoring regressing and I wouldn't hesitate a second to call him the best SG.

HARDEN? DON'T MIND IF I DO