ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

What about trading for Eric Bledsoe?
Tags:  basketball, defense, houston rockets, james harden, los angeles clippers, nba, trade Tags
Good Times is offline Old 12-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Good Times
Good Times is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Mar 2003
Member: #11548
My first post, here goes:

Why the Clippers might be interested?

The Clippers have Paul & Billups and also Crawford who could also spell the point for a few mins. But their frontcourt is short on decent backup PFs as Odom hasn't played well (1.9ppg at the time of this post). With Jordan getting better at the inside game, they need a PF that can make that mid-range shot to free up the middle.

Why trade 2Pat?

We're full of PFs and could trade 2Pat and play well at PF with Morris or Smith starting and still have our three rookies behind them. We're heavy at the PF spot which isn't a bad thing but we're just too thin in the backcourt. This team desperately needs a backup pg. TD has not been able to imitate the offense and hasn't been able to score well enough to make up for it (his par of 8 is the lowest on the team). 2Pat has played well enough to raise eyebrows out there but he's the most replaceable of the starters.

Why do we want Bledsoe as the backup pg?

He's quick and likes to play the running game. He's got decent court vision and knows how to get his own shot. His motor always seems to be on high and he attacks the basket consistently. He can play defense with his Lowry like size. He's only 22. But on the Clippers he'll have a hard time getting more than 20 mins with Paul ahead of him and won't be able to play many mins next to Paul. Beldsoe could come off the bench and play along side either Harden or Lin. With Lin being closer to 6'4 he's got the size to play SGs for short periods as we've seen in NY (playing with Davis).

Sponsored Link
SuperVon is offline Old 12-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
SuperVon
Contributing Member
SuperVon is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Apr 2009
Member: #41018
I'd presume Bledsoe would be the Clippers plan B to Paul walking this summer.They did have the option of trading him and keeping Minnys 1st rounder last year, so they must like him.

Anyway, Patterson stretching the floor is more valuable with Asik and Harden logging huge minutes.

JayZ750 is offline Old 12-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
JayZ750
Contributing Member
JayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: May 2000
Member: #1462
I'd be ok with this trade at the deadline assuming nothing better can be had for Patterson.

Aruba77 is offline Old 12-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
Aruba77
Contributing Member
Aruba77 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAruba77 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAruba77 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAruba77 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAruba77 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAruba77 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAruba77 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jul 1999
Member: #589
He's got another year on his contract, so the Clips will likely hold onto him until Chris Paul signs an extension. I think it's pretty clear that if Paul stays Bledsoe will be moved sometime before next season's trade deadline. If Paul walks, they'll likely try to extend Bledsoe.

I really like Bledsoe's game. He came out way too early and is only 22, but per 36 minutes he's a 19ppg player, with 5 rbs/5 dimes/2.7 steals/ and 1.3 blocks. He's a tough nosed player that needs minutes to prove how good he can be ...sorta like Lowry when we traded Memphis for him. He's got to learn to cut down on his turnovers though.

He would be an excellent value/high-upside player if we could work out a Lowry-esque contract. PG figures to be a a real need position for us as we build around Harden. Bledsoe has huge upside.

HR Dept is offline Old 12-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
HR Dept
Contributing Member
HR Dept is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneHR Dept is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneHR Dept is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneHR Dept is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneHR Dept is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneHR Dept is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: May 2012
Member: #50944
It's a no-brainer. But I think the Clippers can get more than Patterson for Bledsoe.

I accept no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the info provided, unless that info is subsequently confirmed in writing. And even then I will still not be held liable. The content of this post is based wholly or partially upon: Fact, Fiction, or Opinion and any specification as to: which, when, where and how or any combination of the aforementioned is and will remain confidential. If I have offended you do note that i do not care.

Arthurprescott2 is offline Old 12-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
Arthurprescott2
Arthurprescott2 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodArthurprescott2 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jul 2012
Member: #51824
Isaiah Thomas or Eric Bledsoe - should be our targets for back-up PG. I'd be ok with Patty Mills as well. Unfortunately for all 3, I think teams are going to hold on to them unless offered something significant. Not sure if PPatt is enticing enough.

I no longer have to watch RGV games to see DMo!!!

Ultramagnus is offline Old 12-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
Ultramagnus
Rookie
Ultramagnus is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Member: #51923
No way Clippers giving up Eric Bledsoe. They didn't give him up when they traded for Paul, and already giving up Mo Williams wasn't the reason why they were able to keep him. They wanted to keep Bledsoe.

roxxy is offline Old 12-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
roxxy
roxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Member: #51508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurprescott2 View Post
Isaiah Thomas or Eric Bledsoe - should be our targets for back-up PG. I'd be ok with Patty Mills as well. Unfortunately for all 3, I think teams are going to hold on to them unless offered something significant. Not sure if PPatt is enticing enough.
Wasn't Thomas a starter last year? What happened?

either that or Harden is being vastly underrated by a so called Rockets fan who supposedly watched majority of the Rockets games last season where Harden night in and night out carry the Rockets offense and torch whatever defense the opposing team throws at him
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlaurelio View Post
stats are only credible if they point to jlin as the better player
Stats: Advanced Stats Primer | Basketball-Reference | Hoop Data | Team Rankings | NBA WOWY! | NBA.com (Advanced) | Vorped | Popcorn Machine | NBA Graphs

Ultramagnus is offline Old 12-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
Ultramagnus
Rookie
Ultramagnus is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Member: #51923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramagnus View Post
No way Clippers giving up Eric Bledsoe. They didn't give him up when they traded for Paul, and already giving up Mo Williams wasn't the reason why they were able to keep him. They wanted to keep Bledsoe.
my bad, Mo wasn't in that trade.

Gordon and Aminu were. Nevertheless the Hornets wanted a "replacement" PG but Bledsoe was off limits.

Arthurprescott2 is offline Old 12-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
Arthurprescott2
Arthurprescott2 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodArthurprescott2 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Member: #51824
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy View Post
Wasn't Thomas a starter last year? What happened?
Aaron Brooks was brought into start. Splitting PG duties w/ Isaiah this year. Thomas is still getting about 18 MPG. Brooks around 22. Posting very similar numbers except Thomas has more TOs (younger/inexperienced).

I no longer have to watch RGV games to see DMo!!!

roxxy is offline Old 12-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #11
roxxy
roxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Member: #51508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurprescott2 View Post
Aaron Brooks was brought into start. Splitting PG duties w/ Isaiah this year. Thomas is still getting about 18 MPG. Brooks around 22. Posting very similar numbers except Thomas has more TOs (younger/inexperienced).
So dumb. Thomas had a great rookie year last season why would they do that just let the kid learn.

either that or Harden is being vastly underrated by a so called Rockets fan who supposedly watched majority of the Rockets games last season where Harden night in and night out carry the Rockets offense and torch whatever defense the opposing team throws at him
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlaurelio View Post
stats are only credible if they point to jlin as the better player
Stats: Advanced Stats Primer | Basketball-Reference | Hoop Data | Team Rankings | NBA WOWY! | NBA.com (Advanced) | Vorped | Popcorn Machine | NBA Graphs

makman is offline Old 12-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #12
makman
makman is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #5662
Doubt they'd give him up and it's going to take a lot to get him. Plus he wouldn't want to sit behind Lin.

Shroopy2 is offline Old 12-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #13
Shroopy2
Contributing Member
Shroopy2 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchShroopy2 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchShroopy2 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchShroopy2 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchShroopy2 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchShroopy2 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchShroopy2 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchShroopy2 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Feb 2003
Member: #10896
Bledsoe is their version upstart backup behind CP3 similar to Darren Collison years back. Bledsoe's a little more highly thought of than Collison, and Collison has been A STARTER on both the Pacers and Mavericks, not a backup.

Collison first got traded in a 4 team trade for Trevor Ariza from the Rockets who then got Courtney Lee out of it. Trevor Ariza isnt good, but he was brought in to start for them.

If Patterson continues his current level over time, he can certainly be part of a trade package, but I don't see a backup-for-backup move happening for Clips, they'll probably want a more proven player. If anything the Clippers need a younger starting 2-guard, not the grey beards they've been tossing out there.

FearTheBeardJH is offline Old 12-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #14
FearTheBeardJH
FearTheBeardJH is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Nov 2012
Member: #52759
Bledsoe is much better player than Lin...

xiki is offline Old 12-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #15
xiki
Contributing Member
xiki is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finexiki is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finexiki is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramagnus View Post
Bingo. Great idea, but for Rox. Not Clips.

Carl Herrera is online now Old 12-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #16
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Carl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2007
Member: #22691
I think Clips hold on to Bledsoe no matter whether Paul stays or not. He is very talented and young and you'll have to blow their doors off for them to trade him.

Nimo is offline Old 12-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #17
Nimo
Nimo is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Member: #51693
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearTheBeardJH View Post
Bledsoe is much better player than Lin...
LinMVP is a better troll than FearTheBeardJH

CDrex is offline Old 12-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #18
CDrex
Contributing Member
CDrex is Omer Asik -- working the boardsCDrex is Omer Asik -- working the boardsCDrex is Omer Asik -- working the boardsCDrex is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #39038
Bledsoe's a better player than Patterson, sure. But what's the point of trading our best player from our weakest position for someone you intend to have as a backup?

If you acquire Bledsoe, it has to be all or nothing. Throw Lin entirely under the bus or don't bother. Giving up Patterson just to upgrade a bench slot doesn't work.

khfxxx is offline Old 12-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #19
khfxxx
khfxxx is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2012
Member: #52782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo View Post
LinMVP is a better troll than FearTheBeardJH
How do you know they are not the same troll?

Da_Spark is offline Old 12-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #20
Da_Spark
Da_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDa_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDa_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDa_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDa_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Oct 2008
Member: #34364
A Lin and Bledsoe back court could be Lowry Dragic part 2 where you end up having to choose 1 in the end.