ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets acquire Jason Terry from Kings

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

Starting to see some progress with Mr.Lin
Tags:  basketball, goran dragic, houston rockets, jeremy lin, nba, range Tags
OlajuwonFan81 is offline Old 12-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
OlajuwonFan81
OlajuwonFan81 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsOlajuwonFan81 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsOlajuwonFan81 is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Oct 2008
Member: #34755
I know, another Lin Thread !?!

Well this one is from an unbiased observer that has mainly been very skeptical of Lin especially considering we had the opportunity to keep Dragic. I just want to point out that he is pretty much the player I thought he'd be these last 10 games. It is nice to see some improvement and I do appreciate how he attacks the basket but he still needs a mid range game, and must figure out how to finish at the basket.

With that said lets take a look at his stats the last 10 games.

SPLITS GP MPG FG% RPG APG BLKPG STPG PFPG PPG
Last 10 Games 10 30.1 .481 3.1 5.4 0.5 1.3 2.6 13.4

If you compare these stats to Goran Dragic's you will see that they are very similar. I always wanted Goran to stay, but i assumed that Lin would be just a tad below Goran......it seems that this has been the case the last 10 games. What is especially impressive is his FG%. If he continues to show aggression and attack the basket, good things will happen. This backcourt should be destroying opposing defenses.

Who knows why he had such a slow start, but we can all agree that he has played much better over the past 10 games which in my opinion is a big enough sample size to conclude that he is progressing.

I trade 4 or sign Dwight Howard all day. Everyday.

Sponsored Link
conquistador#11 is offline Old 12-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
conquistador#11
conquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jun 2006
Member: #18869
I haven't seen Lin ice those knees in a game in at least 3 weeks. Maybe the chicks he picks up at the galleria ice them for him at home, who knows.

VBG is offline Old 12-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
VBG
VBG is James Harden -- racking up the pointsVBG is James Harden -- racking up the pointsVBG is James Harden -- racking up the pointsVBG is James Harden -- racking up the pointsVBG is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Jun 2009
Member: #42683
YOUNG PLAYERS GETTING BETTER?

THAT NEVER HAPPENS!!!!!

Seriously though, it's really nice to see Lin assert himself a little more. Today is a big game. Harden is not gonna be able to carry the offense. Lin is gonna have to step up.

kent335 is offline Old 12-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
kent335
kent335 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jul 2012
Member: #51917
It took Chris Paul about a full NBA season to fully recover from meniscus surgery. He really didn't play well until the 2nd season after his surgery.

I knew it would be a while before Lin fully regains his explosiveness. Looks like Lin is rounding into form and getting over his surgery about now. I think his knee still hasn't fully recovered to before surgery status, and it will probably be next season he fully comes back.

JJ23 is offline Old 12-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
JJ23
Rookie
JJ23 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2012
Member: #52752
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlajuwonFan81 View Post
I know, another Lin Thread !?!

Well this one is from an unbiased observer that has mainly been very skeptical of Lin especially considering we had the opportunity to keep Dragic. I just want to point out that he is pretty much the player I thought he'd be these last 10 games. It is nice to see some improvement and I do appreciate how he attacks the basket but he still needs a mid range game, and must figure out how to finish at the basket.

With that said lets take a look at his stats the last 10 games.

SPLITS GP MPG FG% RPG APG BLKPG STPG PFPG PPG
Last 10 Games 10 30.1 .481 3.1 5.4 0.5 1.3 2.6 13.4

If you compare these stats to Goran Dragic's you will see that they are very similar. I always wanted Goran to stay, but i assumed that Lin would be just a tad below Goran......it seems that this has been the case the last 10 games. What is especially impressive is his FG%. If he continues to show aggression and attack the basket, good things will happen. This backcourt should be destroying opposing defenses.

Who knows why he had such a slow start, but we can all agree that he has played much better over the past 10 games which in my opinion is a big enough sample size to conclude that he is progressing.
Careful you may be labeled a LOF...

OlajuwonFan81 is offline Old 12-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
OlajuwonFan81
OlajuwonFan81 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsOlajuwonFan81 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsOlajuwonFan81 is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Oct 2008
Member: #34755
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent335 View Post
It took Chris Paul about a full NBA season to fully recover from meniscus surgery. He really didn't play well until the 2nd season after his surgery.

I knew it would be a while before Lin fully regains his explosiveness. Looks like Lin is rounding into form and getting over his surgery about now. I think his knee still hasn't fully recovered to before surgery status, and it will probably be next season he fully comes back.
This very well could be a contributing factor. I also think it just takes time for a young player to get adjusted to a new offense, and figure out his role.

I trade 4 or sign Dwight Howard all day. Everyday.

JJ23 is offline Old 12-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
JJ23
Rookie
JJ23 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Member: #52752
Actually if you compare Lin at the start of the season to the last 4 games or so, he looks significantly faster...like he did last year. Maybe it was a bit of rust + the knee issue. Hopefully his mid to long range shooting % also comes back to a decent level....although, admittedly, it wasn't that great to begin with

eman is offline Old 12-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
eman
Contributing Member
eman is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodeman is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #5302
I think he's getting more confident in his knee and going stronger when he goes to the basket.

jvu is offline Old 12-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
jvu
jvu is Omer Asik -- working the boardsjvu is Omer Asik -- working the boardsjvu is Omer Asik -- working the boardsjvu is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jun 2009
Member: #42573
I think he'll continue to progress.. Team is young and he could use some offensive big man help. He's also recovering from a meniscus tear which cp3 also took awhile to recover from as well

RioFan is offline Old 12-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #10
RioFan
Contributing Member
RioFan is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Member: #51804
From my observation, JLin really hasn't taken too many mid-range shots. I think the Rox offense philosophy is to try to only take the most efficient shots, which are in the paint or beyond the arc. That's why JLin looked passive, because he was passing up the open mid-range shots.

I also think his knee and conditioning are just coming in to form because in preseason without Harden, he couldn't get in the paint at all.

JLin is not a spot up shooter and is better taking his shot off the dribble. Hopefully he won't make that Asia tour next summer and work on his catch and shoot.

You can spend minutes, hours, days, weeks, or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened... or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.
-Tupac Shakur-

sergio is offline Old 12-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
sergio
sergio is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Sep 2009
Member: #43569
When did he tear his muscle? Was it during Linsanity or the off-season?

VanityHalfBlack is offline Old 12-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #12
VanityHalfBlack
VanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: May 2009
Member: #42029
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquistador#11 View Post
I haven't seen Lin ice those knees in a game in at least 3 weeks. Maybe the chicks he picks up at the galleria ice them for him at home, who knows.
That or he has this guy at his suite like every day???

Carl Herrera is offline Old 12-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #13
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Carl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2007
Member: #22691
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanityHalfBlack View Post
That or he has this guy at his suite like every day???

"I'll ice your knees if you ice my shoulder."

J Sizzle is offline Old 12-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #14
J Sizzle
J Sizzle is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJ Sizzle is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJ Sizzle is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJ Sizzle is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJ Sizzle is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJ Sizzle is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJ Sizzle is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Feb 2012
Member: #50387
It's simple...

We've seen a more aggressive Lin in these last few games, and it's lead to the production we were expecting prior to the season.

I'm sure his surgery recovery is further along as well and that's a big factor, but ultimately, in my eyes, it's simply because Lin is playing more like Lin wants to play.

EarlIII is offline Old 12-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #15
EarlIII
EarlIII is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2012
Member: #52453
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Sizzle View Post
It's simple...

We've seen a more aggressive Lin in these last few games, and it's lead to the production we were expecting prior to the season.

I'm sure his surgery recovery is further along as well and that's a big factor, but ultimately, in my eyes, it's simply because the coaches are letting Lin play more like Lin wants to play.
Fixed.

Alex L. is offline Old 12-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #16
Alex L.
Contributing Member
Alex L. is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Member: #51861
The coaches are letting him play, his knee is getting better, he's trusting his knee more, and his family is with him.

Doesn't matter though, one bad game and someone will bump the "... is a joke" thread.

holly1985 is offline Old 12-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #17
holly1985
holly1985 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Member: #52663
I think the main reason is he's still recovering from the knee surgery. Actually in an interview he had a couple of days ago(can't remember which day, but definitely in December), he said his knee still not 100% yet and he still couldn't do some moves he was able to do before the injury.
It took cp3 a whole season to fully recover. Let's give Lin some more time.

ada32 is offline Old 12-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #18
ada32
ada32 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Dec 2012
Member: #53153
I think the main reason for his slow start is his knee.

For the last few games, I did not notice any icing during the game. May be it is healing and regaining its strength!

manning is offline Old 12-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #19
manning
manning is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Aug 2012
Member: #52055
lin still has a lot to learn. especially his jump shot. but it's just a learning process .the more he plays and gains more experience, the better he'll get.
it's nice to see him become more aggressive now. hope he keeps doing that.

Downtownbrown is offline Old 12-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #20
Downtownbrown
Downtownbrown is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jul 2009
Member: #43169
If Lin is aggressive and attacks the basketball he his a solid player. When he is being complacent is when he is liability for this team. As long as he stays aggressive we will be good.