ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Look who's back: Rockets sign Trevor Ariza to a four-year, $32M deal
MambaJoe is offline Old 11-17-2012, 12:59 AM   #1
MambaJoe
MambaJoe is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineMambaJoe is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineMambaJoe is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jul 2009
Member: #43157
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/

Quote:
HANG TIME, Texas ó As the cold nights and the injuries pile up in Minneapolis, so should the opportunities for those still upright and healthy in the Timberwolves lineup. So what should we make of Derrick Williams, the No. 2 pick in the 2011? After doing little to distinguish himself as a rookie, Williams has shown few signs of getting better.

Much credit has been given to the always-resourceful coach Rick Adelman for keeping his team moving forward without the infirmed Ricky Rubio, Kevin Love, Brandon Roy and now Chase Budinger. However, the Wolves 5-3 record is even more impressive when you consider how little heís getting out of a gem prospect like Williams who has turned into cubic zirconia in barely a year.

Last season, he at least had the post-lockout excuses of no real training camp and a condensed schedule to blame. None of that applies this time around and, if anything, the opportunities to prove himself have only grown in the face of so many injuries. But according to our man Jim Souhan of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, Williams shows no inclination of rising to the occasion and pitching in:

The Wolvesí most gifted healthy player isnít playing long enough or hard enough to justify the second pick in the 2011 draft, isnít playing long or hard enough to justify his place on a team that desperately needs him right now, and he doesnít seem to understand that if he canít help right now he might not be asked to help much later. The Wolves have four players on the All-Star ballot. Three are injured. Two havenít played at all this season. Six of their seven top players were out Wednesday. Their best healthy player, Kirilenko, is surviving with brains and elbows, surviving by reminding his teammates that 95 percent of the game is played below the rim and between the ears. Thursday, the day after Williams faded, the Wolves signed small forward Josh Howard as a (luke)warm body to help spell Kirilenko. Williams should be embarrassed. Apparently, he is not. ďI think we all struggled,Ē he said, referring to all of the Wolves who had shots blocked. Asked about his progress, he said: ďIím feeling a lot better. Iím not worried about misses and makes like that. If you play the game going off misses and makes itís going to be a long season.Ē

Williamsí 8.8 point per game scoring average is identical to last season, while his field goal percentage has dropped from a poor 41.2 to an abysmal 32.4. He has the athleticism and the skills to get to the rim, but canít finish. He has scored in double figures only three times thus far and shot just 9-for-33 in his last three games.

He watches veterans like Andrei Kirilenko throw his body all over the floor at both ends and does not join him. At a time when Williamsí hustle and attitude should be forcing Adelman to give him more playing time, he still spends more than half of every game on the bench. Rubio, Love, Roy, Budinger. Itís an injured list that almost hurts just to read.

Ndudi Ebi, Rashad McCants, Jonny Flynn, Wesley Johnson. Itís a list of washout first-round draft picks by the Timberwolves that is painful in a different way and that Williams keeps inching closer to joining.
To me, I think Derrick Williams is a bust. Reminds me of another Michael Beasley 2.0. One thing I really don't understand is that since Kevin Durant at the 2nd overall pick since 2007, Michael Beasley (2008) Hasheem Thabeet (2009) Evan Turner (2010) Derrick Williams (2011), are all considered Bust. Even though it may be a little early but I don't see either Evan Turner, Beasley or Williams able to turn it around and be all star caliber players. Aside of Thabeet, all of those players at best are just NBA starting caliber players.

Lock if posted...

No Government in our country can lawfully stifle free speech and fine those who exercise it; the NBA under present circumstances can both stifle and fine players and coaches who speak up.

Sponsored Link
daywalker02 is offline Old 11-17-2012, 01:05 AM   #2
daywalker02
daywalker02 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsdaywalker02 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsdaywalker02 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsdaywalker02 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsdaywalker02 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsdaywalker02 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Jul 2006
Member: #19255
I don't think you can call some of them complete busts when some of them are performing fairly well just not on an all star level

OremLK is offline Old 11-17-2012, 01:24 AM   #3
OremLK
OremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jan 2010
Member: #45024
Too early to say bust, mainly because he's only 21. Lots of guys are still in college at that age who wind up being good players. Does it look unlikely he will live up to his draft slot, yes. Can he still become a good player? Absolutely.

MambaJoe is offline Old 11-17-2012, 02:55 AM   #4
MambaJoe
MambaJoe is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineMambaJoe is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineMambaJoe is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jul 2009
Member: #43157
My theory of bust means that those guys being able to live up to their expectations. Being the 2nd overall pick is big with tons of expectations to be a franchise changer. Thabeet is a bust. Michael Beasley has bounced around different teams. Evan Turner is decent but not an all star caliber player, and so far, Derrick Williams have tons of upside and talent but not taking full advantage of it. There's a reason why he's not getting big minutes while half his team is on the injured list.

No Government in our country can lawfully stifle free speech and fine those who exercise it; the NBA under present circumstances can both stifle and fine players and coaches who speak up.

BeeBeard is offline Old 11-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
BeeBeard
BeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineBeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineBeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Feb 2008
Member: #30435
Not even Ricky Rubio can make this guy look good.

He's looking bust-ish, but not quite there yet.

A_3PO is online now Old 11-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #6
A_3PO
A_3PO is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchA_3PO is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchA_3PO is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchA_3PO is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchA_3PO is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchA_3PO is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchA_3PO is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchA_3PO is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchA_3PO is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Apr 2006
Member: #17945
Comparing him to Beasley is an insult to Beasley. Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clippy View Post
I only take it far because Kobe is so overrated. He has never positively impacted his team despite winning tons of press and accolades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clippy View Post
[Chris] Paul will flop maybe once or twice a game

Dreamin is offline Old 11-17-2012, 09:50 AM   #7
Dreamin
Dreamin is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodDreamin is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Dec 2010
Member: #47905
Kahn does it again. Flynn, Wes Johnson and now Derrick Williams. Whos next?

LCAhmed is offline Old 11-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
LCAhmed
Contributing Member
LCAhmed is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereLCAhmed is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereLCAhmed is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereLCAhmed is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereLCAhmed is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereLCAhmed is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereLCAhmed is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Nov 2009
Member: #44232
Evan Turner is actually playing very well for the 76ers this year. He had to play behind Iggy and also competed for 6th man minutes with Lou Williams. I would not be surprised at all if Turner came into his own this year.

SupermoochieFro is offline Old 11-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
SupermoochieFro
SupermoochieFro is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Feb 2010
Member: #45229
Change of scenery would be best. Dude is only 21 and has more potential than anyone on this rockets team aside from Harden. Oh, and he just had 23pts 7reb and 4blks last night.

Moochie's Fro + Harden's Beard = Don King.

DonkeyMagic is offline Old 11-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
DonkeyMagic
Contributing Member
DonkeyMagic is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsDonkeyMagic is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsDonkeyMagic is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsDonkeyMagic is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsDonkeyMagic is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsDonkeyMagic is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsDonkeyMagic is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsDonkeyMagic is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsDonkeyMagic is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsDonkeyMagic is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsDonkeyMagic is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: May 2006
Member: #18051
I don't really consider him a bust but that's mostly because I never thought he would be a top tier player, and i say this as a big fan of his in college. That being said, he hasn't played as well as I thought he would. I considered him a to be an 18 and 8type guy

DonatasFanboy is offline Old 11-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #11
DonatasFanboy
DonatasFanboy is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDonatasFanboy is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDonatasFanboy is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDonatasFanboy is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDonatasFanboy is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Feb 2012
Member: #50323
Funny. He published that article right before one of Williams' best games of his career.

I think it's too early too tell, btw.
He looked very well next to a real point guard, and has looked much worse ever since Rubio got injured.
He seems a bit better this year than late last year, but it's still incomparable to how he was next to Rubio.

I never take an easy path. Easy paths are for quoters. - Donatas Motiejunas

Han Solo is offline Old 11-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #12
Han Solo
Han Solo is Omer Asik -- working the boardsHan Solo is Omer Asik -- working the boardsHan Solo is Omer Asik -- working the boardsHan Solo is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jun 2012
Member: #50947
****ING BUST! I took him around the middle of the draft thinking he would step up with Love out and he didn't do ****! Dropped niagga!

Carl Herrera is offline Old 11-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #13
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Carl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2007
Member: #22691
Quote:
Originally Posted by MambaJoe View Post
My theory of bust means that those guys being able to live up to their expectations. Being the 2nd overall pick is big with tons of expectations to be a franchise changer. Thabeet is a bust. Michael Beasley has bounced around different teams. Evan Turner is decent but not an all star caliber player, and so far, Derrick Williams have tons of upside and talent but not taking full advantage of it. There's a reason why he's not getting big minutes while half his team is on the injured list.
These guys have fulfilled expectations. They have played like No. 2s.

prs325 is offline Old 11-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #14
prs325
prs325 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #5162
Well thats why they traded their 18th pick to us because Adelman had no confidence in Kahn picking a player of his own haha

smr6 is offline Old 11-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #15
smr6
smr6 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finesmr6 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finesmr6 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jun 2012
Member: #50992
Maybe Morey will hang back and wait for his value to drop and take a chance on him like he did with the '09ers.

bluffkin is offline Old 11-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #16
bluffkin
bluffkin is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodbluffkin is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jun 2009
Member: #42670
Minny has a chance to trade D Will for Batum refused to give up on Williams, I think he will be a solid player.

nomangame is offline Old 11-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #17
nomangame
nomangame is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2012
Member: #52512
Has he even had his fair share of playing time?

It's not very fair to label someone a "bust" when he doesn't get the opportunities to prove himself

MrButtocks is offline Old 11-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #18
MrButtocks
Contributing Member
MrButtocks is Omer Asik -- working the boardsMrButtocks is Omer Asik -- working the boardsMrButtocks is Omer Asik -- working the boardsMrButtocks is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: May 2005
Member: #16215
I thought he would be Antawn Jamison at worst, a max player. I'm disappointed that he hasn't had any impact, but I don't consider him a bust yet. Just look at Marcus Morris for knee jerk bust reactions.

moestavern19 is offline Old 11-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #19
moestavern19
Contributing Member
moestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Dec 1999
Member: #1017
It is almost like the NBA could have taken away every first round pick the Twolves had for 20 years for the Joe Smith scandal and it would have barely mattered.

da_juice is offline Old 11-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #20
da_juice
da_juice is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneda_juice is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneda_juice is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneda_juice is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneda_juice is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneda_juice is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Dec 2009
Member: #44535
Quote:
Originally Posted by moestavern19 View Post
It is almost like the NBA could have taken away every first round pick the Twolves had for 20 years for the Joe Smith scandal and it would have barely mattered.
Love and Rubio are the only two good draft picks they've made recently. How long ago was KG and Starbury?