1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Weighted Average (By Minutes Played) of All 30 NBA Rosters

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Basketball-reference.com lists the average age of each NBA roster, weighted by minutes played (i.e., if you have lots of young players, but mostly greybeards see the floor, you are gonna end up with a high average). Link here: http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2013.html

The Houston Rockets have the 2nd lowest weighted average age in terms of players in its rotation, 24.6 years old. The lowest is the Cavaliers at 24.2 years old. The Rockets rotation so far has been younger than that of many youth-heavy rebuilding teams, like Sacramento Kings, the Charlotte Bobcats, the New Orleans Hornets and the Orlando Magic. It is a full 7.2 years younger than that of the LA Lakers, the oldest rotation so far in the league.

Just thought the "Why McHale no play rookies?! Why McHale hate young playaz?!" crew might want to know these facts.

Complete list below:

<style type="text/css">
    table.tableizer-table {border: 1px solid #CCC; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;} .tableizer-table td {padding: 4px; margin: 3px; border: 1px solid #ccc;}
    .tableizer-table th {background-color: #104E8B; color: #FFF; font-weight: bold;}
    </style>

<table class="tableizer-table">
    <tr class="tableizer-firstrow"><th>Rk</th><th>Team</th><th>Age</th></tr> <tr><td>1</td><td>Cleveland Cavaliers</td><td>24.2</td></tr> <tr><td>2</td><td>Houston Rockets</td><td>24.6</td></tr> <tr><td>3</td><td>Portland Trail Blazers</td><td>24.6</td></tr> <tr><td>4</td><td>Sacramento Kings</td><td>24.9</td></tr> <tr><td>5</td><td>Charlotte Bobcats</td><td>25.1</td></tr> <tr><td>6</td><td>New Orleans Hornets</td><td>25.3</td></tr> <tr><td>7</td><td>Detroit Pistons</td><td>25.4</td></tr> <tr><td>8</td><td>Philadelphia 76ers</td><td>25.4</td></tr> <tr><td>9</td><td>Washington Wizards</td><td>25.6</td></tr> <tr><td>10</td><td>Toronto Raptors</td><td>25.8</td></tr> <tr><td>11</td><td>Indiana Pacers</td><td>26</td></tr> <tr><td>12</td><td>Golden State Warriors</td><td>26</td></tr> <tr><td>13</td><td>Milwaukee Bucks</td><td>26.2</td></tr> <tr><td>14</td><td>Oklahoma City Thunder</td><td>26.2</td></tr> <tr><td>15</td><td>Denver Nuggets</td><td>26.3</td></tr> <tr><td>16</td><td>Utah Jazz</td><td>26.4</td></tr> <tr><td>17</td><td>Orlando Magic</td><td>26.7</td></tr> <tr><td>18</td><td>Minnesota Timberwolves</td><td>26.9</td></tr> <tr><td>19</td><td>Memphis Grizzlies</td><td>27.2</td></tr> <tr><td>20</td><td>Atlanta Hawks</td><td>27.4</td></tr> <tr><td>21</td><td>Phoenix Suns</td><td>27.4</td></tr> <tr><td>22</td><td>Brooklyn Nets</td><td>28</td></tr> <tr><td>23</td><td>Dallas Mavericks</td><td>28.3</td></tr> <tr><td>24</td><td>Los Angeles Clippers</td><td>28.4</td></tr> <tr><td>25</td><td>Chicago Bulls</td><td>28.8</td></tr> <tr><td>26</td><td>San Antonio Spurs</td><td>29.1</td></tr> <tr><td>27</td><td>Boston Celtics</td><td>29.3</td></tr> <tr><td>28</td><td>Miami Heat</td><td>30.5</td></tr> <tr><td>29</td><td>New York Knicks</td><td>30.6</td></tr> <tr><td>30</td><td>Los Angeles Lakers</td><td>31.4</td></tr></table>

#1 Carl Herrera, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
    2 people like this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

LOL @ Lakers. Nash hasn't even played much yet.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well, the whole point of the McHale criticism is that the "veterans" aren't that much older/more experienced than the rookies. So it's not gonna drop the average very much if the rookies were played.

4. Carl Herrera

But raising or dropping the weighted average age of the rotation isn't the point of coaching, or of basketball. The points are (1) trying to win games, and (2) trying to increase the skill level of your roster as a whole (and thus increase the value of your "assets").

I am not sure why playing 2nd yr men Morris and Smith over the 3 rookie PFs, for example, is bad for either of these goals.

To the extent that Morris and Smith, who learned while sitting on the bench, working in practice and the D-League last season, have more of a clue as to what's going on than the likes of Motiejunas, White and Jones, it makes sense for them to be out there over the rookies.

Also, you know who else's development would benefit from some teammates who have more of a clue what needs to be done? Jeremy Lin, James Harden, Chandler Parsons and Omer Asik, each of who only have 1 to 3 years under his belt.

#4 Carl Herrera, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  5. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The argument that we need to play our rookies strikes me as odd. Our bench has been bad, but only because of our play at backcourt with Toney Douglas and Carlos Delfino being inconsistent. Marcus Morris, Cole Aldrich and Greg Smith look good so far. There's no reason to throw our NBA ready rookie out to replace those guys yet (T. Jones), and the rest of them are way too raw (Motiejunas, White) or would exacerbate our backcourt problems (shooting/defense with Machado).

People just need to chill.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I wasn't arguing about whether the rookies warranted to be played. I was just responding to your comment about how the average age "proved" that the criticism of McHale not playing the rookies was invalid. You implied that since we were already extremely young, there was no point criticizing the coach of not playing the young guys. I was just pointing out the flawed logic of your statement.

7. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

But I think CH's point is that the entire team is young guys. If the whole team consists of young guys who need to develop, then why are people mad that the coach plays the young guys who can actually play well rather than the young guys who are not yet ready to play?

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not everyone who advocates playing the rookies does so for development. Many people's criticism is that some rookies played well, even better than the veteran in preseason. Why are they not given a chance when the veterans aren't playing well, especially when the veterans aren't that much older and more experienced than the rookies.

CH's point is valid with the development criticism. It works the opposite with the performance criticism.

9. Carl Herrera

The only rookie that I can see in terms of possibly being ready to perform against regular NBA competition is Terrence Jones. I don't see being clearly above the guys who are presumably taking his minutes in terms of readiness to perform. Patterson hasn't shot well, but is more than solid defensively against a couple of tough assignments. Marcus Morris, who took Jones' backup PF role, has been a spark off the bench the last 2 games-- and if you want a better offensive option than Patterson, you can hardly complain about what Morris put up. The other guys who played briefly at 4 are Parsons in a small-ball lineup that helped seal the win against the Pistons in the 4th quarter and Smith in 2 minutes in the 3rd quarter.

The team is 2-1, with the only loss coming in overtime. Not bad for a team that is still trying to get its starters and regulars to establish some chemistry.

1 person likes this.
  10. roxxy

roxxy Member

In general. It usually isn't wise to just toss player in the fire like that. I agree that the person who would be most prepared to play would be terrence jones. Also if Morey is trying to get a final evaluation of Morris, Patterson, Smith & Coleit would be wise to get them the majority of the playing time while the young guys watch games and improve in practice.

In terms of those asking to play Scott over TD that won't happen. Scott's defensive liability would just get the team destroyed. He struggles to get his own shot off so that makes him easy to defend also I doubt he will handle NBA athleticism off the bat like that even if it is just against back ups. I am thinking of the back up players he would go up against and it wouldn't be pretty. Guys like Bledsoe, Jason Terry, CJ Watson, Calderon would really give him trouble. Not to say that Douglas would play any better though but at least with Douglas you have a guy that has been around the block some.

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

if lillard was on this roster, i'm not entirely sure that mchale would have him playing ahead of douglas

12. redlawn

redlawn Member

Surprised to see Heat are older than the Spurs and Celtics.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

Indeed. We all know what happened the last time McHale the coach had a high lottery rookie on his roster. Kevin Love had his ass glued to the bench for... wait a minute, he played 81 games in his rookie season at 25mpg.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

wittman had already been playing love for 5 weeks before mchale became coach

15. Carl Herrera

McHale started Parsons.

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

...8 games into the season, after a 2-5 start w/ budinger struggling

17. LBJ-Tmac

LBJ-Tmac Member

This is actually one of the most knowledgeable threads and discussion in the last few days, I think what coach is doing is great, and the team is doing well.

Hopefully with more practise time we can see what coach comes up with if after 10 games our offense is still stalling then we can change it up, but for now there is not much to complain about except wait and watch.

(Although backup PG is an issue)

18. LBJ-Tmac

LBJ-Tmac Member

But that's the point, if someone from the rotation starts struggling really badly i'm sure he'll give Jones a look. Right now our problem is the backcourt and we don't really have any options there.

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i can agree with this. but i think the opportunity for jones was there the past 2 games when greg smith was out with injury. morris took away some of those minutes (deservedly), but he is still a non-factor defensively, and in any case we could have used some fresh legs for a few min in the portland game.

it seems to me that with jones' strong showing in preseason, that he was actually projected to get some rotation minutes from opening night onwards, just like parsons did. but i suspect the harden trade might have changed that up, just from the standpoint that mchale himself didn't want to deal with any rookie mistakes since he already had the task of incorporating harden into the lineup.

20. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I no care about weighted average. Why McHale no play Rookies :confused: