1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA scoring champ this season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DrNuegebauer, Nov 1, 2012.

1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Is Harden realistically in the running for the title?

As the stats show, when he played without Durant at the Thunder, his per 36 minute scoring average was 29 per game. Is it reasonable to think he might actually average in the high 20s per game for us?

Not an 'overreaction thread' - a discussion thread. Do you think he's a chance? why/ why not??

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Over the long-haul 82, Harden won't lead the NBA in scoring, but I definitely see him in the top 10. Possibly top 5. How he does during the dog days of Jan & Feb after teams have trained their guns on him for a while will tell a lot.

3. King Boo

King Boo Member

Last year the top 3 were Durant, Kobe and Lebron. I think Kobe and Lebron will score less this year just because of the additions to their teams.

So I think it'll be between Durant and Harden. Harden definitely came out of the gate looking like he wanted to prove something. In the words of Bill Simmons, this may just be an "FU season" for James :grin:

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i dont know but with his passing to and the beard. add in jeremey lin and you have one of the hottest teams in the nba to cover this year.

5. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Yes he'll have every opportunity to score as many points as he wants.

Until teams start doubling him of course!

6. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

i highly doubt he keeps up his scoring output..

7. bongman

bongman Member

Not sure if you don't see the irony here. It was the first game.

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

No - I'm not sure I do see the irony here (there's a distinct lack of it).

The point has been well made that he averaged 29 points per 36 when not playing alongside Durant. For those who (foolishly) didn't believe he could score against "starters" (like he hasn't been) - he blew up today without actually shooting an incredible clip.
    Clearly he'll get as many shots as he wants this year, and so here's the point for discussion: is he a contender for the scoring title?

I haven't said he is or he isn't, just wondering what people's thoughts are early on. Why shouldn't we make a thread so people can come back later and say "told you so"

9. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

will be Durat or Lebro

10. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

He has a chance. /jimcarrey.jpg

11. lalala902102001

If Harden plays 40 minutes and takes 25 shots every night he's got a very good chance to compete for the scoring champ. And on this Rockets team I think that is what he has to do for us to have a chance to compete every night. This is going to a HUGE year for James Harden barring any injuries. He was almost 85/50/40 (elite shooting) last year and if he stays anywhere close to that efficiency he can easily score in the upper 20's with the number of shots he will get.

12. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I believe that Harden will score close to 30ppg this year.

1 person likes this.
  13. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

In agreement. I hope people don't dis Harden when he scores half of that next game because he has said he will do the other things, if his shots are not going down. He definitely needs to take more shots because he has good shooting form and whatever he throws up, it goes in.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

his scoring efficiency is just mind-boggling. ditto for his his bball IQ. it's scary to think about what kind of player he can become in the next few years.

15. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

That Detroit defense was clown shoe garbage. I don't expect Harden to be able to have that much offensive success every night (though I hope he can).

16. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

We had some garbage plays as well..

Harden is an elite scorer, everyone already knew this.. Now he has a chance to really showcase those talents
    He's not going to be scoring champion but he's only 23. The NBA is his oyster right now

Give it a season or two and he will very much be in the scoring champion discussion

17. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I think he will lead the league in Beards.

18. Classic

Classic Member

I could see him in the 25 to 27 range. The only thing that limited his scoring in OKC was teammates [thus # of shots] and # of minutes.

He is the man here and will get 38 to 44 min a night on the reg. No reason why if he's getting 20 to 25 shots a night he can't be up there.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If Harden's scoring efficiency continues despite his increased usage rate there is definitely a chance.

What's interesting about this team is that there are a lot of good parts on it, but no one outside of Harden is really a "scorer."

20. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Certainly early*, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was in the running. Let me rephrase that: I expect him to be.

Of the players in the top 5 in scoring the last few years, he above the rest has the biggest green light to score as much as possible for the betterment of his team.

That light is flashing neon with a runway strip.

*Don't get me wrong: one game into the season, heck even before everyone has played is the epitome of knee jerk.