1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will NY Match???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by primtim24, Jul 16, 2012.

?

Will NY Match

Poll closed Jul 30, 2012.
  1. Not a chance they match

13.5%
  2. They could, but I doubt it

42.6%
  3. Right now it's 50/50

25.8%
  4. They probably will

13.5%
  5. They will 100% match it!

4.7%
  1. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

We of course have until Tuesday @12e.t. before we will officially know, but despite all of the "leaked" reports I still feel there is a pretty high chance that NY matches our offer sheet. I know the "poison" kicks into high gear during the 3rd year, but what about the 1st 2?

If Jeremy Lin is going to make NY so much money in jersey sales, cable deals, global marketing, etc., why would they NOT match him? If they do think that is too much money I still don't see why they wouldn't match him. I understand that come year 3 the luxury tax will be crazy high for them, but that's not until year 3. And if he isn't worth that kind of money come year 3, he'll be a $15million dollar expiring contract right?

So what do you think what are the chances that they match? Wondering what everyone else thinks.

(Mod's, please merge with appropriate thread if necessary)

2. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Money may not be a concern to Dolan, but respect is. If Lin disrespects Dolan, then maybe Dolan won't want Lin around.

3. thejav

thejav Member

TUE 11:59PM...

4. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

5. King901

King901 Member

Why would the merge? There arent any other Lin thread out there talking about him or the contract. Especially the one that isnt stickied...

1 person likes this.
  6. OremLK

OremLK Member

We don't need another thread on this.

The reasons NY might not match are twofold:

1) They feel that Jeremy betrayed their trust by taking their word that they would match the offer sheet and having the Rockets up their offer.

2) Luxury tax is MASSIVE now. Is Jeremy Lin really worth $50M for one year? Does any professional team pay any single player that much money? From the Knicks perspective that's what they're looking at.

7. QazQay

QazQay Member

NO.

Morey the genius tricked them into committing salary for year three then ramped up the offer sheet so that we could get him.

8. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

Given our luck, they probably will and are just trolling us at the moment. :(

9. WNBA

WNBA Member

they wont.

Dolan is pissed.
    Jr Smith and Melo openly do not like Lin.
    Lin has been brainwashed by Morey to think Knicks do not want him.

Even if they match, they will have a big mess.

10. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Like I said in the beginning, it isn't massive until year 3 and they wouldn't be paying Jeremy Lin $50 million. And the main point is that the 1st 2 years are very reasonable.(In NY terms)

11. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

The risk is if he doesn't not bring Linsanity in the future, he may be untradable with that contract.

The risk is much lower on Rockets sid because it is $8M/yr + the Rockets salary cap management.

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

What is their current salary obligation in 2014/15?

58.8 million in Amare, melo and Chandler.

Plus:

Novak 4yr/15 million 3.75

Kidd 3yr/9 million 3

Camby 3yr/13 million

So assuming all are fully guanteed they have AT LEAST 70 million in 6 players.

13. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

We get him or we don't, it's gravy. Hilarity will ensue if Lin gets dragged back into that circus.

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

I didn't even realize how bad it was. Holy sh** that's a terrible payroll situation and even with Lin they're still only an average team. :grin:

15. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Keep the thread. I want to see the poll results.

I voted 50/50.

16. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Poll does indeed make this thread a unique snowflake.

17. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

The possible $50 million more or less figure comes from the fact Dolan would have to pay the 3rd year of Lin's contract plus the extra tax penalty for being over cap.

18. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Agree partially esp because they seem to be painting Lin in a way as to justify not matching later (ie he's selfish). Also the Carmelo comment was way over the line - calling another teammates contract ridiculous is a no no.

However, there's the $600m in increased value to cablevision (?) since Linsanity began. Don't know how much the true value really is, but you can bet the marketing people and the tv partners are talking to Dolan right now about matching from a business perspective. Also, if Lin comes I think Dwight will stay (china market, which might possibly make up for loss of ny market). Once Dolan realizes this he will get pissy and pay us back by matching Lin and trying to trade him later even though it might be hard to do.

19. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

If they match, that will only serve to screw the Rockets.

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

The thing is I don't think they're actually very upset with the Rockets about this. They're more pissed off that Lin went behind their backs, told them he was signing a lower offer and then turned around and upped it after they said they'd match. Dolan probably sees it as a betrayal of trust.

They're less concerned with screwing the Rockets and more pissed off at Lin.