1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Blinebury] Deadline deals to spice up Rockets lack a strong kick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by infinitidoug, Mar 16, 2012.

1. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/features/fran_blinebury/03/15/rockets-trade-deadline/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Say it Fran, say it! ;):p

Good article from him.

#2 J.R., Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. teebone21

teebone21 Member

F*** the LEAGUE!! THey dont promote us , wont put our games on national TV, and dont even show full highlights of our games. Now after a long time of use being promoted on their site we this this weak Sh**

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

"The poet once said the fog comes in on little cat feet.
    In that case, Daryl Morey continues to tip-toe around like a ninja kitten across a bed of marshmallows."

Dude what's going on? People still write like this? It's like reading the Hardy Boys or something. No offense to Fran, I like the guy, but c'mon.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I kind of don't want to say it, but he's spot on (leaving aside the corny metaphors).

6. conquistador#11

that was a deep article. you just don't find writers of that quality anymore.

=/

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I don't see how you can get pissy with Daryl for tip toeing around everything when we already know he made a *splash* trade. Blockbuster deals require both timing and preparation. You're not going to be able to score one every single offseason or deadline.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

does the nixed deal count?

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Wow, that article was pretty disrespectful to Camby/Fisher. The sentiments within could have easily been found here on ClutchFans, with lesser wordsmithing ability, of course.

10. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

He speaks as if we have had any other choice. Wtf do you want a team to do after it just lost its two superstars in the past 2-3 years? Tank? ***** that.

11. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Fran is still a hater, guess getting laid off by the Chronicle didn't soften him up.

12. skyline07

skyline07 Member

what can you really do if no one wants to come to this city? only solution is just tank and hope a superstar gets drafted and force him to stay.

13. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not a pair of super exciting move, but it's not the GM's job to excite the fan base. They got their plan of trying to land a "big fish" through trade or free agency (whether we like it or not) and are executing it. No superstar deals were available (the best players traded at the deadline Gerald Wallace, Monta Ellis a slumping Nene, and injured Bogut). So, they took the walk and give the next batter a chance to drive him in. These deals help set up future possiblities.

Making the playoffs would make the team a more attractive destination for good free agents (the kind you want care about winning)-- I think the fact that the Rockets missed the playoffs the last 2 years (albeit with .500+ records) have hurt their chances with star free agents (and free-agents-to-be) and the value of their players. Hopefully Camby gets the team into the playoffs and gives guys like Lowry and Scola to showcase their talent.

While tanking is a legitimate strategy, they've come too far this season to really tank, so making a significant addition like Camby to fill a hole is the way to go especially when it costs you almost nothing.

As for the Fisher trade, the team managed to land a 1st rounder without making much of a dent in their possible cap room for next summer. The pick doesn't look like much, but it's another thing to be thrown into a trade.

It takes 2 teams to make a deal. Given that Dwight Howard is staying in Orlando for 1 more year and the Lakers have decided to keep Gasol and make one more run, there isn't anything that the Rockets can do about it (other than perhaps doing something that they don't think would be smart to do, like trading Kyle Lowry). They did the smart thing: better prepare themselves to fight another day.

It's not that hard to make "splashes" if you are willing to willing to overpay to for 2nd-tier guys who are "big names" but not quite elite (like signing Mo Taylor, or trading an expected lotto pick for Gerald Wallace, who has the option of becoming a FA this summer). However, those moves tend to put you farther away from both your short term and long term goals.

2 people like this.
  15. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

I love the trades. We got rid of the 2009ers (all except Bud :( ) and we can make post season.

16. ApuN

ApuN Member

Funny

I don't remember Blueberry dedicating this much Ink when Stern stabbed us in the back when we could have gotten Gasol and NeNe.

I could be mistaken but I just don't remember it....

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Careful Fran, you already had one GM try to knock you the eff out ...

18. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Dude, the "Ninja Kitten" visual is AWESOME.

19. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Am I the only one who put my fingers on my PC screen and tried to make this larger, but forgot I'm not on my iPhone?

Anyways...

20. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

FYI, hold control and scroll your mousewheel up and down to resize browser fonts (most browsers).