1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jonny Flynn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SHOtyme, Mar 1, 2012.

1. SHOtyme

SHOtyme New Member

Hi i just registered here. As I follow around Jonny Flynn. And as some of you may or may not know, he does play for the Rockets.

And im woundering WHY he isnt getting any playing time? I dont see any reports about an injury, and he was healthy enough to play at the beinging of the year for the Rockets.

I thought I read some where that they were resting him, and he would play again after the all star break. So I waited and waited for the all star break and now it over and the Rockets have played twice. And even last nights game where they lost by 20+ points, why Flynn didnt get any playing time.
    And why it looks like he was the ONLY player the coach didnt let play, that was healthy enough to play.

I know they didnt renew his contract and they even had an option to move him to LA or NY a month or 2 ago. So, what I see is. They dont wanna pay him, they dont wanna play him, and they dont wanna trade him. Do they have a grudge against him :( Im sure that isnt the case. But what gives?

Anyone got any info for why this is?

OHH and also, after registering here. I thought it would be simple enough to just search Flynn on this site and see what comes up. But their is NO search option on this site. And the one I did find, told me I dont have permission to use it. I dont understand why a Reg user cant use the search option :confused:

2. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

He doesn't play because he sucks.

That plus the fact that Lowry and Dragic are both playing really well.

3. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

He doesn't play because he sucks.

That plus the fact that Lowry and Dragic are both playing really well.

4. arjun

arjun Member

because he a steve francis...without being able to do all the things that made steve francis great

5. valorita

valorita Member

He doesn't play because he brings nothing positive on the basketball court.
    -dribbles without purpose
    -can't create for himself or his teammates
    -bad individual and team defender

the truth is, daryl probably thought long and hard about keeping lin, a no-name, undrafted, non guaranteed contract over flynn, #6 pick, guaranteed contract.

the athleticism that set him apart is no longer there.

6. Red&BlackPudman

Honestly, how can you say he sucks?? He put up good numbers before as a very young player with basically no one around him. He then got injured, and now he's basically fully recovered.

You are right with your second comment. The only reason why he isn't playing is because the Dragon and Kyle are playing at a high level. I personally would like to move the Dragon because I believe he's going to get offered a nice contract for next year. I also think if we send him somewhere with Louis, draft pick, and an 09'er/T-Will, we could get a pretty damn good player.

Bottom line, I'm not giving up on Flynn. I think he is a smart player who is a true PG. The guy can flat out handle and dish the rock.

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I think he would flourish on a team that plays heavy P&R. Other offenses, not so much...

8. Red&BlackPudman

Have you seen him play significant minutes this year?? I'm confused as to where you are getting this opinion of Johnny dribbling without a purpose and not being able to create shots for himself and his teammates. I with you that he needs work on defense.

9. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

No, this never happened. If you mean his 13 PER and 0 win shares as a rookie, putting up 13 points, 4 assists, and 3 turnovers on .417 shooting, those are just numbers. Not to be confused with GOOD numbers.

Flynn doesn't play because Dragic and Lowry are proven NBA point guards. Flynn looked good coming out of college and has proven nothing since except that he knows how to take shots, pass, and dribble, none of them particularly well.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I don't understand either. During preseason he was right on par with Lin. Those who disagree, check. He even had better assists than Lin and not as many turnovers. He should be playing imo. Especially last night.

11. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I don't know how he is performing in practice, but the few times he got minutes in games he showed nothing at all. All I can tell you is he has nice handles, and that is the problem, he dribbles too much. When we got him I thought it was great and that there would be a PG logjam/competition. But after seeing him at the start of season realized he had lost something. Maybe his confidence is gone, and he has lost a step (probably due to injury).

Lowry and Dragic are the pg's (1 & 2), so Flynn was gonna have to play a hell of a lot better to get any of their minutes.

12. Red&BlackPudman

You on judging him on his ROOKIE season. 13.5 points and 4.4 assists on a CRAP team shooting 36% from 3 and 83% from the free throw line is good in my book for a first year PG. If we judged every player by their rookie stats then we would say a lot of players suck in the NBA. We just haven't seen him play this year. I'm just saying not to judge the kid until he gets significant minutes. Call me crazy or whatever, but I still have faith he could be a legit backup PG.

13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

The answer to the OPs question is - Flynn is buried behind Lowry and Dragic at the moment, who are playing at a much higher level than Flynn has shown. But, we'll probably be moving Dragic before the deadline - as he is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season and we wont want to pay him what the market will dictate. Therefor, we have been holding Flynn to fill that gap when it occurs.

as far as quotes like 'he sucks' etc.... why do some people have to be such dickwads with their snide comments... whats the problem? Mommy and Daddy not give u enough love, so now u gotta snipe at the world - get some class....

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It is definitely due to injury. You are talking about a guy who missed the majority of last season with a bad hip. The time you got to see him play was his first time back on the court. He was bound to be rusty after such a long wait. He never even got a real chance and because of the schedule, he hasn't had much practice.

15. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

this..

16. Red&BlackPudman

Exactly what I've been trying to say all along. No one should hate on anybody wearing Rocket Red unles his name is Brad Miller. I F-ing hate that guy.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think he is ready for a Lin like emergence.

18. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I hope so. I know he may have been rusty and that the schedule hurt him, because not much practice time. Although it was a small sample size I was disappointed in what I saw in the minutes played (and I'm a Flynn fan). I root for him, and hopefully he can get minutes somewhere (if not here).<p>If this was a lottery team I would really want to trade Dragic and let Flynn play, but that is not the case.

19. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I didn't bring up his past performance, you did.
    All I am saying is that he has never put up stats befitting a good NBA player as you claim. Raw point and assist numbers are worthless without efficiency context. Throw in field goal percentage and turnovers and there is no argument in existence for Jonny Flynn: Good NBA Player without going back to college, which clearly is not the NBA.

I'm not saying he sucks myself, I'd like to see him get a chance to get run in spot minutes as well (as I would like for anyone on our bench...once the game is statistically 'over', see what you have stashed back there).

But you want to remove the specific details of past performance you brought up yourself, fine. Here's the reason: Goran Dragic has proved with multiple teams in a 4 year career spanning 69 hours of court time that he is an NBA caliber backup point guard. Jonny Flynn has potential to be an NBA caliber backup point guard, but has not in his 3 year NBA career spanning 57 hours of court time showed that as a whole, he is an NBA caliber point guard (which reflects upon more than just pure scoring and assists, but upon turnovers, efficient shooting, and defense).

20. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

Oh yeah, and maybe my expectations were too high for him. That may be why I was disappointed.