ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

[clutchfans]McHale on why Rockets cut Jeremy Lin
Tags:  basketball, clutchfans, houston rockets, jeremy lin, nba, youtube Tags
tinman is offline Old 02-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
tinman
Contributing Member
tinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: May 1999
Member: #485
http://rockets.clutchfans.net/2472/m...ut-jeremy-lin/

Sponsored Link
Sooty is offline Old 02-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
Sooty
Contributing Member
Sooty is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #26472
I can't watch the video right know. Someone care to summarize?

Shroopy2 is offline Old 02-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
Shroopy2
Contributing Member
Shroopy2 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchShroopy2 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchShroopy2 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchShroopy2 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchShroopy2 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchShroopy2 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchShroopy2 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchShroopy2 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Feb 2003
Member: #10896
Its too bad Daryl Morey can't speak as candidly about it as McHale can, though I'm sure he'd LOVE to. Its just a different set of expectations for the GM

JaWindex is offline Old 02-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
JaWindex
Contributing Member
JaWindex is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jan 2005
Member: #16080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooty View Post
I can't watch the video right know. Someone care to summarize?
Just a numbers game. We had 3 point guards under contract and Lin got few looks during training camp.

Oh well.

Northside Storm is offline Old 02-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
Northside Storm
Contributing Member
Northside Storm is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchNorthside Storm is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchNorthside Storm is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchNorthside Storm is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchNorthside Storm is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchNorthside Storm is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchNorthside Storm is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchNorthside Storm is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchNorthside Storm is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Dec 2007
Member: #29665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroopy2 View Post
Its too bad Daryl Morey can't speak as candidly about it as McHale can, though I'm sure he'd LOVE to. Its just a different set of expectations for the GM
Really would come to the same thing though---love the guy, but no space on the team.

Hope in all things (especially the Rockets)

Depressio is offline Old 02-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
Depressio
Contributing Member
Depressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Mar 2009
Member: #39392
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaWindex View Post
Just a numbers game. We had 3 point guards under contract and Lin got few looks during training camp.

Oh well.
The crappy part about it is that if we had been successful in the Gasol trade early on, we wouldn't have had Dragic. Likely Lin would've out-played Flynn, but we wouldn't have had to cut him regardless. Because of the Gasol trade, we'd have had cap room to sign Nene.

In other words, had David Stern not vetoed the trade, our line-up would be:

Nene/Hill
Gasol/Patterson
Parsons/Budinger
Lee/Williams/Morris
Lowry/Lin

The Rockets finally get that superstar deal they've been looking for for years... and the NBA Commissioner vetoes it. Gee, I wonder why Parsons is in the Shooting Starts competition, Budinger is in the dunk contest, and Houston got the 2013 All-Star game? Reparation?

Cstyle42 is online now Old 02-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
Cstyle42
Cstyle42 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodCstyle42 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Aug 2008
Member: #33157
That's why you create space but cutting Flynn. If there was no space then why entertain him by bringing him in...

Clutch is offline Old 02-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
Clutch
Administrator
Clutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroopy2 View Post
Daryl has been pretty candid about it, I think.... I give him a lot of credit for being gracious about it and taking responsibility for missing it. To me though, Daryl deserves more praise than 27-28 other GMs -- he actually saw something in Lin as being a capable backup and picked him up with that intention (assuming Dragic was traded).

I don't blame the Rockets for cutting Lin ... it's a shame they couldn't move Flynn, but without the Gasol trade, they had no room. I am pissed it's happening for the Knicks, though, given the draft pick debt.

"My kid's asleep. I've eaten dinner. I'm ready to get on ClutchFans." -- Ron Artest

arjun is offline Old 02-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
arjun
arjun is Omer Asik -- working the boardsarjun is Omer Asik -- working the boardsarjun is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: May 2006
Member: #17957
Yeah, I think I'm infatuated with Kevin McHale right now.

Northside Storm is offline Old 02-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
Northside Storm
Contributing Member
Northside Storm is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchNorthside Storm is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchNorthside Storm is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchNorthside Storm is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchNorthside Storm is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchNorthside Storm is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchNorthside Storm is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchNorthside Storm is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchNorthside Storm is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Dec 2007
Member: #29665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
I don't blame the Rockets for cutting Lin ... it's a shame they couldn't move Flynn, but without the Gasol trade, they had no room. I am pissed it's happening for the Knicks, though, given the draft pick debt.
i'll shudder if the legacy of that trade is that we missed out on one of the greatest point guards of this generation.

Hope in all things (especially the Rockets)

arjun is offline Old 02-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #11
arjun
arjun is Omer Asik -- working the boardsarjun is Omer Asik -- working the boardsarjun is Omer Asik -- working the boards
I just want to hear more and more of Kevin Mchale's thoughts.

arjun is offline Old 02-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #12
arjun
Quote:

Agreed.

joesr is offline Old 02-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #13
joesr
joesr is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finejoesr is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Aug 2008
Member: #33500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstyle42 View Post
That's why you create space but cutting Flynn. If there was no space then why entertain him by bringing him in...
So they can play 5 on 5 for the few days of training....

MyPlayer on NextGen, please change 'The Park' method of multi-player.

thegary is offline Old 02-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #14
thegary
Contributing Member
thegary is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herethegary is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herethegary is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herethegary is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herethegary is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herethegary is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herethegary is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herethegary is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #6066
Quote:
I am pissed it's happening for the Knicks, though, given the draft pick debt.
i'm not a knicks fan but i hate them far less than most on this board for obvious reasons. a relevant knicks team is good for the NBA overall. the city is pretty jacked. i just, as you say, am pissed given the draft pick debt.

Clutch is offline Old 02-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #15
Clutch
Administrator
Clutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegary View Post
i'm not a knicks fan but i hate them far less than most on this board for obvious reasons. a relevant knicks team is good for the NBA overall. the city is pretty jacked. i just, as you say, am pissed given the draft pick debt.
I hear ya ... the Knicks won't matter one iota to me starting in late April. Until then though, I don't give a @#$% about the health of the league... I care about my health as a Rockets fan

"My kid's asleep. I've eaten dinner. I'm ready to get on ClutchFans." -- Ron Artest

emjohn is offline Old 02-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #16
emjohn
Contributing Member
emjohn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeememjohn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeememjohn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeememjohn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeememjohn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeememjohn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeememjohn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeememjohn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeememjohn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeememjohn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeememjohn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Member: #6332
It's all good for the PR, but these soundbites from McHale and Morey are more spin than unvarnished truth.

Was Lin demonstrating he was THIS GOOD at the time? No. But we all noticed him in the preseason. The stone cold truth is, they weren't going to eat a guaranteed contract (stays on the cap, too) in order to roll the dice that Lin might be more than a preseason flash in a pan, especially not with Lowry and Dragic owning the PG rotation.

It's not damning in itself, but it's one more brick in the wall for Morey. His moves in the past two years have been a series of backfires.

“There's a difference between interest and commitment. When you're interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstance permit. When you're committed to something, you accept no excuses, only results.”

thegary is offline Old 02-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #17
thegary
Contributing Member
thegary is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herethegary is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herethegary is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herethegary is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herethegary is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herethegary is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herethegary is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herethegary is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Member: #6066
Quote:
I hear ya ... I care about my health as a Rockets fan
yup, gotcha.
lin is a great story happening to the wrong team.
but hell, we had our chance.
hard to hate the kid though.

BleedRocketsRed is offline Old 02-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #18
BleedRocketsRed
Contributing Member
BleedRocketsRed is Omer Asik -- working the boardsBleedRocketsRed is Omer Asik -- working the boardsBleedRocketsRed is Omer Asik -- working the boardsBleedRocketsRed is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jul 2009
Member: #43195
Really like Lin but really am hoping that Knicks fall into the lotto.

Carl Herrera is offline Old 02-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #19
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Carl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2007
Member: #22691
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjohn View Post
It's all good for the PR, but these soundbites from McHale and Morey are more spin than unvarnished truth.

Was Lin demonstrating he was THIS GOOD at the time? No. But we all noticed him in the preseason. The stone cold truth is, they weren't going to eat a guaranteed contract (stays on the cap, too) in order to roll the dice that Lin might be more than a preseason flash in a pan, especially not with Lowry and Dragic owning the PG rotation.

It's not damning in itself, but it's one more brick in the wall for Morey. His moves in the past two years have been a series of backfires.
Not sure where the spin is, your "stone cold truth" is pretty much what Morey and McHale said happened.

avn81 is offline Old 02-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #20
avn81
avn81 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #5031
Lowry, Lee, Parsons, Gasol and Nene

That's a really good defensive five. It lacks an elite perimeter scorer but that team would have conference final potential. Sucks that Stern caved and vetoed that trade. I don't believe Stern at all when he speaks on the vetoed trade. He says that the trade never had his approval and he wasn't aware of it. Then why did everyone involved in the trade get the impression it was a done deal? I know this is old news but I wasn't upset when the trade was initially vetoed. But some time removed from it I'm bummed after seeing Parson's emergence as defensive force, Lowry's improvement and how the West feels wide-open.