1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[clutchfans]McHale on why Rockets cut Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Feb 23, 2012.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

I can't watch the video right know. Someone care to summarize?

3. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Its too bad Daryl Morey can't speak as candidly about it as McHale can, though I'm sure he'd LOVE to. Its just a different set of expectations for the GM

4. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

Just a numbers game. We had 3 point guards under contract and Lin got few looks during training camp.

Oh well.

5. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Really would come to the same thing though---love the guy, but no space on the team.

6. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

The crappy part about it is that if we had been successful in the Gasol trade early on, we wouldn't have had Dragic. Likely Lin would've out-played Flynn, but we wouldn't have had to cut him regardless. Because of the Gasol trade, we'd have had cap room to sign Nene.

In other words, had David Stern not vetoed the trade, our line-up would be:

Nene/Hill
    Gasol/Patterson
    Parsons/Budinger
    Lee/Williams/Morris
    Lowry/Lin

The Rockets finally get that superstar deal they've been looking for for years... and the NBA Commissioner vetoes it. Gee, I wonder why Parsons is in the Shooting Starts competition, Budinger is in the dunk contest, and Houston got the 2013 All-Star game? Reparation?

7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

That's why you create space but cutting Flynn. If there was no space then why entertain him by bringing him in...

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Daryl has been pretty candid about it, I think.... I give him a lot of credit for being gracious about it and taking responsibility for missing it. To me though, Daryl deserves more praise than 27-28 other GMs -- he actually saw something in Lin as being a capable backup and picked him up with that intention (assuming Dragic was traded).

I don't blame the Rockets for cutting Lin ... it's a shame they couldn't move Flynn, but without the Gasol trade, they had no room. I am pissed it's happening for the Knicks, though, given the draft pick debt.

9. arjun

arjun Member

Yeah, I think I'm infatuated with Kevin McHale right now.

10. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

i'll shudder if the legacy of that trade is that we missed out on one of the greatest point guards of this generation.

11. arjun

arjun Member

I just want to hear more and more of Kevin Mchale's thoughts.

12. arjun

arjun Member

Agreed.

13. joesr

joesr Member

So they can play 5 on 5 for the few days of training....

14. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i'm not a knicks fan but i hate them far less than most on this board for obvious reasons. a relevant knicks team is good for the NBA overall. the city is pretty jacked. i just, as you say, am pissed given the draft pick debt.

15. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I hear ya ... the Knicks won't matter one iota to me starting in late April. Until then though, I don't give a @#$% about the health of the league... I care about my health as a Rockets fan :)

16. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It's all good for the PR, but these soundbites from McHale and Morey are more spin than unvarnished truth.

Was Lin demonstrating he was THIS GOOD at the time? No. But we all noticed him in the preseason. The stone cold truth is, they weren't going to eat a guaranteed contract (stays on the cap, too) in order to roll the dice that Lin might be more than a preseason flash in a pan, especially not with Lowry and Dragic owning the PG rotation.

It's not damning in itself, but it's one more brick in the wall for Morey. His moves in the past two years have been a series of backfires.

17. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

yup, gotcha.
    lin is a great story happening to the wrong team.
    but hell, we had our chance.
    hard to hate the kid though.

18. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Really like Lin but really am hoping that Knicks fall into the lotto.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not sure where the spin is, your "stone cold truth" is pretty much what Morey and McHale said happened.

20. avn81

avn81 Member

Lowry, Lee, Parsons, Gasol and Nene

That's a really good defensive five. It lacks an elite perimeter scorer but that team would have conference final potential. Sucks that Stern caved and vetoed that trade. I don't believe Stern at all when he speaks on the vetoed trade. He says that the trade never had his approval and he wasn't aware of it. Then why did everyone involved in the trade get the impression it was a done deal? I know this is old news but I wasn't upset when the trade was initially vetoed. But some time removed from it I'm bummed after seeing Parson's emergence as defensive force, Lowry's improvement and how the West feels wide-open.