ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Look who's back: Rockets sign Trevor Ariza to a four-year, $32M deal

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

David Stern does not want us to have 2 high draft picks?
Tags:  alien conspiracy, basketball, bulls, david stern, houston rockets, los angeles lakers, nba, nene, new york knicks, pau gasol, playoffs, thunder, trade Tags
rockets06 is offline Old 01-23-2012, 01:19 AM   #61
rockets06
rockets06 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jul 2009
Member: #43186
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamshake97 View Post
so the last 2 years we were 9th in the west and the #14 lotto pick… BUT this year stern is gonna slip us in at the 8 spot so we can get the #15 draft pick!

verrrrrryyyyy sneaky Mr Stern…..
Our pick goes to NJ if we make the playoffs it's lottery protected. But hopefully NY continues to loose so we get a top 10 pick.

Sponsored Link
Burko is offline Old 01-23-2012, 01:29 AM   #62
Burko
Burko is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Dec 2010
Member: #47952
David Stern = Blair Witch

dutchbut is offline Old 01-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #63
dutchbut
Contributing Member
dutchbut is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jul 2001
Member: #2794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
What would you do if you were me... seriously?

a) remove the guy's thread-starting ability.
b) Just delete the thread.
c) Let it ride and we all look like idiots.
D)Boot to the head!

Mad2ThaMax11 is offline Old 01-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #64
Mad2ThaMax11
Mad2ThaMax11 is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Since: Dec 2011
Member: #49945
C..... Not that I am an idiot, this is just too funny. What is funnier, I think he actually believes in what he posted.

I am cool with A or B too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
What would you do if you were me... seriously?

a) remove the guy's thread-starting ability.
b) Just delete the thread.
c) Let it ride and we all look like idiots.

Buckcheeks is offline Old 01-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #65
Buckcheeks
Buckcheeks is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jun 2011
Member: #49038
A. The NBA isn't a reality show. Go watch the Bad Girls Club if you like that sort of thing.
B. Trading for Pau, signing Nene and signing Hayes would have made us number one in the West? Really...?

Smacktle is offline Old 01-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #66
Smacktle
Contributing Member
Smacktle is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2007
Member: #28337
OFF WITH HIS HEAD!

plutoblue11 is offline Old 01-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #67
plutoblue11
plutoblue11 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsplutoblue11 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsplutoblue11 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsplutoblue11 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsplutoblue11 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsplutoblue11 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Dec 2006
Member: #19851
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterThanEver View Post
It's impossible for the worst team to fall to 6-7th in the lottery. Only the top 3 picks are chosen through the lottery. Even if the worst team lost out on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd pick, they automatically get the 4th pick.

If the 2nd worst team missed out on the first 3 picks, they would draft 4th. Unless, the 1st team missed out all 3 picks too.

I can't name any teams that were left with only the 6th-7th pick in the lottery, when they had the worst record.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevon3012 View Post
This is pretty amazing that you have seen the worst record get the 6th/7th pick. Oh wait it's not because it's impossible because the lowest they can pick is 4th. Nt fail point.
Despite the weighted odds, the Orlando Magic managed to win the lottery in 1993 with only 1 chance to obtain the first pick as they were the best non-playoff team in the previous season. In October 1993, the NBA modified the lottery system to give the team with the worst record a higher chance to win the draft lottery and to decrease the better team's chances to win. The new system increased the chances of the worst team obtaining the first pick in the draft from 16.7 percent to 25 percent, while decreasing the chances of the best non-playoff team from 1.5 percent to 0.5 percent.

http://www.nba.com/history/draft_evolution.html

Obviously, they changed the process, several times, while I wasn't necessarily talking about the specifically about the current procedures of the lottery. It happened in 1993, when the Magic somehow got the first pick, again, even though they were 41-41, because it was a weighted lottery based on 14 teams and no pick was guaranteed a certain spot in the early weighted lottery (ping pong ball system).

1993-94 (93 Draft): Orlando Magic (1st pick - 41-41 record in the previous year)

1990-91 (90 Draft): Miami Heat (tied for the 2nd worst record in the league at 18-64) ... Draft pick number #9 - Willie Burton
http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../NBA_1990.html

1991-92 (91 Draft): Houston Rockets (14th best record in the league, ended up at 11th, ahead of Miami Heat. What's unusual about that? Well,

It can and would happened, though often in a system that was based purely on weighted proportions (Weighted Lottery System) between all of the non-playoff team. If you posters were paying attention to the topic was talking about it would make perfect sense, as I was talking about using a weighted lottery system in the NFL to dissuade tanking, possibly. I said typically wouldn't happened, because of the odds, but it did happen in the NBA. WHile, they did finally change it to where the worst teams do not pick lower than 4 spots from their finishes in the regular season.

Well, @guardian it makes for a nice change...at least I didn't wake up to the internet telling me I was dead again.

— Patrick Stewart (@SirPatStew) February 18, 2014

zcity is offline Old 01-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #68
zcity
Contributing Member
zcity is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #5117
and he'll do it for one million dollars . . .

Nero is offline Old 01-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #69
Nero
Nero is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchNero is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchNero is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchNero is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchNero is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchNero is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchNero is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchNero is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchNero is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4588
On a positive note, I have now decided to explore the possibility of coming up with a new hair-sanitizing product called 'Delousinal'.

DELOUSINAL - For all your delousing needs!

Human testing will begin shortly..

"Don't count that chicken before it gets laid." - Milo Hamilton

"Gay marriage is not unnatural and happens in many different species in nature." - FranchiseBlade

"Give it to me!" she screamed, "I am so wet, please please give it to me!" She could scream and beg all she wanted, I was not giving her my umbrella.

BetterThanEver is offline Old 01-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #70
BetterThanEver
Contributing Member
BetterThanEver is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBetterThanEver is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBetterThanEver is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBetterThanEver is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBetterThanEver is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #25693
Good information, but it will confuse other posters. Once the top 3 picks are decided by the lottery, the rest of the picks are seeded by record with the worst record first. It's been like this since 1987, and the lottery has been in effect since 1985. That's almost the entire lottery history with the exception of 2 years.

I can't find any team with the worst record that dropped to 7th place. It's impossible. They are guaranteed 4th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutoblue11 View Post
1990-91 (90 Draft): Miami Heat (tied for the 2nd worst record in the league at 18-64) ... Draft pick number #9 - Willie Burton
http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../NBA_1990.html
In the 1990 draft, Miami was tied for the 2nd worst record. They won the 3rd pick and traded it to the Nuggets. The 9th pick was received in a trade from Washington via Dallas.

Since the first 3 picks were decided, the rest of the picks went by record. Orlando Magic had the worst record out of the rest of the teams, so they selected 4th.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-draf...ry/?syear=1990

Quote:
1991-92 (91 Draft): Houston Rockets (14th best record in the league, ended up at 11th, ahead of Miami Heat. What's unusual about that?
In the 1991 draft, It would have been based on the 1990-1991 season. The Rockets were 6th in the Western Conference, but had the 8th best record overall. After the first 3 picks were decided, it was reseeded by record. The Rockets had the 20th worst, which placed the Rockets at the 20th pick.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../NBA_1991.html
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-draf...ry/?syear=1991

In the 1992 draft, the Rockets had the 11th worst record of the lottery teams. After the first 3 lottery picks were chosen, it was reseeded by record and the Rockets received the 11th pick.

Lottery teams by record.
1) Wolves
2) Magic
3) Mavs
4) Nuggets
5) Bullets
6) Kings
7 and 8) Hornets and Bucks (tie)
9) 76ers
10) Hawks
11) Rockets

http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../NBA_1992.html
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-draf...ry/?syear=1992

Quote:
It can and would happened, though often in a system that was based purely on weighted proportions (Weighted Lottery System) between all of the non-playoff team. If you posters were paying attention to the topic was talking about it would make perfect sense, as I was talking about using a weighted lottery system in the NFL to dissuade tanking, possibly. I said typically wouldn't happened, because of the odds, but it did happen in the NBA. WHile, they did finally change it to where the worst teams do not pick lower than 4 spots from their finishes in the regular season.
I don't want new posters to get confused and think the lottery is completely open. The first 3 picks are the only picks decided by the lottery. The rest of the lottery is decided by worst record first.

It has been like this since 1987.

http://www.nba.com/history/draft_evolution.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by nba.com

1987-Present: Top Three Teams
Under a procedural change adopted by the Board of Governors in October of 1986, the Lottery determined the order of selection for the first three teams only. The remaining non-playoff teams selected in inverse order of their regular season records. Therefore, the team with the worst record in the league was assured of picking no worse than fourth, the team with the second-worst record no worse than fifth and so on.

Morey keeps saying that Patterson was ranked 6th on their draft board. If that is the case, he either got real lazy and didn't do a lot of scouting or he got one F'd up draft board.

(edit)...my top 10 ranking
(edit)...Patterson either 12 or 13.
(edit)...6. Greg Monroe 7. Al-Farouq Aminu 8. Paul George 9. Cole Aldrich 10. James Anderson

Last edited by BetterThanEver; 01-23-2012 at 09:33 PM.